LightWright and Vectorworks

I tried looking around a little but couldn't find anything so I apologize if this question is a repost.

I am working with vectorworks 2014 and Lightwright 5. We have two spaces and a vectorworks file for each. I just got lightwright for the last couple shows and am looking to use it for inventory.

First off I don't really know if Lightwright has a good inventory program. I have seen things that suggest it has something but I am wondering if someone can point me in the direction for how to best keep the inventory in Lightwright.

My second question is how does the layout tab work? We are tying this to a vectorworks document and for whatever reason when I tend to do things in lightwright it somewhat breaks the Vectorworks sheet. Maybe I haven't delved enough into the tutorial to find this information but any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have already created a new VW file, then establish the automatic link to a NEW (blank) LW file. This will force all the known data in VW into LW.

You will have a couple of dialog boxes open to get the data over to LW, consider VW as the master file.

At that point you should see all the data in the LW file. You can double check that all is well by viewing Symbol and External ID/Unique ID data. Do this by going to Worksheets - Columns and selecting Symbols and Vectorworks UID. Both are important (you can then turn off the view of this data in the Worksheet, after you know that data all looks correct) If you have Symbols listed for every LW unit, then as you make edits, VW won't lose the object the lighting symbol is linked to. Likewise, you need both VW and LW to see the same UID so as to "know" which instrument is which. This is the key piece of data that both programs use to know where the data is to go.

In LW, now go up to Maintenance - Instrument Type. You should see all the instruments listed by type, with an inventory in a separate column. You may need to change the LW (Color) Frames Label and Frames Per Circuit information. I tend to make the LW information the correct data, as LW does a better job of counting and error checking. You can also, as BTW get an instrument count by using Utilities - Counting - Instrument Type (you get color counts here as well, but make sure the data is correct in the Maintenance - Instrument section first. As BTW, I don;t use the pre-defined instrument label that VW generates. As example, I change to "S4 - 36" as the instrument name. VW doesn;t care as long as the symbol name isn't changed, you can call it anything in the VW Instrument Type field.

I would also take the time to fill in the dimmer information as well. Setup - Dimming & Control.

Taking the time to setup Instruments, Color Frames and Dimming will allow accurate error checks, which is one of the best features of LW.

The Layout Tab is only to see how the LW document will print. You use the tools Paperwork and Layout to setup the print. Layout will show you those changes and is different fromn the LW Worksheet which is only what you are seeing on-screen. Once you get a print layout(s) you like, for all the assorted schedules you intend to print, do a "Save Layout". You can then re-use this layout. You can also save the layout with the fiile.

I have never encountered a lost LW/VW link by navigating to the layout in LW.

Last edited:
Steve,

I am looking for something else. I want to be able to use Lightwright as inventory for lights that arent on stage and I don't think it really has the capability. We have two spaces that sometimes share resources so besides going in and changing stuff each time I am not sure this is what I am looking for.

Thanks,

JAAM

You can list more units then the show is using, so if you have 80 S4 36 deg. units in the facility, put that as stock. If the show only uses 36, the inventory count will show 44 spare.

You can also just created a simple Excel spreadsheet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the excel sheet is easier since it is less work to keep updated. Lightwright keeps "too much" information and we just need a quick way to keep track of whats extra besides the base plots. If Lightwright could cross reference two vectorworks files and keep track of how much spares are left that would be cool but that is a very complex thing and I understand the Lightwright doesn't currently (cross fingers for future) support

I think the excel sheet is easier since it is less work to keep updated. Lightwright keeps "too much" information and we just need a quick way to keep track of whats extra besides the base plots. If Lightwright could cross reference two vectorworks files and keep track of how much spares are left that would be cool but that is a very complex thing and I understand the Lightwright doesn't currently (cross fingers for future) support

If I were doing this I'd be listing in each separate LW file, the entire facility equipment inventory. I'd do this in the Maintenance - Instrument Type section. The premise is that the linked LW and VW files will always keep accurate track of what's used if you enter the data correctly. Note that once you enter this data in one file, you can merge just that inventory and color frame type list to another LW file, so no need to do this twice.

LW would then easily generate a list of what's total for the facility, vs. what's used in this show, vs. what's left. That's a simple Utilities - Counting - Instrument Type - Count Stock Quantity vs. Quantity In Use.

Then keep that info anywhere it's useful - spreadsheet, a big counting board using Sharpies, where ever.

So I've been having problems with Vectorworks 2014. The Instrument Summary Tool always crashes the program. I usually have to try several times to get it to work. I'll click once on the tool, and sit back and wait for it to respond. Usually the pop up window comes up saying that the program crashed and to restart it. I've moved inventory reporting over to Lightwright and am starting to get tempted to created a stock symbol file to copy and paste from for my instrument key.

It is not like my computer is underpowered (AMD FX 3.60GHz Eight Core Processor, 32 GB RAM, and a 2gb 128 bit video card). Has anyone else found a work around or should I just consider that tool dead to me now?

Last edited:
So I've been having problems with Vectorworks 2014. The Instrument Summary Tool always crashes the program. I usually have to try several times to get it to work. I'll click once on the tool, and sit back and wait for it to respond. Usually the pop up window comes up saying that the program crashed and to restart it. I've moved inventory reporting over to Lightwright and am starting to get tempted to created a stock symbol file to copy and paste from for my instrument key.

It is not like my computer is underpowered (AMD FX 3.60GHz Eight Core Processor, 32 GB RAM, and a 2gb 128 bit video card). Has anyone else found a work around or should I just consider that tool dead to me now?

No real useful answer as I never use that and similar tools in VW, as it's all in LW.

I would suggest calling Nemetchek tech. support as they are very helpful.

They'll probably start by saying un-install and re-install.

I do find that if it's a bug, they rarely fix it in this edition. They usual routing since 2012 was issued seems to be some known bug fixes get fixed int he next years edition, which you pay for. And so it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back