Homemade Electric on/off box

Not to change the topic but in further discussing or understanding distribution unit design problems and concepts, continuing the topic and further detail of the US/Euro wired E-Stop from last week might be useful.

Doing US/Euro power supplies is very difficult - where the industry is going but hard to engineer something that’s universal - not as easy as a switchable moving light power supply or just changing the lamps in a fixture. Many companies are working on such gear and soon will have UL listings on it, but most at least power supplies have very difficult problems to overcome first. My big boss’s want’s such gear badly, and TBA more and more, all new gear we make these days as with this project have this “world tour” concept in mind with it. (Means I need to go to school for Euro wiring and code more than I have.) At the shop in buying and building the gear, we are working on this vision, it’s not cheap or easy to get and there is major differences that require huge compromises or changes at this point. Huge problems in getting it universal - at times in debate with what our current power supply engineers specify of what we will get, I can state the NEC until I’m blue in the face in defense of some standard we use or need and the manufacturer of our next generation of AC distro still says no, can’t do it... type stuff. Last I knew, we were getting something at this point, it’s going to be difficult to make full use of.

Onto the current E-Stop problem.

I was doing the electric, the electronics department was doing the electronics and relay specifying and constructing part of it. The person from that department who did the electronics agreed that he could have made his part of it Euro/US, but only - given more R&D pre-production time than less than a week. I could probably also have done some stuff differently.... This granted, already both of us had full schedules of stuff to work on for that production and many other shows, much less had set backs in design. Stuff like "I thought you were buying the Emergency Stop switches" type interdepartmental problems - on the last day which forced us to send it off a day late by mail to catch up with the show. This and given all worked without huge problems, only one lost hour trying to figure out why the remote stops didn't work... something about something forgotten on them which challenged our UPS pickup time. Hmm, remote kill switches that will work as a system no matter how many are plugged in? Just takes some circuitry but an added component.

Anyway, the specified design concept was to have circuit breakers that could handle both 120v and 230v power systems. That was not a problem, most are rated for either 240 or 250v and don't care if a 120v or 230v world - it's about the amperage. Power in was to be the US based L21-30 which is three phase five wire twist lock. No real problem to adapt to it for a Euro plug. Output was to be the alternate/safety config. of 208v Socapex that has it's wiring/phasing set up in such a way that if you plug a 120v output into it, it won't blow up what's plugged into it. Beyond that, there was to be two low voltage remote kill switches that ran off 4-pin XLR cable. This was the specification as planned by the production managers.

Problems came in the reality of the wiring and or my understanding of Euro wiring. It has always been my impression in the past that normal Euro wiring used 230v hot and a neutral. This would tend to be a huge problem with this was wired for the dual 120v hot leg 208v that's fed by three phase power and would not use the neutral leg of power other than for needs by the circuit board and various indicator lights. Ain’t no neutrals in this 208v Socapex plug, how are you going to power it up for 230v six circuit?

Unless I mis-understand Euro wiring for what is in the US, two phase 208v gear, Euro stuff 230v in general would not see two hot legs ?416v, (which when put to him, the specifier of the gear also had to scratch his head and wander off in not knowing for sure - this after yelling about our lack of ability to do specifically as he asked.. Ok, I did exactly as he asked but I should have made it dual input anyway somehow as desired.) Euro gear such as a in this country two phase ribbon lift, would in Europe at least I believe normally see one hot leg at 230v single phase and a neutral thus be a single phase item or would it? I scratch my head also on this - don’t know, didn’t research sufficiently given the one week turn around. Only way to get such power supply - unless Euro is two hot legs/two phase also, would be to totally re-wire, remove wires from breakers and put them into neutral bus bars from a US based system. That’s stuff I don’t fully know yet, nor had time to research in the (new technology) ribbon lifts this was to power up if it’s in wiring for Euro needs, having a hot and neutral or still two phase power. This was a major/huge detail I could not design for thus did not.

This much less from the wiring standpoint I was doing, doing power in indicator lights would be much more difficult. Short of circuitry to show what phase was missing in going phase to phase indicator lights as opposed to one indicator light hot to neutral per phase. Were I to do phase to phase indicator lights, one would know there is a problem but not know which one had the problem easily. Otherwise in just indicator lights on the power in side, were I to go phase to phase in doing 250v, I would either blow them up once they hit Europe or if I did 250v indicator lights in going hot to neutral, have lights at half their intensity in doing 120v which might not be bright enough.

No such thing as a over 250v indicator light that I’m aware of, so doing any form of indicator lights on the power in much less power out for two phase six circuit indication just became very difficult. Potentially I could do half bright 250v hot to neutral indicator lights for the power in, but there would be no way of doing a phase to phase two phase individual circuit indicator light short of doubling the 250v lamps now for each phase of power - 12 lamps tied to the neutral instead of just going between the two phases of power. (Could have solved the problem, was not easy or effective for this first attempt.)

Now anyway in wiring the thing, we were faced in six circuit 208v output with the potential unknown problems of for Euro shows somehow removing the now second hot wire legs tied into the three phases of power and turning them into neutral legs instead.

IN theory, one could leave the neutrals in the dual two phase breakers - Code requires if switching off the neutral, it’s absolutely switched off at the same time as the hot. It’s just not normally done that way but a dual pole circuit breaker would do so. While not good practice, one could in theory use a dual pole breaker with the neutral running thru it for such an application. (Wonder if it would survive a PATT test this theory by Euro wiring standards?) Now we would just would need some form of say three way multi-pole switch that would switch each second leg phase of power between 120v and neutral. Not aware of such a thing existing but I’m sure it requires circuitry and some form of relay switch - three way 30A three pole relay switch if such a thing exists to switch the second poles of a 208v system between 208v and the neutral leg of a 230v system. Probably would also require some form of safety circuitry to safely do this.

So now in doing a three pole relay switch that's controlled by the circuitry (in this case at 120v), we either have some form of six pole relay switch that treats hot and potentially hot or neutral depending upon the country it's used in differently or have to pre-relay the switchable power imput three pole relay switch with some form of neutral/hot switching threeway relay switch before the E-Stop controlled relay switch. This six pole and or three-way relay switch than would also have to be circuited in with switchable power supplies for the rest of the circuitry, otherwise one might hit one switchable or auto-detect power supply switch or transformer but not a second one. The circuitry in detecting a need to kill the system at 120v or 230v is a seperate componet than that of the component that does the actual switching. Easy enough to splice or wire but more components to add and troubleshoot.

Them’s major problems in my understanding beyond the concept that a L6-15 two phase plug - normally we would use to distribute a 208v Socapex plug to six individual fixtures is rated for 250v. If it’s true that this Socapex plug (if even rated for six circuits of ?416v) is now doing 12 circuits of 230v, the plugs we by design will have been distributing the dual phase 230v load with will at over 400v have been not rated for the voltage. This much less nor would the 12/3 SJOOW cable such a fan-out of power the cables making up the fan out will have been wired with been rated for. 12/3 SJOOW cable is only rated for 300v. Electrically, even if this thing were able to do both US/Euro in going to a Socapex output, nothing existing as normally used in the US or Europe distributes Socapex to 12 hot wire to over 300v six circuit output. No such thing. Intended was to use our 208v wired six circuit fan-outs.. They are rated for 250v at the plug and 300v on the cable. That means we would either have to re-wire the power supply so it’s using neutrals, or figure out some other form of no longer universal way to distribute what power the rack could supply. Not easy to do universal.

Electronically, I assume that 60Hz verses 50Hz will not have been a problem for the circuitry - this and what power it’s fed could be switched thru a transformer. This granted in-line safety fuses and other circuitry to ensure you don’t blow up a circuit board and other relays etc. All will have required a larger rack mount space also than the 6" deep two rack space panel I attempted to use and was challenged to fit all into. This was one of those cases of - yea, I know CU requirements and I added venting to the thing, but didn’t have time to do a larger than off the shelf rack mount housing. Looks good and is safe but the Cubic inches of cooling space within is negotiable given ventilation provided to supplement it.

A month will have been needed to design such a thing for dual Euro/US voltage needs. This in addition to inter department design/production meetings (as if production meetings for a show) on it that’s un-heard of other than for huge projects.

Here is what I at least wired in doing it for a three phase to six circuit two phase Emergency Stop system in the 120v/208v world:

Power in, L12-30P flange mount 120/208v Wye 30 Amp plug. #10 MTW wire to a Square D series QOU 30Amp 3-Pole circuit breaker. Neutral was sent to an isolated four hole neutral bus, and ground to a bus / grounding strip of the same amount of holes by the same gauge and type of wire above, but in this case mounted directly to the panel. Off the main breaker was 120v indicator lights wired off each of the load side of the three poles and in return combined and tied to a neutral wire going to the neutral bus bar. Also, on the X and Y phases, power to a circuit board and to the power relay. Both also had a wire leading to the isolated neutral bus - about the extent I did beyond mounting components in wiring the circuitry. I do relays as needed, in this case, circuitry was another department and I worried about my own.

Circuit board fed the three phase power relay which the main circuit breaker in the same wire was feeding. Circuit board than took it’s instructions from the various by now three (one rack mounted) emergency stop switches that were store bought. Two remote kill switches were remote and fed by way of four pin scroller cable but this switch needed to have the option of not using any or all remote kill switches, and or if there were a problem in wiring, compensate for it in any working irrespective of what another kill switch was thinking - other than if locked into the off position. 4-pin XLR off the rear of the panel mount power supply fed the remote kill switches - this needed to detect if they were plugged in or not in still working. Also out of safety and idiot proofing, it needed to be safe incase someone plugged in a either 4-pin headset system to this emergency stop system, or anything from a scroller to a LED based Color Blast fixture to it. In other words, 4-pin XLR is fairly common in use thus we had to design around it to idiot proof the gear. Used pins 2 & 4 for the remote kill switches, and 1&3 for bridging between them to tell the detection / shorting circuit if something was plugged in or not. (There was some design to this, just not enough time to make it universal.) Given it was only a 5v relay signal, it made it easy on amongst four types of scroller/Color Blast 4-pin XLR cable in stock, we were able to use the never used “Color Fader” type cable which doesn’t have the 14ga wires in it, the cable that’s rarely used and obsolete. That at least is a good thing - just using the cable for a relay signal and not needing the more used cable.

So the power and control is now at a three phase 30Amp relay switch. (The power relay talks to the circuit board somehow that was the electronics department based.) Anyway, #10 MTW wire from there to a three pole four output Marathon block, four circuits three pole of #12 MTW wire out of it going to six two pole 20A magnetic circuit breakers. These are phased and wired as per the “plan B” in the industry alternate method of wiring 208V Socapex so it don’t blow up if you plug a 120v application into it. Circuit breakers go to the Socapex outlet along with six ground wires dual wired into the three terminals of the ground bus. Each output for the six circuit two phase circuit breaker also had a 250v indicator light wired between output on the breaker for the breaker so as to indicate individual power and overall = “it’s been killed power.” I indicated power in (after the main breaker) and power out (after the output breakers.)

Socapex plug leads to a fan-out or as it were Socapex male Veam brand VSC series KK clamp type six circuit 12/3 SJOOW output to L6-15R adaptor. (Industry standard these days is more the L6-20 system but it would cost too much to convert at this point.) Anyway, it’s a Socapex male to six individual cables of 208v power adaptor which than feeds each individual power supply to the hoists. This part of the system, even if it were a switchable power supply would be problem #2 to why it cannot be easily done as per requested design. Nope, no way to do it.

Not a lot of time or room to do other than what we did. Nice clean and working 120v/208v system package. A few errors on my part in labeling the rack than adding stuff, but overall = very easy to understand and safe.

Doing it 120/208v and 230v/?416v? That would require lots more work and time. Can’t be done easily.

Lots of details left out such as crimped ferrules, insulation and isolation of the circuit board etc. Wiring and making power supplies is complex. Add to that the mandate of making it dual voltage and given less than a week with lots of other stuff to be working on... nope... Be easier to make a seperate 230v power supply before the tour gets to Europe than to put everythign else asside within the time limits.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back