Control/Dimming Locking C-Clamps?

Amishplumber

Hi all,

So my buddy owns a small blackbox theater where the dimming consists of D4DMX packs hung from the grid with normal c-clamps. All the wiring to the packs is ziptied to hooks hanging from the ceiling (not to the grid itself) and the idea is that the packs don't are not to be moved. The tech packet says the packs stay put, the plot has a note on it and he tells all the renters not to move them. Guess what; they get moved. So, any ideas on how to mount these packs to the grid in a fashion that the next LD who comes in won't be able to shift them around? Anyone know where he could get a c-clamp that perhaps locks or uses some sort of odd tool, like Torx or a star-head to get tightened down?

The other idea I'm floating to him is to attach the packs to the wooden ceiling right above the grid. The grid is something like 18" below the ceiling, so they would be close, but there is the chance it will make cable runs more numerous and annoying. Fewer lights would be able to plug directly into the packs without a jumper. Thoughts on if that is an acceptable compromise?

Thanks in advance!

I've seen packs mounted directly to the ceiling above a grid and it was okay, but your concerns are valid -- it wasn't the best thing in the world. I don't know of any way of attaching to pipe that can't be easily undone, but what if you used a small chain/padlock setup, kind of like a bicycle lock? The packs would still be able to slide, but at least they'd be restricted to a smaller territory. If the renters cut the chain/lock, bill them.

Obviously, don't use the setup in lieu of a safety cable but in addition to.

Hi all,

So my buddy owns a small blackbox theater where the dimming consists of D4DMX packs hung from the grid with normal c-clamps. All the wiring to the packs is ziptied to hooks hanging from the ceiling (not to the grid itself) and the idea is that the packs don't are not to be moved. The tech packet says the packs stay put, the plot has a note on it and he tells all the renters not to move them. Guess what; they get moved. So, any ideas on how to mount these packs to the grid in a fashion that the next LD who comes in won't be able to shift them around? Anyone know where he could get a c-clamp that perhaps locks or uses some sort of odd tool, like Torx or a star-head to get tightened down?

The other idea I'm floating to him is to attach the packs to the wooden ceiling right above the grid. The grid is something like 18" below the ceiling, so they would be close, but there is the chance it will make cable runs more numerous and annoying. Fewer lights would be able to plug directly into the packs without a jumper. Thoughts on if that is an acceptable compromise?

Thanks in advance!

I think I know which venue this is...

He could always lag the dimmers to the ceiling. Or, use locktite on the C-clamp bolts to make them more difficult to remove.

But the short answer is, people are always going to want to move them, for one reason or another. (If it's the venue I'm thinking of, the last time I was there, two fuses on two dimmers had blown, and need to be replaced. That's one reason!) And no matter how difficult moving a dimmer becomes, someone who's determined for themselves that it needs to be moved will find a way to move it. (If it's the same venue, they only had a small number of extension cords on hand, so it's often logistically more expedient to move the dimmer pack than to run four cables to a new position.) Making it more difficult to move may simply mean it becomes easier to damage the facility -- or the dimmer pack -- in order to accomplish the short-term goal.

A better solution by far is not merely to ask that they not move by indirect means -- the tech packet, the lighting paperwork -- but to work with renters to see why they may want to move something the owner doesn't want touched, and present alternative solutions. The owner might also want to talk more with visiting companies' lighting staff, to determine their level of skill and experience; I bet if he addressed his underlying concerns -- not putting things back in the same order, zip-tying cables back to the pipes -- he might find people are willing to actually act on them.

Perhaps applicable?
It should be noted that while there are sites that mount SmartBars and SmartBar2s in a permanent manner, they are listed as a portable device. As such, the only listed alternate method of mounting not custom designed at the factory is the C-Clamp. The decision of how to best mount the unit is ultimately up to you and your AHJ. It is up to the site to determine how portable devices are to be mounted to be in compliance with local codes. ...

Maybe the idea shouldn't be to prevent moving of the packs since that can lead to more damage done as someone previously stated. What you could tell your buddy to do is mark the location of the dimmer packs with paint pen or silver sharpie on the battens and make restoring the house part of your contract with outside users. The idea is that if they move the packs or repatch fixtures, etc., then they are responsible for restoring the location of the packs and cabling and the house rep plot and patch. If they decide not to restore, charge them for the labor to do the restore.

Maybe the idea shouldn't be to prevent moving of the packs since that can lead to more damage done as someone previously stated. What you could tell your buddy to do is mark the location of the dimmer packs with paint pen or silver sharpie on the battens and make restoring the house part of your contract with outside users. The idea is that if they move the packs or repatch fixtures, etc., then they are responsible for restoring the location of the packs and cabling and the house rep plot and patch. If they decide not to restore, charge them for the labor to do the restore.

That's a great idea. That would give the renter the flexibility to do what they want to achieve their lighting design.

You may want to have a "Default Plot" in writing and require a deposit . If the stage isn't returned to the Default Plot after the show, you keep the deposit as payment to cover your time to put everything back. It's easier to keep a deposit than to charge someone later.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback!

Letting the renters move packs around isn't really on the table as an option. The owner doesn't want it. Also, all the cable runs are cut exactly to length and ziptied up and out of the way. The cables in house don't allow the packs to be placed anywhere else than they are. Also, from experience, we have very little faith in the renters restoring everything to rep...

This all came up since we're doing our annual clean-up day later this month where we bench and clean all the instrumentation and re-do cable runs etc. We're replacing the broken packs, adding two more packs, adding more jumpers to inventory and hooking up the brand new power distro that just got installed. Plan right now is that the new better setup along with more labeling and some stiff words in the contract will take care of the issue.

We have changed all of our dimmers to 20amp twistlocks... (yeah... we are using 12ga extensions for them and changed the cables at the pack to 12 ga cable as well). Now... dimmers run with twistlock... twistlock is always 12ga. Instruments run with uground and 14ga... We keep a limited amount of twistlock cabling locked up with our spare dimmers... You'll find that the dimmers won't get moved as often if there's no way to get power to it.

For groups that insist on moving lights... we have lots of uground cable to assist them... and a reset charge to put stuff back the way it was when they found it... A group that insists on major changes to the house plot often do a rethink when they realize that it's going to cost them money.

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back