is 240v spotlights to dmx possible?

i have just purchased a
TRANSCENSION SHOW CONTROL device...
the one in the attached files..
and im just wondering what i'll need to be able to plug that into my laptop/desktop please?
all help is appreciated :D

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 146
Although the picture is too small to read the writing, it sure looks like a standard DMX shoebox dimmer. It appears to be designed to work at 240 volts. You could pick up any number of inexpensive "stand alone" controllers, or a USB/DMX dongle along with the software needed. As a third option, you could get a cheap "stand alone" controller that has a midi interface and drive it from any number of musical instruments.

About the only advantage to stand-alone controllers is that you plug them in and everything is ready to go. Laptop/software route takes a bit of playing with, but once it is running, it might fit your needs better.

Here is a link to the Manual It can be used as a four channel chaser or as a 1, 2, or 4 channel DMX dimmer pack. You may read the manual for more details.

It looks like you may run four outputs sockets at 6.3a 250v.

Unless you use it as a chase fx, you will still need (as stated above) software and DMX USB dongle for a computer or a small DMX lighting console.

I have not used either of these, but you may do some additional research. Hope this helps

Here is a link to the Manual It can be used as a four channel chaser or as a 1, 2, or 4 channel DMX dimmer pack. You may read the manual for more details.

It looks like you may run four outputs sockets at 6.3a 250v.

Unless you use it as a chase fx, you will still need (as stated above) software and DMX USB dongle for a computer or a small DMX lighting console.

I have not used either of these, but you may do some additional research. Hope this helps
Personally, I've used the Enttec DMX USB Pro and had no problems with it. If you need something cheaper, there's the Open also, or DMXking also has some stuff. There's lots of places to get USB DMX converters, but sadly the cheapest are usually around $50-60.

USB and DMX are not compatible for a direct connect. Although you may have seen the Chauvet cable, even that has a circuit molded in it. You need to convert the signal from USB to RS-485 protocol ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMX512 )
So yea, the box is needed. But you also need software to tell the computer how to talk to the box (driver). And, of course, some kind of lighting control software.

im currently using a DMX 240V dimmer with a usb to dmx interface and 4 spotlights..

i need advice on how setting up the software? what fictures to use for the spotlights etcetc..

Nicky:

What software are you using? Or are you looking to choose now and looking for advice on a program?

ive tried a couple but not finding any easy at all to use..

im just looking for something basic as i only really need 4 channels and something to basically just turn my lights on and off?

im using with my band and just using as backlights.. im struggling setting the actual light up in the software as i keep seeing tilt move etc when i dont need that?

What is you dimmer pack address set at? Start by putting it to 001 and make sure it is set to make all 4 outlets a channel 001-004. After that you are going to want to select the device that you are using in the software. Open the software and look for setup or device setup or options. After that you should find a channel section that should have a window solely for channels with faders.

You sound like just the kind of person the Enttec DMXis software was created for. Here's the link to DMXis. DMXis was designed for musicians in small bands to have a way to upgrade their show easily. For $290 US you get the software and the USB/DMX dongle. All you need is some 240volt DMX dimmers for the DMXis to control and you are ready to go. Elation makes a decent quality low budget dimmer. I've used the US version and had great results. Here's a link to the European version I found one online from the UK for 150 Pounds.

Chauvet would be another good company to look at for a reasonably priced "shoe box" dimmer. Oddly I don't see their dimmers on the UK version of their site. Hey @Ford do you guys not make dimmers in the UK?

basically i just want to know how to record sequances..
Watch this tutorial it will show you the basic of DMXcontrol.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

if so... its currently set as a COM4 port... and my program wont find anything on port4 :/

HEELLLPPP :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back