I-Cues ?

In 16 bit, there is a coarse and a fine channel for pan and a coarse and a fine channel for tilt. Allows for more precision. In a moving light console, this can be programmed as a 16 bit attribute. I don't know if this can be done on the express, but the express does have a touchpad (which I find useful for repositioning moving fixtures, we have one on our obsession console which we use for positioning).

The last time I used one in an express I just seperated the channels on four sub faders, use the two coarse to get it close then the two fine to zero in. I believe there is a way to attribute it, but it really ends up being the same on a console like that, it does eat faders though.

I have two elipscans I use with an Express 24/48 at a different theatre. I hated the elipscans when we got them; they're loud and irritating, can't do smooth transitions slowly, etc. But they are useful as long as I don't SEE them move; it's a tiny theatre, and I've been able to completely change the way I design because of those two units. We had a show come in at the roadhouse with a few I-Cues and they were amazing! The difference between the 8bit and 16bit is incredible. But I also think you get what you pay for....If you have the option, get the I-Cue! If you have money restrictions, go ahead and get the elipscan, it can be usefull but don't expect nice flowing transitions.

Well, you were asking about programming on the etc Express for these kinds of units? The Express doesn't have the elipscan attributes built in as a moving light fixture and I doubt they have the I-Cue in there either. However, I've done a lot of programming with these types of instruments and I much prefer to treat it like a moving light than put it on subs. If you put it in as a ML, you can bring it up (Fixture 1, etc) and then use the touch pad to move it around. ETC has a handy offline software that is a replica of what is on the board. If you download that to your computer you can go in and create moving light attributes, and if I'm not mistaken I believe it asks you whether it's 16bit or 8bit. The elipscan was easy, and the I-Cue probably would be too. For the elipscan it only has two or three attributes I think: pan, tilt and maybe speed. Save it on a disk, then pop that in your board and load the moving light you created. Now you have control of the mirror on the track pad when you bring it up as a ML, and the intensity is a different channel.

You may know all this already, I just didn't see it mentioned, and it has helped me immensly in programming with them. I am used to bringing up ML fixtures on that board and it's quicker to be able to use the track pad for pan and tilt at the same time rather than switching channels or using sliders.

A note also on the elipscan, the silly thing bangs around and makes all kinds of noise if you don't TELL IT where to go. so give it a home position for it to sit at (center stage, etc) in every cue even if the intensity isn't on, so it doesn't do that during the show. And yes, you have to turn the power off when you're done using it, otherwise it will bang around all night and probably burn up.

have fun with em!

Last edited:
i found the i cue personality on the etc site, and got it set up and working on expression offline, my question though is how do i go about programming intels into cues and such... i have never used intels or know how they are programmed. i want to use the i cues for beam repositioning and some occasional moving effects, or maybe sweeps before a blackout. is this easy to do and how do i go about it?

Are you asking how to load it as a ML or how to program it into cues?
ok, I'll give it a shot...

1. If you have the personality set up and have it working offline, you should be able to save it, take the disk and load the personality in the board. The manual has pretty good instructions on that, I believe.

2. You have two I-Cues, so you should have loaded two ml fixtures. To access these once they are loaded in the board, go to [STAGE], [More Soft Keys], and then S8 [Fixture] 1 and 2. arrow over to pan/tilt on the far right and use your track pad to move them around. Be sure you have your intensity channels UP!

3. To put the ML's into cues: You have to do a sort of 'start cue' to tell the light where to go before it turns on unless you want to SEE it move from it's home position as it fades up.

So Turn intensity channel on for fixture 1. type [S8 (fixture)] 1 ENTER. Move it where you want it, do the same for fixture 2.

When you have them where you want, turn intensity channels down and record that, along with anything else, into a 'preset' or 'start' cue. then turn intensity channels back ON and record THAT as a cue. Link/follow it if you need to.

If you want the lights to just fade out but stay in that same position, just take the intensities out. if you want them to come back on in a different position, you have to make a 'move cue' to tell them to do it. this could be in a blackout, u can make point cues and link/follow. If you want to SEE them move, you don't have to take the intensities out, just record another cue with the mirrors in a different position. You'll get really good at link/follow cues if you aren't already familiar with them. A trick to change the timing on those easily is to go into [blind], [cue list], and you can change the times really easy there for large groups of cues.

To ballywho, you can do a series of linked cues, or you can make an effect cue, whichever you prefer.

It all may sound confusing, but you'll catch on pretty quick. Hope I helped a little, let me know if I can clarify anything!

Have fun with them!

sounds easy enough, im familair with regular cues and know how link/follow works. i just wasnt sure if theres a better way of doing things since its a "moving light" even though its just a mirror. thanks for the help, now i just need to nail down which light i want to buy to mount it on. i was thinking a s4 19 degree maybe with a drop in iris. i want to be able to use mainly for specials and effect lighting. the other option i was looking at is a s4 zoom. any ideas ?

I don't know, we just put them on exisiting instruments that we had, there wasn't anywhere to add more at that theatre:) I use a S4 19 or 26 barrel, depending on the show. an Iris would be nice to drop in there, that's what the roadshow did with the I-Cues they brought in. Used S4 19's and an iris, hung off the electric above the pit... it worked great.

Good luck to ya! sounds like you've done your research on them! I'm sure you'll like them when ya get em in!

Different size color frames!! You have to account for the difference in color frame sizes between the S4 zoom and the standard S4. Go with an S4 26 degree with an iris & donut. That's what we use. The 19 can be too small at times, and any unit without a donut will provide too much spill, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back