Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

[action=soundlight]is envious![/action]

That's a pretty cool design. If only I even had that many lights...

These are pictures from my favorite high school production about 4 years ago. I was a one man show, teaching in a poor urban high school. I did "Once Upon a Mattress" on a $1000 production budget.

This is a shot of the set including the massive bed. The Castle Wall is 1 1/2 inch insulation foam from Home depot carved and painted for texture. Hanging above the set is cheesecloth the low budget lighting designer's best friend.
proxy.php

This is shot of the start of the ball sequence. I had a really crazy friend doing choreography. We hated the traditional "Lawrence Welk" music so we changed the dance. It started out with a lot fun 60's dance moves instead. Note the cool red cheesecloth... that's just 4 fresnels and some cheese cloth.
proxy.php

Then we went disco... cue "stayin alive". I flew in a mirror ball, streamers and some bad wig's appeared.
proxy.php

Here is my most recent show. It was an educational Shakespeare sampler that ran for a week here at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA.

http://web.mac.com/ldsfx/iWeb/C052D4E3-BA5E-4C83-8075-652DD8C37FA8/Shakespearience!.html

If you click on "Seasons of Love" in the navigation pane on that page, you will see another show I did recently. This was my first show with Rose Brand's ShowLED star drop and it freakin rocked! It was definitely worth the $500 from the budget, not to mention the lack of frustration from not having to light a cyc.

LDSFX said:
Here is my most recent show. It was an educational Shakespeare sampler that ran for a week here at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA.

http://web.mac.com/ldsfx/iWeb/C052D4E3-BA5E-4C83-8075-652DD8C37FA8/Shakespearience!.html

If you click on "Seasons of Love" in the navigation pane on that page, you will see another show I did recently. This was my first show with Rose Brand's ShowLED star drop and it freakin rocked! It was definitely worth the $500 from the budget, not to mention the lack of frustration from not having to light a cyc.

wow thats nice work, I always thought that running lights for something like a sampler would be difficult to design for.

Nah, the entire show is a scripted "play within a play" so its really been a great experience being with this show for so long.

Recently I did the design for the middle school show at my school. The show, wasn't terribly "deep" or "emotional" but very children's theatre-esc and campy.

It was a lot of fun, and I had to really crunch to use what we had in stock as far as fixtures because we had some - ehem - issues with a certain teacher of ours. Anyway, onto the pictures...

http://www.andrewleitchfilms.com/internet

a few things to note. In the primarily blue photo, the shot doesn't show it but the whole scrim is washed fairly well with a blue up to about 3/4s of the way up - then it goes black.

Sorry for the picture quality, I tried to keep the colors and quality the same but it's difficult. Any advice on that also would be nice.

I'm pretty happy about how it turned out - especially with the constraints. Take a look, it's deff not amazing like some work here, but there isn't a whole lot of room to put in very bold statements.

Andrew

looks good! what were the ...ahem... problems?

Our theatre director, who isn't coming back next year after working here for only one year (hmm i wonder why...) somehow managed to shake up, break or just screw up quiet a few lights so we didn't have time to repair them.

Heres 2 pics of CATS that we put on in Feb. I was on the light crew, and ran one of the 3 follow spots during the show. Hope you guys like them!

Attachments

• CATS 1.jpg
    CATS 1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 365
  • CATS 2.jpg
    CATS 2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 386

Keep up the Great work. I like the look, and the lighting. Effective and extremly attractive.

Well this happened months ago and I'm still sorting through pictures. I have some reallly cool ones, some really blurry ones, I'll post when I get a chance. The DVD is coming out really soon though, so I'll see if I can steal any shots from there. In the meantime, this was our crazy booth setup.

One of the consoles is rented, and one is not. Let's guess which one.

Seriously though, if you ever get a chnace to work with the Maxxyz, try it. It's one of the most intuitive things I've ever worked with, a junior and two sophomores with absolutely no prior instruction or experience were able to program and run an entire two hour concert/variety show with it no problem. *salivate.*

Anyways, the booth setup was freaking crazy. As you can see, we had the two boards (Fun fact. The external monitor mounts seemed to be the PERFECT size for popo lights. Who knew?), with the ClearCom in between. (the monitor on top we had running but never really used). The insane thing of that was, is that what you see here was RAISED 2 feet off of the ground, on choral platforms we lugged up there (holy bajesus.) In FRONT of the platform you see was a little "trench" of 5 spotlights (our two Lycien midgets, and the "zoom on a stick" Luminators). It was the most amazing booth setup ever, everyone could see and operate, and it just worked perfectly. I couldn't get a wide shot of the booth, but it was amazing. EDIT: if you look under the desks, you can see the chairs that were in the SpotTrench, to give you a better idea.

You can see in the background most of our rig and set (I designed both). 10 Mac 700's (Absolutely amazing), 15 Studio Spots, and 4 Technobeams (which we must have used, persay, twice in the entire show). Yes, the price tag was rediculous, and I've already been reassured it will never happen again. Oh well. My only regret was that I was just kind of thrust into designing everything--I had absolutely no experience whatsoever with any intelligent lighting--and so I could have used my funds much, much more effectively. But oh well. MainLight was really nice and gave us a great discount, at any rate. (Senseless plug! What can I say, I'm grateful.)

Oh right, the picture.

proxy.php

Last edited:

umm, the pics? I really wanna see what you did with those.

??? Someone else had a problem with my linked pictures in another thread, why are they not working? :evil: !

TRY this direct link to the photograph first: http://www40.brinkster.com/darsax/DSCF0007.JPG

Here, I'm also attaching a smaller version to this board (just realized today you could do that)

I can't do it tonight because I have an AP (urk!) exam tomorrow, but I'll put up photos of the actual show (some amazing ones) within the next couple days.

Attachments

• BOOTH2.jpg
    BOOTH2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

Hey FXDrew, that's actually pretty incredible. I take it then, that both you and the set designer weren't students? (I'm just curious, if you guys were than holy bajesus)

Another thing. Did you put lights in the I-Beams under the highway-type thing? (They seem lit up, and that seems like it'd be a pretty good place to put them, but yea)

All in all, that's absolutely amazing work. (Both you and the set designer)

At the time I was a student and the Set Designer was a former student (he's actually 12 years older than me). It was an incredible design considering neither of us had formal training in Lighting/Scenic design. All our knowledge came from books on the subject. We were in the "if we think it'll look good, then let's do it" spirit. I wasn't too thrilled about laying out and personally roto-zipping all those windows out in the skyline, but man did it look good.

We did put lights behind the i-beams. Here is a photo of it: http://www.madpainter.com/shows/2001/Detail/WSS/WSS_15.htm
and here:
http://www.madpainter.com/shows/2001/Detail/WSS/WSS_16.htm

Thanks! (if you want to check out more shows, look at http://www.madpainter.com)

hot *!@#*!@#*!@#*!@# FXdrew, that has to be one of the best sets I have seen, and that was a HS set!?

Pie4Weebl said:
hot *!@#*!@#*!@#*!@# FXdrew, that has to be one of the best sets I have seen, and that was a HS set!?

I cross my heart and hope to die... that is a High School set, Designed and TD' by a student that graduated from that school (you would never guess that he is actually a SQL programmer, one of the top in the nation), and everything else was built/designed by students. I actually won the best student lighting in the state of MN that year for the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back