How do you spell it?

Verb tenses of mic?

• Total voters
According to most dictionaries: "mic" or "mike" are interchangeable as abbreviated noun forms. The "mike" verb form seems to be the dictionary preference - but as alluded to in earlier posts: "micing" (the pelting of someone or something with rodents) is really no better than "miking" (the pelting of someone or something with guys named Mike). It's really every man for himself. Enjoy exercising your individuality in the way you see fit.

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:
Who here is old enough to have used a mic mouse ?

Last edited:
So mic is okay as a noun, but can never be used as a verb?

I'm sure before fire was discovered, light was only a noun (and maybe an adjective). Then someone started using it synonymously with ignite, and now we light candles, we light shows,
and soundlight lights light shows that show lights.
Language evolves, and if mic is not accepted as a verb by now, it's high time. I guess we'll have to work out the spelling of the tenses later.
Just because some nouns have been turned into verbs does not mean that it is always an accepted practice. You can have a saxophone or ukulele and can pick up your sax or uke but you don't then saxophone, sax, ukulele or uke, you play them or perform on them. I have an automobile and everyone knows what an auto is but I don't automobile or auto to get somewhere, I drive. It's not as though there is no existing and accepted language to describe the act of using or placing a microphone that thus requires a new verb.

However, what I find really interesting in this entire debate that both "mic" and "mike" are colloquial abbreviations for "microphone" and I have never seen or heard "microphone" used as a verb in any tense. It isn't just a matter of turning a noun into a verb, if we were addressing microphone, microphoned and microphoning then there would probably be little debate about the spelling or whether those are commonly accepted. Isn't it a bit ironic that we're arguing over whether it is miced, miked or mic'd when we would probably laugh at and correct someone who said they "microphoned" someone?

...I have an automobile and everyone knows what an auto is but I don't automobile or auto to get somewhere, I drive. ...
True, but in my day, kids were bused from one school district to another. Since my car's in the shop, I'm busing it today.

...Isn't it a bit ironic that we're arguing over whether it is miced, miked or mic'd when we would probably laugh at and correct someone who said they "microphoned" someone?
I'll telephone you later to discuss it, after I've telephoned Dave. Right now, I'm telephoning footer.

Last edited:
Brad is absolutely right. One would never "automobile" from town to town - that would be silly. "Motoring" makes oh so much more sense...

As does taxiing, depending on your circumstance.

Brad is absolutely right. One would never "automobile" from town to town - that would be silly. "Motoring" makes oh so much more sense...
Although being chauffeured is sometimes also rather nice.

I use mic or mike interchangeably. If I am miking someone, I might say they are miked. Otherwise, they could be on the mic. I used to work for someone named Mike, so I started using mic to avoid confusion. On the other hand, confusion can be fun. Mic checks were easy, I just asked Mike how he was feeling!

I also have someone who likes to spell it miche. I've never spelled it that way.

as a point of comparison, the J. Michael Gillette Theatrical Design and Production book (here) refers to it as miking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back