Identifying a Light

Golani

My friend is doing an assignment for drama class and my teacher is asking her to define what a Shakespeare light is and she asked me and I wasn't sure. Is this even a light and if so what is it?
Thanks!

My friend is doing an assignment for drama class and my teacher is asking her to define what a Shakespeare light is and she asked me and I wasn't sure. Is this even a light and if so what is it?
Thanks!

I hate to think that the teacher is training the class to refer to ellipsoidals as "Shakespeares". Especially since the Shakespeare isn't all that popular or great of a fixture.

Glad my reply didn't get thru. Was much more involved in an actual book on Shakespear lighting specified to check for such a light associated with him, and teacher asking a question to define a "Chevy" isn't really a proper way to ask how as it were "how a car works." Simple specification page from Altman website on the S-6 product will have been enough to qualify for defining it specifically. Or were you in question asking to define an ellipsoidal reflector spotlight? A much more proper question and I think the one asked.

Recently had a local high school theater teacher ask how to do lighting for a production. Not concept based, more just how to do it. Was buying lamps at the same time the JHS theater teacher was also there and we kind of looked at each other. JHS teacher doesn't have any more idea, but at least knows perhaps a bit more. Taught a general McCandless concept on a napkin type sketch and probably confused the high school teacher sufficiently that he didn't want to or "completely understood" the concept without futher questions.

Amazing. Following the JHS work, I'll probably be educating this teacher also on the basics of lighting and more for both, the basics of maintaining what lights they have. Amazed.

Last edited:
I have basic knowledge in lighting. I've had no real training but have worked with many local theater companies outside of my high school in lighting and I've recently been hired in the lighting department for Krannert (the theater complex at UIUC) where I'll be attending to study lighting next year.
Unfortunately the teacher who gave this assignment doesn't know anything about lighting past wanting insane concepts that are way beyond possible to accomplish with the current lighting rig and instruments we have.

That being said, this was an assignment to make up for a Drama Class which is a prerequisite to the Acting Class that a Senior needed to make up so that she could take the Acting Class.

The actual assignment had questions about it regarding multiple different types of lights including ellipsoidal. That's why I was so confused by the question about the "Shakespeare Lights"... After my Google search I pretty much came to the conclusion that it's just a brand of ellipsoidal which is why I came here to ask. Unfortunately I'm the most qualified person in ALL things tech at my high school including our "tech director."

If anybody happens to have an idea of some sort of crash course that I can help direct students and production staff to so that they can become somewhat more knowledgeable about the basics of lighting and really anything else, it would be much appreciated. It's very difficult as an amateur designer with a bad rig to try and accommodate the director's every whim without them having a real understanding of the true capability of our system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back