Leviton NRD 8000 caught fire - HELP

One of our Leviton NRD 8000 units caught fire during a service yesterday. It is only 3 years old. Does anyone know what may have caused this?
photo2.JPG
photo1.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo3.JPG
photo4.JPG

You'll want to contact both the installer and Leviton. The installer may subsequently contact Leviton on their own accord. Dimmers catching fire are a very serious issue that the manufacturer should immediately be made aware of. No doubt, Leviton will likely want you to ship the dimmer to them for their inspection of the failure.

I moved this to the Lighting Forum so it is posted in the proper place. Steve, feel free to stop by the New Member Board and introduce yourself.

~Dave

Solder land where that (former) black wire connected failed. Maybe a bad dip job. Looks like a lead from a filter choke, wider view would clarify. Choke leads tend to be solid wire, which draws heat away and can be problematic during manufacturing.

Last edited:
Wow, all I was expecting to see a melted power cube, but with all that dry chem -- you really had a bit of a fire there!

I agree with MNicolai. With a failure like that on a 3 year old product the cause of the issue should be for hte installer or manufacture to figure out. The good side of that is hopefully they'll give you a good deal on a replacement.

As a side note after your done with a painstaking task of cleaning up all that dry-chem look into Halotron I "Clean Agent" Extinguishers. They're a bit spendy, but they're totally worth it.

Harking back to a recent thread, this is a good illustration of why it is a good idea to turn your racks off at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back