Conventional Fixtures Labelling S4's

jmac

I would like to label/identify S4's lens tubes by color per type. I've seen rental units done different ways. Are there standard colors used, and what is easiest way to apply color- paint (what kind), or stickers (what kind), etc.?

Also, I would like to label the fixtures with colored stickers or something indicating lamp type and date installed. Ideas here too?

Something easy that HS students could do... Thanks!

Here we use white for 14*, red for 19*, green for 26*, blue for 36*, and yellow for 50*. The install company hung them from an empty batten, then used a mini foam roller brush to paint the four gel frame holder arms ( or whatever you call them). No idea what type of paint they used, though. Great thing is the color follows the tubes, not the bodies.

There is no standard color code so whatever works for you. If you rent fixtures on a regular basis I would use the same color code they use to keep things simple during a hang. If you never swap barrels I like to paint the left corner area of the yolk with spray paint, and use a paint pen over that for the fixture number. If you swap barrels then I would leave the fixture number there and color code the barrel, I like doing 3 sides around the color/accessory slots but that's just me. As long as it's not a bright color no one will ever notice it.

As far as lamps goes, I would lamp them all the same so it's never a question of what lamp is in there. We keep a spreadsheet and record when units were serviced, lamps changed, who did it etc. Makes it easy to see if certain fixtures are having issues with bad sockets, or maybe someone is installing them incorrectly and needs some more training.

For lamp type/date installed I'd suggest a small piece of white e tape or gaff tape on the yoke upon which is written the information desired.

Aside from spray paint, I've seen companies use paint pens and colored circle stickers to mark lens sizes. Some others forgo the color code and just write the degree on with a silver paint pen when the stickers fall off. (They fall off way too easily)

Also be sure you only label the degree on the tube, and not the fixture.

I vote for silver sharpie. Just write the degree on the tube. Then anyone can come and understand, whereas you'd have to learn the color code. And you don't need to find a bunch of colors for those two 9 degree tubes an such. Then, you can mark everything with a single color to mark what is yours if you ever rent. You know every instrument with the yellow on the yoke is yours and doesn't leave the building.

If you want to date the lamp/bench time; a white grease pencil on the inside of the yoke will pretty much last forever.

Thanks for all the ideas!. I like the silver Sharpie idea, but maybe the colored paint pens also. Didn't know there was such a thing as a paint pen.... I want to be able to see lens tube angle from a distance, and with my old eyes I can distinguish colors better than numbers, from a distance. Four colors (19-50) shouldn't be too hard to learn... Thanks again!

We use a colour code, and as others have said, if you rent a lot use their colours.

But find what works best for you, and if you dont like it, change it.

Ours:
19-black
26-orange
36-white
50-gold

Sean...

Not colored. If you make the "black" lens tube your most common one you can save quite a bit of time depending on your inventory size.

Although you also run into problems when you buy or borrow some new instruments and don't know what's unlabeled and what's correct.

if you bought new ones they would still need to be marked, so presumably that would be one of the first things you do before putting it into your inventory. Similarly if I borrow something I keep it separated from my stock as long as it isn't in the air so I don't get things mixed in. So I'd already have to go look at those anyway.

I like having a color code. If I'm somewhere where they don't know the code, or a non lighting crew, I can ask for colors. (Bring me 3 blue, 1 red)

My system, two streaks of paint pen on the 3 gel frame slots of the lens tube.
19-yellow
26-red
36-blue
50-white

See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/5919-focal-length-360q.html , posts #19 and beyond.

Here's the E.T.C. S4 lens dot code (and now I remember why it doesn't work so well when painting colorframe holders--the difference between "black" and "dotless").

19°-Red Dot, (lens all the way at the front)
26°-Black Dot
36°-Dotless, (only tube that uses two lenses)
50°-Yellow Dot, (lens almost all the way at the back)

Using this system, it's difficult/impossible to tell 26s from 36s without looking at the sticker or pulling the tube to see if there's a back lens.

I propose the following, with apologies to non-Americans. Either painting or colored E-tape on the colorframe holders.
19°-Red
26°-White
36°-Blue
50°-Yellow

I also like writing the degree in paint pen on the bottom of the lens tube near the color frame holder.

Since 5°, 10°, & 14° are easily distinguishable by color frame size, and 70° and 90° are specialty items, I would keep all of those un-marked, except for the factory sticker.

If you're not going to use PRG's color code (who knows what that is?), use the above.

We do almost the same thing, except a strip of spike tape on the 3 slots, and the degree written on with Sharpie.

I like this best as it makes it unquestionably clear what angle they are. You can easily see from a distance with the color but for those unfamiliar with the code they can also read it right on the tube. I color code my cables but also have my cases divided and color coded with labels. As idiot proof as it is I still get people asking me which one's which. That's my only hesitation with using only color coding.

For whatever it's worth, I bought some used 50 degree tubes a while back that were marked with yellow paint...

From derekleffew:
I propose the following, with apologies to non-Americans. Either painting or colored E-tape on the colorframe holders.
19°-Red
26°-White
36°-Blue
50°-Yellow

This does make an easy to remember order!

From derekleffew:
19°-Red
26°-White
36°-Blue
50°-Yellow

This does make an easy to remember order!

Those colors are easy to remember, but in my theater, anything with red or yellow tape is an indicator for malfunctioning equipment. If it's got red or yellow, it can't be used.

How do you label a S4 as not working? Is it possible to tag out a S4? Seems like an easy thing to miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back