lighting upgrade update

blalew

So after looking at a ton of options for my space (including movers, see here) I wanted to report back on what I did, in case it's interesting to anyone :^)

Our space - a church that meets in a converted grocery store, house seating 1100. Main stage is approx 20' x 30' with a small shallow thrust for preaching. Room is pretty much square with corners cut off, fairly wide seating area. 12 feet from stage deck to bottom of trusses that support roof.

Anyway, we started out with 24 NSI/Colortran 20/30/40 1kW ellipsoidals hung on FoH battens with four Rosco IGBT dimstrips, and a beige curtain. Shallow angles, no top/side light, very little contrast between beige people & curtain :^)

First upgrade - a couple of years ago - get 8 S4 PARs w/ XWFL lenses, get 16 S4 Jr Zooms & a bunch of extension cords. Buy/install black back curtain. Split mainstage into 10' acting areas (2 deep & 3 across plus preaching area on thrust), Hang new battens (pipe) over the stage for hang positions for upstage areas. Add battens for toplight. Use S4 Jr Zooms for crossed frontlight. HUGE improvement, but not enough fixtures to cover all areas nicely.

Second upgrade (last week) - Fill out toplight to 16 S4 PARs w/ XWFL, add 6 more S4 Jr 50deg to give us 6 specials, move 2 dim strips over stage to cut down on extension cords, find another 20A 3 phase circuit over stage (what luck!) & add a smartbar2 that we put all the US/DS toplight on (twofer'd).

So now we have toplight that almost covers the stage & crossed frontlight that looks pretty decent. The S4 Jr 50deg does a good job with the 10' areas (throw of 13' from hang to my nose standing at the center of the area). Because the XWFL lens at 7' throw (toplight) only has a beam angle of about 4.5', I have 6 PARs across each US/DS area but I think I'll cross them instead to get a bit more spread & sidelight.

Anyway, many thanks to all who have posted on my previous thread as well as controlbooth in general, fantastic place for this IT guy to gather info & pretend he's a 'squint'

I'm thinking about gelling the toplight PARs for the US areas (band backline) to add some interest. This hobby is expensive!!!

Thanks all

Last edited:
Good work, sounds like you resisted the temptation of moving lights an opted for real lighting which has a real impact on your production values!

Post pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back