Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

Nice, I've had to produce a couple of shows in a student union type situation, and it's not easy! I like the grass, Now days it's so much easier to get a good look of grass with products like synlawn, it's not like it used to be, having to settle for astro turf.

Just did our last show in that hole (Our Town not much set). Our next show is at the Edmonds Center for the Arts which was written up in this month's Live Design Magazine. We have a sort of partnership with them (i.e. The College gave them a million bucks for the remodel and now we rent from them). It's a beautiful space but I'm still building the set in my 10X12 garage at home so I'm not expecting miracles... hopefully it won't rain (the sets get scaled back when it's raining and I can't use the driveway as well for construction).

Sigh... Only 5 months until the theater is built and I have a real shop. I just discovered that my loading dock/personal parking space is covered. YES!!

So just got back from doing a short tour in Germany and Croatia with DK Ibomeka and The Diva Jazz Orchestra. So here are a few pics from the show.

Show Pics

JH

gafftapper--I read that article about the center in Live Design a few a weeks ago, seems like they did a really nice job renovating that space...I hope its all the article says its cracked up to be.

I'm in the middle of production on Les Miserables at my high school. We go up in 3 weeks, load in starts tomorrow. I've got to drive down to the city (my school is about 2 hours north of NYC) with a 24' truck and pick up the majority of the rental. I've got a lot of stuff coming in for this show, but this show really demands it. I hope I can do it justice. I have attached some PDFs of the plot. As soon as I get some pictures taken during rehearsal I'll post those so you all can see how things are coming.

Attachments

• Les Miserables  07 24x 36 pg. 1.jpg
    Les Miserables 07 24x 36 pg. 1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 422
  • Les Miserables  07 24x36 pg. 2.jpg
    Les Miserables 07 24x36 pg. 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Les Miserables  07 24x36 pg. 3.jpg
    Les Miserables 07 24x36 pg. 3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 289

Jezza, You may be intersted in seeing how another production of Les Mis looked. I took these pictures at a high school show I consulted on last Fall. Warning: there are almost 890 photos from that show there.

Those look great Ben. I wish I had the luxury of a cyc or a scrim for this show Unfortunately, I don't have that adventerous of a scenic designer for this show so I am being relied on heavily to bring the audience to new locations with lighting and projection. We'll see how things turn out. My load in starts today...190 intstruments...170 conventionals, 12 CK ColorBlasts, 5 VL2500s, 6 Wybron Coloram IIs, 2 DLP projectors, et all. Wish me luck!

Here are some pics of my lighting design/me working on design for "Glass Menagerie"

Me in the third catwalk at my old high school.
proxy.php

Playing with cyc colors. The tall white towers are actually part of the band shell, but we used them to simulate tall buildings. Plus they make perfect surfaces for color.
proxy.php

And finally, the completed (almost, there is one instrument that had elluded patching at this time) design.
proxy.php

Last edited:

Thar tis again. Modern high school theaters never cease to amaze me. I don't understand how any school district can find enough money for an amazing facility such as that.

Thar tis again. Modern high school theaters never cease to amaze me. I don't understand how any school district can find enough money for an amazing facility such as that.

We got an $8million grant for it. Though it looks nice, it has some seroius problems. Like half the onstage lighting sockets don't work. Or the fact that the loading dock is 2m too high. Or how about having house lights that are almost impossible to change. Or how about the only catwalk that doesn't have repeating circuitsbeing unusable because of an archetectural mistake.

However, it did get a full ETC install, with an Expression 24/48. unfortunately, there were no good controls for the two moving lights provided. I think I found a way around that, but nobody has told me if my idea worked.

Now I am in a different state and currently working with a Congo... er, yeah.

Last edited:

Whatever you did on the back wall, whether it be gobos, slides, or projections, it's magnificient.

Whatever you did on the back wall, whether it be gobos, slides, or projections, it's magnificient.

it is a combination actually. I had originally planned on using just gobos, but my director, whom we swear was born in a foundry due to an affinity for steel, had something even better for me to work with. If you notice the scaffholding on SR and something we referred to as "the sculpture" on SL,you willnoticethey are lit from below. These structures became my gobos and the images added another ten feet of percieved depth to the set. And to think I was getting angry at her for putting setpieces in the way of my throws. It all worked out great though.

What was really cool for me though was that I was the first student ever asked to do a lighting design in that new facility, not to mention that was my first ever lighting design.

Ditto. I've always gotta thing for projections and gobos on cycs...unfortunately in the venues I work in a lot, it's quite hard to do w/ their inventory and electric space. Nice job! I love sorta surreal stuff like that.

I'm going to have to take some pictures of our play on the 26th and 27th.

It's here.

proxy.php

The spot fixtures are all Mac 700 Profiles
The hanging wash fixtures and the two outer wash fixtures in the pit (that are on) are Mac 700 Washes
And the center pit wash (and the two, unlit outermost pit washes) are Studio Colors.

proxy.php

I'm kinda excited.

The spot fixtures are all Mac 700 Profiles
The hanging wash fixtures and the two outer wash fixtures in the pit (that are on) are Mac 700 Washes
And the center pit wash (and the two, unlit outermost pit washes) are Studio Colors.
proxy.php

I'm kinda excited.

that is incredibly neat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back