Leprecon LP-X24

chrispo86

I've got a musical coming up at the end of March where we're looking to use 8 Martin Mac's. We're not overly familiar with moving lights, but have been slowly getting into them more and more over the past half dozen or so shows. So far we've only used an Express 48/96 for our shows (we own a 24/48 but with the movers we've started renting the bigger brother for "convenience"). I've seen what a pain it is to program a musical with movers on an Express, and recommended that this time around we bump up to a more capable board.

I was hoping for an Eos (because I think I'd eventually like to get one, so it would be nice to give it a test drive, though a purchase isn't happening any time soon), but the local rental house we use doesn't own one yet. He recommended to us a Leprecon LP-X24. I don't really know anything about these boards, though I seem to keep reading on here that they're problematic (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going by memory). I was wondering, is this a good subsitute? Should I stick to the Express, or should I try to find some other (unknown) alternative? How does this LP-X24 compare to the Express as that's the only board we've used and we'll only have a few days to get ourselves up to par on the rental board before we start programming?

We're using 48 dimmers of conventionals and the 8 Macs, and maybe a DMX-controllable fog machine or two. Thanks in advance for the input!

What Macs are you planning on using? Wash or Profile? While the lep is not a board you are going to see on tour any time soon, it will make programing your movers MUCH easier than on your express. Personally, when working with a rig that has more than 2 movers I would rather be working with a Hog/MA/EOS or Ion. I find the pallets make life simpler for look construction. Check with your local rep and see what they have in their stock for a true ML controller.

We're going to be using 4 300's (wash) and 4 250's (profile).

As I said, I'd really like to find an Eos, but it doesn't seem like any of the local rental places that the school uses has gotten one yet. I would consider stepping up to a hog (depending on cost), but I'm not sure that it would be best in a high school situation (should've mentioned that) with only a few days to learn the new format.

That is one of the great things with most of the current crop of higher end consoles is they all have the off-line software that pretty closely replicates their real world control surface. The hog3pc and even the hog2pc software you can get from High End's website give you a good opertunity to work with the basics of writing pallets, building cue stacks and working with the encoders. Of course the all mighty budget dictates all.

LPX 24 will handle your movers better than your express. I was not a fan of how it handles pallets, it will not let you 'stack' them. For example you are only able to have one beam pallet in at a time. So if you have a gobo in you can not select prism from your palletes you would have to roll it in via the wheels. Kind of a PITA.

This was four years ago, I was told they were going to look at addressing this issue in the future but I havent used one since high school.

First off, EOS, isn't going to be any less expensive than renting a HOG. you might try looking for an Ion to rent, the software is the same, and they have been getting gout there faster. I would stay away from the LP-X24, I played with one and was not terribly impressed.

If the newer consoles are out of your price range you might see if you can rent a Strand 500 series or maybe an Obsession II (though I don't like them). they won't give you the same ML functionality as Eos/Ion or Hog, but they will be much easier and more capable than Express.

I tried finding an Ion but nobody around here has one of those yet either. Go figure.

We're going to bite the bullet and stick with the Express for this show. I just don't feel confident enough in the Leprecon to throw it into our biggest show of the year.

Oh well, there's always next year to try and find something better...

oh yes, it is painful. but, gotta work with what's available...

and in a time where financials are running everything, i'm limited to a small number of pre-approved vendors and what they have in inventory. it's a much narrower selection than i anticipated...

Do any of your approved vendors happen to have an Expression3 available? It's only a slight step up from the Express, but the addition of dedicated encoders, two displays, and more outputs might make it worth the rental. On either, make friends with "focus points" and the [only] key.

No. Unfortunately the biggest ETC board they have (available) is the Express 48/96.

Our middle school owns an Insight3, but unfortunately their musical is the week prior to ours, so they need it. That and the last time we asked to swap boards our TD got ripped a new one by the prinicpal of the middle school, even though they could very easily get by with our Express 24/48.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back