ION to unconventional LED's

So I'm a student at a Fine Arts High School and we have these LEDs which are really not typical in any way. They were purchased from TimesSquareLighting and the model is RGBWMP-45X1. Anywho, I have an ION control system and I need to get my control system and my LEDs to talk to each other and be friendly. I have tried to apply most of the manufacturer's default profiles when patching and none of them seem to be right. I'm not really sure where to start on this one and decided to reach out to CB for assistance. Thanks to anyone who can offer help.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you have the fixtures connected to the console? A direct DMX line, or through a network? What other devices are on the same DMX line, if any? Have you checked your patch on the console?

Oh, and Welcome to CB! Feel free to take a second and introduce yourself in the "New Members Board"!

You checked in the patching for the manufacturer and model?

I didn't see that particular model on the company's website, but you might check there for a manual.

If nothing else, try to figure out how many channels the fixture uses, and if you can customize the light at all. Most LEDs - I've never used these - let you select between different modes on the fixture itself. There may be some options for manual control and DMX control. Make sure the fixtures are setup to take information from the console.

So you have tried all of the generic LED RGB/ LED RGB 64 type profiles? Also are you using these over a network based control system or just straight from the DMX on the board, do they have on board LED screens for addressing or dip switches (sometimes misaddressing can occur with dip switches), what interface are you utilizing (ETCnet, Art-Net, ACN). Any one of these things can cause a problem. If you can get me some more expanded info I may be able to help.

The fixtures go to nodes on the electrics and then to the board. It's just 12 of these LEDs on the DMX line. Ideally I'd be able to create a profile for the lights so that future master electricians and designers won't run into the same problem. Keep in mind I am at a school where I will undoubtably use these instruments again so I would like to find some kind of permanent solution.

I have indeed checked for the manufacturer.

When addressing the lights there were left five channels between each light. I have worked with LEDs in the past where five is enough. So I'm assuming these shouldn't be any different.

There is no manual (from my checks) with the instruments or on the company website Times Square Stage Lighting - LEDs
The model again is RGBWMP-45x1

I haven't tried EVERY profile, but have been through a decent chunk of them and they don't cooperate. I'm not sure if its network or DMX line. I know that DMX runs from the LEDs to nodes on the electrics and then those nodes run to the Lighing control booth which has another node in itwhich receives data from the ION.
They have on board LED screen amd are addressed with five channels left between each one.

Do they respond at all? And, are you sure you have the correct model number? I can't find that model on their website to find a manual. If you have a manual that tells you what DMX address is which, you can create your own profile, which can then be saved and recalled later.

When addressing the lights there were left five channels between each light. I have worked with LEDs in the past where five is enough. So I'm assuming these shouldn't be any different.

I would not assume that...

Again most EOS family consoles are usually set to default to a interface... usually ETCnet... you need to make sure your nodes are using that interface if you have never worked with them before... have you successfully used any other fixtures over the nodes? I would check to see if there are any generic profiles for LED fixtures... under manufacturer look for generic... this will give you the information on how many channels you need.

they respond occasionally by just spiking to 100% and default to white. No intensity control. so either 100% white or completely out.

My mistake here, the model number is RGBWMP-54x1 (not 45x1 sorry about that)

We have been successful in using these nodes before. I don't see a reason that their interface has changed but that's certainly a possibility. But in answer to your question yes they've been successful in the past.

The generic profiles don't like to cooperate with the instruments either.

New idea...try just patching the LEDs as dimmers, then with the console on and outputting data, turn off the fixtures, and turn them back on. I'm guessing they may be in their sound activated mode, and the spikes you're seeing may be them reacting to what they "hear". Then, try the channels they are on individually to see if you can get any control at all.

I wish I could at least find a manual. Googles not helping at all.

New idea...try just patching the LEDs as dimmers, then with the console on and outputting data, turn off the fixtures, and turn them back on. I'm guessing they may be in their sound activated mode, and the spikes you're seeing may be them reacting to what they "hear". Then, try the channels they are on individually to see if you can get any control at all.

I wish I could at least find a manual. Googles not helping at all.

I will do this as soon as I get back to my theater tomorrow. thanks for your help!

I will try this as soon as I get back to my theater tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

No problem, I have spent more time than I can remember in front of an Ion... let me know what happens... and if it does not work I will throw out some other ideas. I dug up the ETC Eos family software on my laptop (have not used it in a long time) so I can look at a near similar view of what you are on your console here on my computer. Hope you get it worked out... Good Luck!

Are you talking about these?

They are 5 channel DMX so I would imagine RGBW and dimmer being your five channels. Although I have seen some LED fixtures use the fifth channel as a mode selector. If you patch them as regular DMX channels you may have to bring up two or three channels at a time to get light out of them. Try the whole range of % on the channels.

Double check the mode setting on the fixture, as they can be in auto, DMX, or Master/Slave depending.

I missed if you already tried this - but just for fun, have you tried taking one down and connecting it directly to the console via DMX? You could eliminate other variables that way. Combined with the suggestion above about mapping the channels as dimmers would let you try each channel individually, or push them all to full to see if the fixture responds.

I did not read thru this entire thread, but I had to build custom profiles for my leds. The profiles provided by colorkey had intensity attributes which I had to remove in order to get them to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back