Digital Surfaces Linking X32 console sound board to X32 stage box

so, my church made the jump into the digital age with a X32 sound board and X32 stage box. Because of shipping delays, we didn't receive the stage box at the same time, so we used the old analog snake until. But now we can't seem to get the stage box to link with the board. I've watched dozens of videos and tried to copy what they showed but still nothing. (I need to say, I'm NOT to computer savvy). I know it's just s couple of clicks here or there. Just don't know what ones.

Hi Rick-

I'm presuming the church ordered the correct *shielded, with EtherCon* CAT5e cable to connect the X32 and S32 stage box. If not, how are the 2 connected (bunch of questions will follow)?

Connect the CAT5e cable to the "AES50-A" port on the S32. Connect the other end to the AES50-A port on the X32. Power up both devices. On the console screen, in the upper right corner, you'll see the local time (clock). Next to it on the left are 4 small boxes, A:, B:, sample rate and clock source, and expansion card model. Next to the A: box you should have a small green light; this confirms that the S32 is connected and the sample rate clocks are synchonized.

Next, push the ROUTING button on the left side of the display. Use the arrow buttons to select the INPUT tab. You'll have 5 columns of selection and a 6th that should show the S32 in the connected devices window. Using the knob under the left-most column, rotate until the highlight is on "AES50 A 1-8" and push the knob in to select. Using the knob under the next column, select AES50 A 9-16 and push the knob. Repeat for the 3rd and 4th columns and the S32 fully replaces all the XLR inputs on the X32.

I'm using X32 firmware 4.04... so to configure the outputs, in the ROUTING screen I use the arrow buttons to select the tab "AES A", use the left column knob to select "Output 1-8" and the next column to select Output 9-16. Push the knobs as was done for the input selection. The S32 now has all the XLR outputs of the X32.

Note that this does not mirror or duplicate i/o on both devices, rather it sets the physical i/o exclusively. Begining in Version 4.0? Behringer offers a "USER" tab in the Routing > Patch Points menu that allows much more flexibility in i/o assignment than the "groups of 8" setup I described (and that was the only way for a long time).

BTW, some of the best YT vids on the X32 (and esp the V4 firmware updates) are done by Nathan Lively (hint).

Give that go and let us know what happens.

Hi Rick-

I'm presuming the church ordered the correct *shielded, with EtherCon* CAT5e cable to connect the X32 and S32 stage box. If not, how are the 2 connected (bunch of questions will follow)?

Connect the CAT5e cable to the "AES50-A" port on the S32. Connect the other end to the AES50-A port on the X32. Power up both devices. On the console screen, in the upper right corner, you'll see the local time (clock). Next to it on the left are 4 small boxes, A:, B:, sample rate and clock source, and expansion card model. Next to the A: box you should have a small green light; this confirms that the S32 is connected and the sample rate clocks are synchonized.

Next, push the ROUTING button on the left side of the display. Use the arrow buttons to select the INPUT tab. You'll have 5 columns of selection and a 6th that should show the S32 in the connected devices window. Using the knob under the left-most column, rotate until the highlight is on "AES50 A 1-8" and push the knob in to select. Using the knob under the next column, select AES50 A 9-16 and push the knob. Repeat for the 3rd and 4th columns and the S32 fully replaces all the XLR inputs on the X32.

I'm using X32 firmware 4.04... so to configure the outputs, in the ROUTING screen I use the arrow buttons to select the tab "AES A", use the left column knob to select "Output 1-8" and the next column to select Output 9-16. Push the knobs as was done for the input selection. The S32 now has all the XLR outputs of the X32.

Note that this does not mirror or duplicate i/o on both devices, rather it sets the physical i/o exclusively. Begining in Version 4.0? Behringer offers a "USER" tab in the Routing > Patch Points menu that allows much more flexibility in i/o assignment than the "groups of 8" setup I described (and that was the only way for a long time).

BTW, some of the best YT vids on the X32 (and esp the V4 firmware updates) are done by Nathan Lively (hint).

Give that go and let us know what happens.
Yes, we did get the Cat5 cable and do have it pluged into AES50-A on both. I'm not at the church right now. but will be there in the morning and will give what you have said a try. Thank you for responding so quickly. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Yes, we did get the Cat5 cable and do have it pluged into AES50-A on both. I'm not at the church right now. but will be there in the morning and will give what you have said a try. Thank you for responding so quickly. I'll let you know tomorrow.
OK, here at the church. Did all the settings you suggest. and still can't get anything back to the board. Am I missing something simple ?? All I should need is the Cat5 plugged into the board, power to the stage box. Mikes,etc plugged in. just don't know what else it could be.

Grab a copy of your console file and attach it to a post here so we can double-check thru it, or PM me and I can shoot you my email. Figure I should do something productive while I'm cooking breakfast.

Grab a copy of your console file and attach it to a post here so we can double-check thru it, or PM me and I can shoot you my email. Figure I should do something productive while I'm cooking breakfast.

Attachments

• 20210410_093332.jpg
    20210410_093332.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 243
We don't have a computer hooked into it yet.Is this the reason we can't get it to work??

Not at all. No computer required to get things to work, it's just the easiest way for me to troubleshoot from my couch. I couldn't tell you how to pull a console file off an X32, I've only ever touched one in real life maybe twice, usually I'm just doing remote troubleshooting on them.

So go to channel 1, assuming it's patched to something onstage that can make noise right now. Is the preamp turned up? Your preamp gains reset when you change patch source.

You need to put a usb stick in the desk and save your show to the stick, then put that stick into a computer and upload the file you saved to here.

Not at all. No computer required to get things to work, it's just the easiest way for me to troubleshoot from my couch. I couldn't tell you how to pull a console file off an X32, I've only ever touched one in real life maybe twice, usually I'm just doing remote troubleshooting on them.

So go to channel 1, assuming it's patched to something onstage that can make noise right now. Is the preamp turned up? Your preamp gains reset when you change patch source.
OK, This might be our problem. No, I haven't reset the gains!! Didn't even think of that. I'm here all along right now, I'll let you know when I get some other bodies in here.

They aren't at all dumb questions.

Anybody who has never forgotten to set a gain (or route a channel to an output, or raise the output level, or unmute a channel or group, or raise a DCA, or plugged into the wrong channel, or....) and then spent a good bit of time trying to figure out why there's no audio getting through has not been doing sound work for very long. They may all be rather simple and obvious problems once you find them, but good golly, it sure can take some effort to track one down on a bad day.

I know too well about finding the most simplest things. Being 66 yo I have my fair share of "Brain Farts" Just like this. I knew it was something simple, just needed a couple ideas from people with fresh eyes. And I'll probably be back on as we move into Live Streaming. We have the main equipment.( still waiting for our camera to come in)

When you go to the ROUTING section of the X32 do you at least see the S32 device as being connected on the HOME tab? It should be listed under Connected Devices, you'll see the graphic icon there.

Once the X32 sees the S32 connected to it - in order to utilize signal from the S32 you need to adjust the Inputs 1-8, Inputs 9-16, Inputs 17-24, and Inputs 25-32 on the HOME tab of the ROUTING screen under Channel Processing Block Patch - to point it to AES50 (A or B) and the appropriate channels.

When you go to the ROUTING section of the X32 do you at least see the S32 device as being connected on the HOME tab? It should be listed under Connected Devices, you'll see the graphic icon there.

Once the X32 sees the S32 connected to it - in order to utilize signal from the S32 you need to adjust the Inputs 1-8, Inputs 9-16, Inputs 17-24, and Inputs 25-32 on the HOME tab of the ROUTING screen under Channel Processing Block Patch - to point it to AES50 (A or B) and the appropriate channels.
Thank you, as you may have seen in the past post. I have found my problem and it's up and running. Thank you again for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back