Control/Dimming Linking ETC Boards

Hey there everyone
I currently working on a show and we just moved into our new auditorium at the school about two months ago, I've been doing all the programming from the booth but its pretty high up and far back( as it should) but I wanted to be able to record and program from closer to stage so I could really see what it looks like to the audience.

In the booth, we have in ION Xe and for our black box, we have an Element2 which I've put on a portable desk, in the auditorium we run the ION over ETCnet so its just Cat5 connecting in different spots of the house for DMX connection. I've set up the Element2 in the house and connected it to the ETCnet. If I save my show on the ion to a USB and move it to the Element2 I can run my cues and it all works fine except the boards run independently and I one has channels on you can't do anything about it from the other board.

So I was wondering since there is the muti-console function and mirror function on both boards how do I set them up so that I can have a master and run everything through it, but still use the Element2 down by the stage or just use both boards without out them being independent.

When I go to Network and power on multiconsole and then go look in config. and Mirror there are no other consoles.

Mirror mode is just that, a mirror of Screen 1 on primary console and is not meant for programming. Use clients for programming.

2 boards on the same system work independantly unless they know each other.

Easiest thing to do is to plug a windows pc running Gateway Config Editor so you can see whats happening on the network. Here's a few rules.

If you have a managed switch, make sure the firewall is off

Both boards need to be:
In the same IP scheme.
On the same subnet mask
On the same gateway
On the same EOS Software version
On the network tab in ECU:
Transmitting the same output protocols for network... sACN, Art-Net, etc...
Multiconsole checked with same network on both.
Next to Output Protocol select priority of the ION to be 100. set priority of the Element to be 99
Disable Remote Startup and Shutdown on both for now.
If Element and ION do not have the same unlocked parameter count, uncheck backup takes over at higher priority, and backup automatically takes control. Since you're only in a programming environment this will potentially save you a lot of headache

On the ION go into settings in the ECU under network and select ping and ping the IP of the Element.

Once you have these start the ION in primary, wait until it boots.
Start the Element in client mode.

keep them in the same user since you are the only one using the system. Having them the same user and partition will allow a mirror of the command line.

if you still only get primary or mirror in the welcome screen, some people have had a bug with this. Load mirror mode. Let it load. hit alt+F1 to select the primary than select alt+F2 to exit into client mode.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back