How to contol the work lights.

i dont want to put tape over them because we turn them on frequently and that would just get annoying, but i hate how people just come over and turn them on when they are backstage. even my boss does it, if he wants us to be able to clean up and get out quickly after a show he goes and turns on the worklights during it. it gets realllly annoying because then i cant even run back to turn them off cause he will yell at me.

maybe use a keyed switch like the ones they use in hgihschool gyms?

Interesting bit of info,i was recently told according to fire codes all light switches have to be accessible in public buildings (including schools) So we are now in violation of these codes because our house light control system,panic buttons and all is completely out of working order. maybe i can finally make them fix something!

i dont think they would let me install keyed switches because then they would need to give every custodian administer and teacher in the arts dept a key, and they deifnately wont give me one of those switches that requires a bent piece of metal to turn it on, because then i could turn on and off the lights in the bathroom, somehting the school will avoid at all costs! :-/ i will just have to live with a regular light switch and mabe put up a do not touch sign.

accessable panic switches are reasonable in seeming as a reason not to go key operated switch.

Could be a question of perminantly masked but on work verses backstage lights verses ones that light the stage in this case. Perhaps such lights that are masked from center stage that are the off stage lights or fall in with those used during the show in use which won't show up on stage. When you enter the door, such lights will naturally be needed in at least that general area, much less to light you path to the audience area door or to the control panel that lights the work lights or cued preset lights for non-show uses of the other panel.

In any case, if such work lights going in is a problem, where there is one switch, there can be others. My first college had a switch at the front of the theater and at both sides of back stage that would hit the work lights. The booth also had another position for this. Should someone hit one of many switches, it was simple enough to shut them off without a run to the individual switch position. By code, might even given the wattage and necessity of remote control over the overall watttage of lamps be able to remotely control by way of booth - autorized supervisors of the system, allow the control booth or stage manager's position to lock out the other remote controls of the system.

Gets complex this control over the switch at the door but not really that expensive to pre-configure for a theater. For the most part, provide adiquate off stage lighting - especially to those entering the door or climbing to the top of the stairs and you don't have many issues with those in worries about their safety, hitting the lights switch by the door.

Masking tape over the individual switch while forbidden for use of while working on fixtures powered up by this is anoter solution otherwise I would agree with during the production. Yes talk with the actors and let them know it's going to be dark when they enter the room. But also rely upon them forgetting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back