led strips to decorate a room

I'd like to decorate a room at home with some DMX/Art-Net/ACN controlled Leds, since it's just for decoration and some amient light I am not looking to spend 4-figure numbers here but I would like to have the option of controlling every 'pixel' so that if I get bored I can 'play' a bit at home...

I have been looking around a bit, most ledstrips don't seem to offer pixel level control unless I am very wrong, one of the recent new members seems to have a product that would fit the bill but his behavior on the forum so far has not been inspiring confidence/trust but maybe some of you here have good experience with him and his product to convince me otherwise...

In short, any suggestions?

A nice relatively cheap solution that is DMX controlled are the Cauvet Color Splash Jr. I know they arent strips but its small and does not have that wide of a beam spread but they work and you can get pretty good results out of them. You can get one off amazon for like 60 bucks.

For pixel control, I have used strips or strings using the ws2801 or 6803 chips. I have gotten them from Ray Wu on AliExpress; he sells the DMX-pixel interfaces too. You can get the pixels or strips from Adafruit as well. Just make sure the interface you get handles the chips used in your pixels or strings.

We will probably see more pixel-based Christmas lights this year, like the GE ones from last year; the protocol on that one has been hacked too.
/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back