Holely C-clamp Batman

JChenault

I just got a set of Altman C-clamps from my friendly neighborhood distributor, and noticed that there is a new hole in the C Clamp. ( Bottom right of the clamp in this image)

IMG_0589.JPG

I can't figure out what it is for. Neither can the guys at PNTA. Any ideas?

Safety cable.
Now, why you would run it to the clamp, which can break, is beyond me. I wouldn't use it. (the hole, that is.)
Or, you could loop through both I guess.

Secondary safety cable for hanging maybe.

or

Maybe a way to store them, run a cable through them and hang them instead of running the bolt each time *shrug*

Well makes it easy to write the specifications.

"No c-clamp shall be provide that contains a hole of any kind"

"No c-clamp shall be provide that contains an unthreaded hole of any kind"

That ought to close the loophole...

Except for the hole used by the stem.

"C-Clamps shall only contain 2 holes, one for the fruck-me-nut, the other for the stem".

Bitch with spec's is you can try to write them tight then get shot down for being deliberately exclusive of a particular company.

But seriously, I've no clue what the Altman extra hole is for.

"C-clamps shall be constructed of machined aluminum and possess a clearly-visible SWL of no less than 600lbs"

I just got a set of Altman C-clamps from my friendly neighborhood distributor, and noticed that there is a new hole in the C Clamp. ( Bottom right of the clamp in this image)

View attachment 14308

I can't figure out what it is for. Neither can the guys at PNTA. Any ideas?
Are they powder-coated?
In one of my 'lives' I used to deal a lot with a laser-cut custom metal fab' and powder coating shop. EVERY piece of metal I wanted powder-coated had to have a small hole in it somewhere to facilitate hanging for its trip around the powder-coating line. Sometimes I already had a hole CAD'ed in which was workable. Other times we'd have to agree where I could tolerate a 'bonus hole' for hanging.
Just a thought.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Most of the sidearms for a lot I purchased recently have similar holes in them. I assumed it was for safetying the sidearm itself, since otherwise there's no way to prevent it from falling if it's undertightened or mishandled. That being said, it still leaves the eternal question of, "What do you safety it to?" still open.

Most of the sidearms for a lot I purchased recently have similar holes in them. I assumed it was for safetying the sidearm itself, since otherwise there's no way to prevent it from falling if it's undertightened or mishandled. That being said, it still leaves the eternal question of, "What do you safety it to?" still open.

Well presumably the reason for the safety is failure of the clamp and/or side arm. Thus the reason for the safety attachment point on the S4 unit body.

Every clamp failure I've seen (2 in 41 years) has been a result of overtightening of the square head bolt while clamped to a steel pipe and I've only ever seen a failure as a cracked clamp that I could subsequently break in two by hand, with the crack having already started on the inside and propagating to the outside at the 90 bend, right where the hole is located on this new clamp. I've never had a clamp fail resulting in a falling fixture.

If a side arm failed, the weakest link and presumed failure would be of the cast aluminum c-clamp, same as if attached to a unit directly. Thus the rest of the side arm would stay bolted to the fixture - which has a safety.

Certainly, use of the traditional side arms and as still sold, begs the question of what all do you safety too ?, as a clamp failure sees the entire fixture(s), safety and all, sliding down the vertical pipe. I have seen a steel pipe clamp with hole, mounted to a vertical boom pipe, above the top instrument, with a master safety cable that all others safetied to. I've also seen used a tie-off ring on the threaded top of a boom. I haven't seen this in decades though.

Thus I've no clue what the intent of this hole is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back