Long throw LED fixture with Fan control channel

AFSQ

I'm replacing Par64 NSPs used as hi sides in a concert hall. Throw distance is 55' - 70'. Fixtures must have a fan control channel so as to operate silently when needed.

I'm leaning towards Lustrs with 14° tubes as I can't find many other ERS's with fan control. Any suggestions?

Since it's a concert venue, do you see yourself needing any sort of color mixing? If not, ETC's S4WRD line might fit your needs as the LED engine is convection cooled and fan-less. Either the PAR body as a direct replacement for your current gear, or the spot w/ 14 deg tube as you mention. @Ford can speak more on this, but I found the fans on the Ovation 'ellipsoidal' line to be very quiet, so they're definitely worth a look. I'd highly recommend getting some demos in your space, you might find some other feature more important, or fan noise negligible in that position/space.

Altman Phoenix 150W is fanless. I prefer the dimming and color capability of the Colorsource Spot which is around the same pricepoint - but the Altman is silent. If that is your limiting criteria, and the lighting performance of the fixture is a secondary concern, it works very well.

Edit: I realized that this was worded imprecisely and revised. I specified the PHX 150W in a concert hall design and the noise levels were measured and approved by a nationally known acoustical consultant who has a reputation for dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.

Last edited:
I'm replacing Par64 NSPs used as hi sides in a concert hall. Throw distance is 55' - 70'. Fixtures must have a fan control channel so as to operate silently when needed.

I'm leaning towards Lustrs with 14° tubes as I can't find many other ERS's with fan control. Any suggestions?

Why an ellipsoidal ?. Would an ETC D40 or D60 Par work. They have a lot of lensing options and are cheaper that a Lustr

Ovation fixtures have fan control, and can run fanless, if required.
please reach out, if you’d like me to facilitate a demo in your space.

Last edited:
I've used the ovations and I can confirm they are essentially silent even with the fans on. I also run altman phoenixes in my space and they too are silent. Our symphony and patrons have never noticed any sound from them and they allow full color mixing.

Since it's a concert venue, do you see yourself needing any sort of color mixing? If not, ETC's S4WRD line might fit your needs as the LED engine is convection cooled and fan-less. Either the PAR body as a direct replacement for your current gear, or the spot w/ 14 deg tube as you mention. @Ford can speak more on this, but I found the fans on the Ovation 'ellipsoidal' line to be very quiet, so they're definitely worth a look. I'd highly recommend getting some demos in your space, you might find some other feature more important, or fan noise negligible in that position/space.

My bad. I left out that these do need to be Color mixing.

I am looking at the source 4WRD to replace our conventional lamps in the rest of the rig. Have you had any first hand experience with them?

Ovation fixtures have fan control, and can run fanless, if required.
please reach out, if you’d like me to facilitate a demo in your space.

I looked at the manual for the E-910FC, but couldn't find any reference to fan control. did I miss something? I did leave out in my original post that I'm looking for colormixing. Sorry

I looked at the manual for the E-910FC, but couldn't find any reference to fan control. did I miss something? I did leave out in my original post that I'm looking for colormixing. Sorry
It's in the menu settings, either Auto, On, Off, or Silent. (For reference, I used the handy document search built into my PDF reader to find the exact settings.)

If you expect to be mostly in whites or pale colors the E-930VW or S4 Lustr would be better with more true color rendering.

My bad. I left out that these do need to be Color mixing.

I am looking at the source 4WRD to replace our conventional lamps in the rest of the rig. Have you had any first hand experience with them?
I used a demo of them when the first came out and was generally happy with them. That was before they made the Par adapter, but it was smooth, mimicked the other dimming curves and color and was great if you wanted to convert some existing inventory. At the time the cost of them didn't merit making a transition. I haven't looked at them recently but other than being from ETC which means I know its a quality product, I still hesitate because I've worked with a lot of other options that I know are completely acceptable and may still save me some money and I'd get a whole new instrument to add to the stock.

All that being said the Ovation 910's really are a nice fixture. It and then their white only version were the go to for LED ellipsoidals at the last rental company I was with.

Michael while the S4WRD is very quiet glad you think there is no fan, there actually is a small fan that is always on. This is so it creates a standard noise floor so you don't hear it ramp up/down. It's actually at like 28 or 29db if I recall which is basically right at standard HVAC background noise. As S4WRD can run on dmx or lined dim, it does not have a dmx channel for fan speed control as a result of the line dim option.

@AFSQ

A series 2 Lustr like you said would be a standard option/upgrade . I would hwoever suggest looking at the Tungsten HD (Tunsgten HD has more output in open white then Lustr, but a slightly restricted color range) for long throw distances. It actually makes a lot of colors, and even some saturates but it has more leds to mix to a brighter 3200k look than the lustr. And any Series 2 fixture has DMX Fan control.
Here is a quick video about it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(Check out the entire thing, but the color part is at 1:40 in)

However as others have said as an alternate idea if you're used to a PAR 64 and softlight, aren't you just going to put a lot of diffusion in the spot and make it soft again. I would look at the D40/D60 as others said...these have very quiet fans but are DMX controlled. If the fixtures are more or less permanenly hung, you could also go a litle crazy and use the D40XT or D60X (Outdoor versions of the Desire Par family, and these units are completely fanless as they were meant for outdoors). The do use a molex connector for power is the only thing you have to consider, but there are adapters to Edison/StagePin/TwistLock.

1580971210431.png

Last edited:
Altman Phoenix 150W is fanless. I prefer the dimming and color capability of the Colorsource Spot which is around the same pricepoint - but the Altman is silent. If that is your limiting criteria, and the lighting performance of the fixture is a secondary concern, it works very well.

Edit: I realized that this was worded imprecisely and revised. I specified the PHX 150W in a concert hall design and the noise levels were measured and approved by a nationally known acoustical consultant who has a reputation for dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.

@rwhealey
At 55-70' I don't think the 150w model color changing version is going to have enough output/punch and footcandles to be useful at all. Having to us a 5 degree seems impractical to hang a 5 degree lens from a sidelight position on a pipe.

1580970640623.png

Last edited:
I looked breifly at that option but it seemed like even with the narrow lens the footcandles are quite low at the distances I'm dealing with when compared to an ERS with a 14° or 19°
Your output is actually very similar on a 14 degree ERS Series 2 Lustr and a D60. And the D60 is less, and technically is a narrow beam.

And remember this is only in open white, as soon as you do colored side light, you are not going to need as much punch as LED Additive Color Mixing vs Par64 gel Subtractive mixing means LEDs win every time in darker saturated colors.

1580972005941.png

Attachments

• 1580971887688.png
    1580971887688.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Back