High fog for theatre?

AyCee

Hi guys, I am just thinking out loud, so pardon me if I sound silly. heh...

I am currently thinking of simulating clouds on stage, but not those kind of low-lying fog on the stage deck, but "clouds" that are floating overhead, so that the stage is literally like a scald down Earth. I know for low-lying fog one would use chilled fog machine and a quick-dissipate fog liquid is needed to "control" the fog so that it doesn't go everywhere.

So my question here is, can I use a chilled fog machine with a quick-dissipate fog liquid to create the above-mentioned effect tehnically, if I am able to hang it high up near the grid (in a black box theatre)?

If you were to use a chilled fog machine in the grid the fog would quickly sink to the stage floor. To get the effect you are describing you would want to use a regular smoke machine in the grid. Since the smoke that comes out of the machine is hot it will rise and stay near the ceiling, until it cools down and starts to sink.
However, any theatrical smoke or fog will set smoke detectors if it were thick enough to resemble a cloud. If you have a AC or a ventilation system, the smoke would get blow around and turn into haze. Plus, I'm not sure how happy the lighting designer would be, since it would diffuse all the lighting.

Yes, there are ways to make it work, but I don't think you would like the results in a black box theater. It would work better in a larger space. Since a black box is a flexible space, how do you intend to have your audience situated? If you are essentially setting up a proscenium space, possibly you could hang some grey or black scrim teasers and project on them with a cloud sequence. It would partially bleed through the first couple of layers, giving you some dimensionality to the image.

Hi silicsound and ruinexplorer. Thanks for the replies. I am actually trying to build an Asian cosmic model of the Earth on stage, and I need to represent the elements of wind (air), water, earth and fire. I have all other elements represented already, and this cloud effect is something that just came to my mind and not even sure it will work technically or aesthetically, so trying to gather feedbacks. Looks like I have to scrape that. Thanks anyway for the replies! :)

possibly you could hang some grey or black scrim teasers and project on them with a cloud sequence
Saw this and thought I would throw out a quick warning. I tried this before for a show, it DID NOT WORK. I didn't think about it beforehand, but the shadow of the projection of the scrim in front of the screen combined with the scrim itself made a nasty moire effect that almost made you feel nauseous while sitting in the house (due to the two different images coming from your two eyes, I presume). I imagine multiple layers of scrim would be even worse. It might be able to be done but you have to be very careful and methodical about it.

Saw this and thought I would throw out a quick warning. I tried this before for a show, it DID NOT WORK. I didn't think about it beforehand, but the shadow of the projection of the scrim in front of the screen combined with the scrim itself made a nasty moire effect that almost made you feel nauseous while sitting in the house (due to the two different images coming from your two eyes, I presume). I imagine multiple layers of scrim would be even worse. It might be able to be done but you have to be very careful and methodical about it.

What's the distance between your scrim and screen?

What's the distance between your scrim and screen?

Originally it was about 1-2 feet, then we tried putting them right up against each other. The goal was to use a black scrim to dim a white cyclorama to try to get better contrast / better blacks as a projection surface and maybe add a little depth at the same time... in hindsight it was a stupid idea and we scrapped it entirely.

Sorry that you weren't able to get it to work. I have successfully done this for a long running show with no ill effects. Certainly I can understand the effect you ended up with and how this could cause eye strain.

Sorry that you weren't able to get it to work. I have successfully done this for a long running show with no ill effects. Certainly I can understand the effect you ended up with and how this could cause eye strain.

No problem. We screwed it up because we didn't plan it well. :p Just saw your post and it brought back memories, so I had to throw out a warning about what can happen if you don't do it right. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back