List of working Hemp Houses?

The Capitol Theater in Olympia, WA is probably a hemp house. I was involved in a radio broadcast from there last December and I think I saw rope in the fly loft, but I was too busy to really examine it. It also has a functional plate dimming system. The theater was built in 1924 and very minimal work has been done to the facility since a renovation following a fire in 1937. Plaster repair followed the 2001 earthquake and the marquee was replaced, but that's about it.

Last edited:
From tour memory, the Ross Perot Theater in Texarkana, TX. The State Theater in New Brunswick, NJ. The Grand 1894 Opera House, in Galveston, TX. I'm sure there are others I completely failed to notice or remember.

Edit: I was looking for more info on The State, I think they might run the best hemp house from my limited perspective and I found this which also mentions the Walnut in Philadelphia and the Wells Theater in Norfolk, VA are also active hemp houses.

On a tangent, while the New Victory has lost their hemp rigging as noted in the article, it is one of the most beautiful vaudeville theaters in New York, the restoration on the venue was fantastic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back