Lighting Tech: Is It Too Late?

Maybe I should draw a line between the small-scale programming I used to love and the large-scale programming I would be doing as a developer. I'm not sure which side programming IFs falls on. I've already had two years of Java.

I actually graduated in 2009 with a degree in BSIT. I learned Java and did my concentration in Network and Server Tech. Its actually quite useful in Lighting, since most boards are just computers.

My Story: I went a university that had NO technical theatre (or theatre in general) major. I learned by doing, start going to local small theatres and helping out, even if they don't pay you. You can gain so much experience just by doing and seeing. I started this way, and worked for about a year until I was paid for almost everything I did. Then, before I graduated I started looking for a Tech Theatre job, and found a small tour. Now I am full-time at a medium size theatre.

The key is if you love it, you should just do it. But PLEASE finish college, it will come in handy.

Huh, that sounds sort of like my major: I'm focusing a lot on networking. And yeah, looking for ways to get theater experience since that counts. I found a local theater with lots of volunteer work, a perfect resume-builder. (Says their volunteer coordinator) I hope to work on stuff there next semester when I will hopefully have more time and go for summer internships at Minneapolis theaters.

I also discovered/remembered that to graduate with honors, I have to write a thesis pertaining to my major. It's not mandatory, but I like my school's honors program and would like to remain. Would a degree with honors be very helpful for getting a job? Since the thesis has to pertain to computer science (not just doing light design or something very theater-y), I'm thinking maybe something on DMX, but I'm still very open to other ideas. Really I'm not sure what all I could do.

Also, I was talking about plans and such with my mom tonight. She expressed a lot of concern about being able to find a job in a theater, at least in this economy. I think she was exaggerating a bit (there have to be some jobs in Minneapolis, even if they're contested), but realistically, is simply finding some kind of a job a big concern these days?

Huh, that sounds sort of like my major: I'm focusing a lot on networking. And yeah, looking for ways to get theater experience since that counts. I found a local theater with lots of volunteer work, a perfect resume-builder. (Says their volunteer coordinator) I hope to work on stuff there next semester when I will hopefully have more time and go for summer internships at Minneapolis theaters.

I also discovered/remembered that to graduate with honors, I have to write a thesis pertaining to my major. It's not mandatory, but I like my school's honors program and would like to remain. Would a degree with honors be very helpful for getting a job? Since the thesis has to pertain to computer science (not just doing light design or something very theater-y), I'm thinking maybe something on DMX, but I'm still very open to other ideas. Really I'm not sure what all I could do.

Also, I was talking about plans and such with my mom tonight. She expressed a lot of concern about being able to find a job in a theater, at least in this economy. I think she was exaggerating a bit (there have to be some jobs in Minneapolis, even if they're contested), but realistically, is simply finding some kind of a job a big concern these days?

Depends really on what your looking at doing. Your going to be able to find more jobs in networking than you will in theater, Not saying you won't find one in theater, but your mother does have a point. Jobs in theater are very hard to find that are worth while, most of the time you will be working paycheck to paycheck and will have to run more than one job at a time just to be able to live.

You won't get rich doing theater so if that's your ultimate goal then don't go with theater for a career.

Depends really on what your looking at doing. Your going to be able to find more jobs in networking than you will in theater, Not saying you won't find one in theater, but your mother does have a point. Jobs in theater are very hard to find that are worth while, most of the time you will be working paycheck to paycheck and will have to run more than one job at a time just to be able to live.

You won't get rich doing theater so if that's your ultimate goal then don't go with theater for a career.

Don't worry, that definitely isn't my goal. I'd much rather do something I love than make a lot of money. (Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to do both) I know doing research in CSci won't hurt, but it's just hard to see how it would help me in the theater world at all.

Don't worry, that definitely isn't my goal. I'd much rather do something I love than make a lot of money. (Sadly, I don't think I'll be able to do both) I know doing research in CSci won't hurt, but it's just hard to see how it would help me in the theater world at all.

I'm not too familiar with CSci, but having a strong knowledge in computers will definitely help you as far as how the industry seems to be going. More and more i see small computers running shows with out the use of too much "analog" devices. DMX itself is a completely digital signal. Understanding how computers talk to each other and how you can get them to interact better will ultimately be a major plus. Most of my tech classes at least here spend a lot of time just trying to get new students who never took any more advanced computer class than a simple class on typing and Microsoft software.

A lot of what i know about at least in the lighting world is stemmed off the fact i took several programming courses just to learn the basics of how computers run. We've seen a recent push to get everything digitized in the industry and considering how far we've come in the last ten years is massive. I would expect newer technology to become more Computer tech required than the standard theater tech.

As I've been reading this thread, I've been doing a little mental math, and came up with approximately 1/4 of the people that I know who are regular, full-time, make-a- living-at-it employees of this industry have tech theater backgrounds. That means most of them have degrees from outside this industry. Electrical engineering seems to be very common, with Computer Science a close second. I know one guy who mixes at a club 4 nights week with a Pol-Sci major. Not sure how that one fits in, but anyway...
It was difficult to say the least for me to land a real gig that would support a family without a degree. It ended up, my experience as a subcontractor at my venue got me a job despite my lack of paperwork, when papered people wanted more than the job was willing to pay. Now I'm a house sound guy, taking classes to finish my BA. Ironically in the context of this discussion, my next set of classes are going to be computer science/networking classes. Any degree would have made getting this job much easier, and having a grasp of computer-human and computer networking interactions would save me hours of time on the phone with tech support...
FWIW
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back