Conventional Fixtures LED Border/Strips

<whistling quietly to myself>@gafftaper Next time ask Ford or Albert about my willingness to compromise on anything that goes into the fixtures in Ovation Series...
Ben rest assured if the OP was looking for advice on spending lots of money on Camera gear, your name would have been the second one I would have dropped, but since we were discussing quality products, I stuck with Ford. ;)

I'd welcome anyone in the community to come visit us in Florida and show you around our complex so you can see first hand our commitment to the market. If you're planning on coming to USITT we are 20min from the convention center...
I absolutely look forward to visiting the Chauvet factory at USITT 2018 and with your help, I hope to steal Ford's lunch from the break room fridge.

And for those who don't know, as a CB advertiser, Ford just got a keyword alert that the word Chauvet was posted in this thread and now he's reading about me stealing his lunch!:dance:

Last edited:
Would he be alerted if you spelled it "Chuavet" both times?

<whistling quietly to myself>
@gafftaper Next time ask Ford or Albert about my willingness to compromise on anything that goes into the fixtures in Ovation Series...

We take all our Professional Series' fixtures very seriously and kill ourselves trying to balance quality components, aesthetically pleasing design, top notch performance and keep at a reasonable price. Our service team has made huge leaps in the last several years, and you all here have access to Ford and I almost immediately via DM or post. I'd welcome anyone in the community to come visit us in Florida and show you around our complex so you can see first hand our commitment to the market. If you're planning on coming to USITT we are 20min from the convention center...

Yes, ETC is the king of long term reliability and support. There is no risk or gamble when it comes to buying ETC products. They WILL stand behind that product FOREVER and fix ANYTHING! That's important, I have a Strand console that's only 6 years old and very difficult to get tech support for now. You are correct that long term reliability and support of Chauvet Professional products is a question we don't know the answer to because Chauvet is a very different company than they were 10 years ago. They used to be something just a step above American DJ. Today the professional line products are absolutely competitive with the other major manufacturers. I can tell you the build quality on the Ovation Batten LED's is top notch. I had a few issues getting them to work with the rest of my system initially. Chauvet's tech support was great helping me figure out what I needed to do with my setup. But will long term support be there?

Let me tell you the two reasons I felt comfortable buying Chauvet for my cyc lights. First, was the relationship I've built up with @Ford over the years both here on CB and in person at the shows. He's passionate about building great products and making sure every component is done right. From what I know of him, I'm confident that Chauvet didn't cut corners to make a product that looks good but will break down in a short time. Secondly, I've had the opportunity to speak to Berenice Chauvet a few times. She is a passionate business woman, she knows her company, and is proud of the work they have done to build a company with a product line that is truly competitive with the other major players in the industry. I would quite frankly be terrified to challenge her about the long term reliability of her products! She's a wonderful person and absolutely loves what we do here on CB, but she is intense man! I would not want to argue with her and there's no way I would ever want to challenge her on a question of if her company will support products in the future! She's the kind of person that when her name is on a product it means a lot.

Finally a concern you might have is that founders Berenice and Albert Chauvet are getting older and so there is the question of what will happen in the future. We've seen a lot of product lines fall apart over the years when their founders retire or sell the company. Well, @dvsDave and I had a great conversation with Caroline Chauvet two weeks ago at LDI. She's the next generation of the Chauvet family and is currently working in the newly purchased Chamsys product line. I walked away from that conversation thinking, if Caroline is the future, Chauvet is going to be around a long time and be a very good company.

Yes, until Chauvet has 20 year track record of supporting their professional line there is a risk involved in buying their equipment. But when I saw the performance of the Chauvet Batten Cyc lights (seriously get a demo), I compared the price of getting the same performance in another product line, and when I got to know some of the people at Chauvet, I found the any potential risk to be small and the benefits of buying that product huge!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm definitely hoping to get a demo of any units in our space once this referendum goes through in the next week or two and have no reservations about going with Chauvet; it was merely something our consultant had brought up. Once again, not an absolute knock on Chauvet, but in comparison as you noted to ETC, ETC's just been in the game longer. That being said, we have a couple of the Rogue R2 Washes, and I absolutely love them. We had rented some Auras a few years ago for a high school musical and fell in love with them (but not the price point). I have been absolutely floored by the output, control and zoom for the price point.

I'm hoping to pick up another 16 R2 Washes and potentially 12 MK1 Spots based on the datasheet and what I've seen so far. Also, no real reservations either about going with the Ovation Battens for cyc wash and foregoing the ground row if not needed on our 19' tall cyc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back