help identifying followspot lamp

ebull

My school doesn't have a spare followspot lamp, and I think we should, so I'm trying to figure out what we should get as a spare. The current one has "K365" on the base, and there might be a digit following that - it's very light and hard to read. The socket is mogul prefocus, and the current lamp looks to have a combination mogul prefocus/screw base.
Does anyone recognize this lamp?
Thanks for you help. IMG_0829.JPGIMG_0830.JPG

Google your spotlight's name make and model and you should be able to find its manual/specs online which will include the lamp.

its been a while but it looks similar to our old highschool lamps. Post pics of the spot itself and we should be able to help

My school doesn't have a spare followspot lamp, and I think we should, so I'm trying to figure out what we should get as a spare. The current one has "K365" on the base, and there might be a digit following that - it's very light and hard to read. The socket is mogul prefocus, and the current lamp looks to have a combination mogul prefocus/screw base.
Does anyone recognize this lamp?
Thanks for you help.View attachment 7124View attachment 7123

The odd base and the swollen shape of the quartz burner may be specific to the particular to the specific lamp vendor, as compared to the lamp type. Looks like something in the 1500 to 2000 watt range. Mogul Prefocus and LCL (lamp center length) are the key elements for finding a compatible lamp.

In other words, it may be a very common. Here's a good place to start (for the sake of the pictures!) : Mogul prefocus base - TheFind

According to the GE book, that lamp base type looks precisely like a P40s (not the WW2 fighter), and the globe type would indicate either a 1000w T16, or a 2000w CP53. No idea what fixtures used that particular lamp.

Thanks for all the help. I measured the LCL just to check and it matches with DTA/DTJ.
Here's the followspot itself, as well as our ancient followspot that I've never seen working. Someone seems to have wired the old one up with a 360Q or maybe 360 cap dropped inside the reflector - I don't know how it worked originally. Arc, perhaps?
IMG_0834.JPGIMG_0832.JPGIMG_0831.JPGIMG_0839.JPGIMG_0835.JPGIMG_0836.JPG

...as well as our ancient followspot [Century LekoLite] that I've never seen working. ... I don't know how it worked originally. Arc, perhaps?
Not a "real" followspot, just a radial ERS being used as one; perhaps the first Source-Four-on-a-stick ? Not arc, originally took a 1000W-3000W incandescent lamp, likely similar to 1500T24/6:
i|120v|1500w|g38|t24|cl.jpg

I'm guessing your DTA followspot is by Little Stage Lighting Company, very similar to an Altman Altspot, or perhaps Capitol Stage Lighting Co.

I'm guessing your DTA followspot is by Little Stage Lighting Company, very similar to an Altman Altspot, or perhaps Capitol Stage Lighting Co.

The paint color, red knobs, toggle switch and the way the body is flanged out where the hood meets the lower tray screams Little to me. Everything else says Capitol. The black knob on the access door may be a replacement as Little (or at least the model I've seen) used a longer red knob. This may be a newER model, as a Little spot I had (the F-10 Opto within the attached catalog) used a scissor design for focusing, and had top-mounted iris and shutter controls (the trap door was only situated over the lamp and reflector, much like a Dyna-Spot.

Capitol and (Altman still uses) a more tapered design on the front and rear of the barrel assembly, resembling a routed edge, but I have seen older Capitols without this feature. My money is still on Little though. The metalwork and ventilation looks different than what Altman has ever used (and their basic design hasn't changed much in that the Dyna-Spot, 1000Q and even Comet all share very similar features and concepts) and I believe the Capitol models were the same as Altman in these regards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back