Help on what these are? GAM SX4

These were installed in a high end clothing store for whatever reason. I was told by the manager whom turned the keys back over that they were installed and used for the first month. After that They were tired of all the reflections in the mirrors (if that makes any sence) and never used them again. They left them when they moved out. I plugged them all end, and the bulbs turned on. That's pretty much all I knew about them until what I've learned on here.

That's exactly the scenario I imagined. (Well, except for the mirrors part)

I wanna know who spec'd barn doors for them. I bet it was "for looks".

That's exactly the scenario I imagined. (Well, except for the mirrors part)

I wanna know who spec'd barn doors for them. I bet it was "for looks".

Yep, pretty sure it was for the looks. While barn doors could potentially have some potential to control unwanted flare, it is unlikely that would be the case with white ones. Even black ones and flocked half hats redirect some light.

Overall, you didn't get a bad deal here for having to spend some clean up time in your property. You should be able to get at least some odd number of thousand dollars when all is said and done. The other option, if you feel generous, may be to donate it to a local school, religious center or non-profit theater arts company and take the tax write off. Just saying, Pass Along the good fortune.

The listing looks great! Those are some nice looking fixtures. With your conservative starting bid, you will definitely get some interest (most people would jump on just fixtures for that price, let alone the accessories). I'll be watching the auction to see what happens -- I'll bet you double that $750 at least!

**** if I had a week or two more I'd maybe jump all over those. I'm just starting and haven't had the "we need to buy more fixtures" talk with my new bosses, even being white those are in great shape.

A $10 can of Rustoleum High Heat Enamel Spray can fix that.

I think ETC charges an additional $100ea. for white painted fixtures.
I'd like them, but since I just bought my second Ion last week, I shouldn't.
I can hardly wait for Wisconsin to build my new one, I heard the factory can't keep them on the shelf they're moving out so fast.

sx4 power supply

so I recently just got used gear, and some things where missing. I got two source fours one with a 6 gobo sx4 tray from gam and the other with a nondmx loop try sx4 from gam. the loop tray came with a power supply but the gobo rotator didnt. I looked up the power supply I needed and it almost looks like I can mod what I have to work without buying a new power supply.

so here are my questions? I am new to using 4 pin scroller cable in general.

1. the power supply I have goes from the wall to a 3 pin xlr. the power is input: 120v ac 60hz 12w. the output is 12v dc 500ma. This is the one gam sells for what im trying to power. can I make a cable that goes from 3 pin with power to 4 pin with power and data. what im thinking is just like in the picture of the original?

2. if I can make a convertor like above i know i use dmx cable for the data portion, but what do i use for the lines carrying power?

3. I was reading that 4 pin scrollor cable still needed to be terminated do they make 4 pin terminators?

4. if i was daisy chaining my dmx run could I come out of the gobo rotator with dmx and not power to continue the run?

thank you
Giovanni Laucella

Re: sx4 power supply

From what I gather from GAM's site (not particularly helpful) you should be able to use any standard 4-pin accessory power supply with your devices. You could use the one from GAM, Apollo makes some in multiple wattages, and Rosco makes some as well. You can even use a Chroma-Q supply as well. There are some Wybron units that would work, but you would have to make sure that you didn't use a ColoRamII PSU as they are wired differently. The Forerunner PSUs and I believe the new RamIT supplies are wired the same as everyone else's.

Some other notes:

so here are my questions? I am new to using 4 pin scroller cable in general.

1. the power supply I have goes from the wall to a 3 pin xlr. the power is input: 120v ac 60hz 12w. the output is 12v dc 500ma. This is the one gam sells for what im trying to power. can I make a cable that goes from 3 pin with power to 4 pin with power and data. what im thinking is just like in the picture of the original?
NO, since your loop tray in NON-DMX, the power supply that came with it, can only be used with it. It is specifically designed for that unit and no adapter will make it work with the other unit you have. It might work with other GAM products that are NON-DMX, but it WILL NOT work with DMX products.

2. if I can make a convertor like above i know i use dmx cable for the data portion, but what do i use for the lines carrying power?
First of all, there is no converter you can make in this situation. If you look at 4-pin accessory cable, one pair of cables is designed for data, the other for power. Also, accessory power supplies provide 24VDC, and thus are not interchangeable with the PSU for non-DMX trays in this system.

3. I was reading that 4 pin scrollor cable still needed to be terminated do they make 4 pin terminators?
Yes, apollo make a 4-pin terminator, but best practice in these 4-pin systems is to run a return line from the output of the accessory back to the PSU (where possible-some PSUs don't have a return)

4. if i was daisy chaining my dmx run could I come out of the gobo rotator with dmx and not power to continue the run?
Can you? Yes. Should you? No. First of all it would require building a non-standard adapter, and second, it really is just not the best idea. If you need more DMX runs, invest in a splitter. Opto-spitters are the best, but some of the other low end splitters work just fine and are significantly less expensive. Just make sure you actually use a splitter, and not just Y-cable.

Thank you for the great info and answering my questions. I have some martin dmx splitters so I will just give them there own "line". I'll start shopping around for PSU's is there one brand that anyone would recommend over the other? I only have one device as of right now so i wouldnt need something the powers a lot of fixtures.

thank you
giovanni

Thank you for the great info and answering my questions. I have some martin dmx splitters so I will just give them there own "line". I'll start shopping around for PSU's is there one brand that anyone would recommend over the other? I only have one device as of right now so i wouldnt need something the powers a lot of fixtures.

thank you
giovanni

would suggest that you look at PSUs that are full blown units like the Apollo SmartPower 200 as opposed to the ones like you linked to from GAM that are just a connector on the end of a laptop power supply. I say this mostly because it allows you room to grow on one PSU, and it will be a little more rugged.

would suggest that you look at PSUs that are full blown units like the Apollo SmartPower 200 as opposed to the ones like you linked to from GAM that are just a connector on the end of a laptop power supply. ...
Well, I'll argue the opposite. Are you handy with a soldering iron? If you ONLY want to run the SX4, get a surplus 24V power supply, an A5M, A4F, and some wire, and build one yourself. You'll also need an A4M and 120Ω resistor to build a terminator, DMX. For pin-out s do a search on here for color scrollers. I believe dramatech has discussed building his own scroller power supplies.

proxy.php

Apollo Design | Smart Power™ 75W Power Supply

proxy.php

Apollo Design | Data Terminator

I was the winner! turns out that he also had two glass gobos with holders inside the other two fixtures.

Well, I'll argue the opposite. Are you handy with a soldering iron? If you ONLY want to run the SX4, get a surplus 24V power supply, an A5M, A4F, and some wire, and build one yourself. You'll also need an A4M and 120Ω resistor to build a terminator, DMX. For pin-out s do a search on here for color scrollers. I believe dramatech has discussed building his own scroller power supplies.

proxy.php

Apollo Design | Smart Power™ 75W Power Supply

proxy.php

Apollo Design | Data Terminator

derekleffew I think im am going to try and make it to try and save some money. since im only powering one fixture I was thinking that a 40w power supply will be enough. I found this one that seemed to match up pretty well. I going to buy my connectors and dmx cable from fullcompass

itie-albums-my-photos-picture5489-screen-shot-2011-09-06-7-50-36-pm.png

I have to buy ten feet of it but im sure Ill find a use for it. i'm pretty good with soldering so my main concern is that im buying the right psu at the correct specs. Just out of curiosity if i were to buy this psu i would be able to power 4 fixtures correct?

oh and i found this pin out sheet very helpful.

thank you
giovanni laucella

Users who are viewing this thread

Back