HUI Vs Sky Cyc

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
Grant writing season is upon us... so one of the things I am looking at writing a grant for is cyc lighting. I am looking at either going with Selecon Fixtures or the old standby, SkyCycs. Right now we are using R40's. Looking at 4-5 units, 22' Trim, 9' DS of the cyc, 40' wide cyc running without a ground row. So, for those of you who have used both fixtures, which did you prefer? Price wise the Selecon looks a bit cheaper....

Last edited:
Orion knock-off. With a yolk. Without knobs.

Orion knock-off. With a yolk. Without knobs.

But when you think about it, aren't many stage lights (and thousands of other products for that matter) "knock-offs" of their predecessors? The only fixtures out there that are 'original designs' are Source Fours, and even they started out with a platform that ETC didn't invent (Axial lamp placement, ellipsoidal reflector, framing shutters). Arguably, the HPL lamp came first and the "fixture" was designed around it, but really, the reflector and optics were designed around it. The rest is laid out just like many ellipsoidals proceeding it. Source Four Par and Parnell are a different story, introducing a whole new species of fixture, but even they (S4 Par) utilize the physics surrounding a Par lamp, which someone else invented, they just made it modular. It's all about incremental improvements. You can't often expect something totally new coming right out of the gates in this industry, you have to accept one small step at a time. Those small steps could be considered knock-offs, or they could be considered progress. Much of it depends on the credibility of the company manufacturing and/or marketing them. The Shakespeare could be called a knock-off as could the Star Par, but I see them as a step in the right direction in that more companies are manufacturing efficient lighting instruments. They may have had to borrow a few of ETC's design concepts (which they pay for), but at least they didn't blatantly rip off ETC like some other unnamed manufacturers. Several car companies are manufacturing Hybrid cars. Who is knocking off who in that case? I haven't seen anyone pointing fingers, mostly because it's best that at least companies are following in each others' footsteps and maybe even having a little healthy competition. It's good for us in that we now have choices.

and I'm sure there is a tilt knob on there somewhere ;) .

End hijack -- back to CYC lights! :D

Back onto the original topic (if you want to discuss knockoffs, LN has quite a lively discussion going on about just this topic). HUIs from Selecon are very nice, we have 20 of them. Extremely wide flood, very even as well. We got 20 for under 4 grand. You can re-lamp them while hot, as when they are opened the power is disconnected, and they come with very nice gel frames. Overall very solid units, very low profile, and they dont eat too much gel. I would take these over SkyCycs any day, personally.

We have Six 3-Cell unit L&E Runt Cyc's. I love em. They lamp at 750. I haven't actually had any gel burn out yet. It's a full sized reflector in a small format. Best par? One sheet of gel colors SIX cells!

I can't make a "one is better" decision as I have never worked with Sky Cyc's, but we run Auroras (big brother of the Hui) and love them. We got an acceptably smooth wash 14' tall (temporary stage) from only 2' away. Also worked well as backlight for a rock 'n' roll - looking show.
If the Hui is anything like this it should be a pretty great fixture.

I can't make a "one is better" decision as I have never worked with Sky Cyc's, but we run Auroras (big brother of the Hui) and love them. We got an acceptably smooth wash 14' tall (temporary stage) from only 2' away. Also worked well as backlight for a rock 'n' roll - looking show.
If the Hui is anything like this it should be a pretty great fixture.

I can say I am currently washing a 16' high, 30 odd foot long wall with 2 cells, each one about 7' away. Bit of a dim spot in the middle, but we want that for this particular use.

Main Difference is lamp,
Both take a 1000 watt lamp,
Hui takes a FCM
Aurora takes FFT,

Therefore Aurora is a bit larger....

However, I have had terrible lamp life issues with fixtures using the FCM lamp,
Has anyone else had these issues?
I am contemplating purchasing 15 or so of these, and weighing Aurora vs Hui...
any suggestions,
Sorry for the Hijack

Joshua Wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back