Look Out World

Good evening! I just found this forum, and I can't wait to talk with some of you! I was home-schooled K-12, and hardly even heard of live theatre. I started college at a tiny two-year university with no lighting programs, and only general tech practicals. I loved the lights anyway. I am no artist, and I'm not a math head. But I started running light-board (An Ion) in my University theatre, and I haven't looked back. I am developing my artist's eye, and I love the psychology of color and the thrill of finding just the right combinations of light that looks inventive and clear. Tonight, the eve of my 21st birthday, I opened my first show as Lighting Designer, in a tiny community theatre with 2 dozen fixtures, 2 specials, and a Cross-Fader board. I did terribly, I am sure, but I did it on my own, with no classes, a good tutor, and a lot of self-study. I don't talk all the talk yet. But I just wanted to let all you pros and masteros out there that I am coming for you. :) I can't wait to talk with some of you, read your posts, and learn from the best of the best. Ciao!

I did terribly, I am sure, but I did it on my own
Why do you say you did terribly? It's important to be critical of your own work, of course; what do you wish you did differently? I am not a theatrical guy, I do bands; so I am very curious to hear more of your thoughts after your first gig as LD. It may be educational for me. :)

Now that you have introduced yourself reopen the "I did bad the first time" thread in the lighting area, you will get more feedback. Explain what you did and how would you do it different next time. Great way to learn.
Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the tip Michael. :)

Jeff, I was rather looking forward to my limited resources; I was thinking that would be perfect for a beginner. But I only had 8 overheads, and 8 face lightes in house. I am having difficulties with shadows, more than anything. The face lights are ETC Source Fours, and the overheads are standard 6x9 Lekos. The throw from the ETC's in the back of house caused major shadows on the actor's faces; so I rigged a shinbuster kind of deal in center house balcony to get rid of those shadows. Problem is, the throw distance and angle are still less than ideal, due to the placement on the balcony. There aren't really enough overheads to compensate for the the shadows, so when people cross on stage or block behind one another, they tend to stand in total shadow. It's annoying, and I'm not sure how to best fix it.

Thanks for the tip Michael. :)

Jeff, I was rather looking forward to my limited resources; I was thinking that would be perfect for a beginner. But I only had 8 overheads, and 8 face lightes in house. I am having difficulties with shadows, more than anything. The face lights are ETC Source Fours, and the overheads are standard 6x9 Lekos. The throw from the ETC's in the back of house caused major shadows on the actor's faces; so I rigged a shinbuster kind of deal in center house balcony to get rid of those shadows. Problem is, the throw distance and angle are still less than ideal, due to the placement on the balcony. There aren't really enough overheads to compensate for the the shadows, so when people cross on stage or block behind one another, they tend to stand in total shadow. It's annoying, and I'm not sure how to best fix it.

I would love to hear more about it as well, and while 16 instruments for general lighting is limited i'm not sure your stage size or layout, optimum angle is a 45*x45* from what your lighting. As far as overhead lighting are you talking about the instruments pointing straight down? if so your shadows might be better handled with the instruments in house rather than above the actors.

I would love to hear more about it as well, and while 16 instruments for general lighting is limited i'm not sure your stage size or layout, optimum angle is a 45*x45* from what your lighting. As far as overhead lighting are you talking about the instruments pointing straight down? if so your shadows might be better handled with the instruments in house rather than above the actors.

Yea, I tried to control the shadows by adding a shinbuster pole to center house, instead of the two fixture apparatuses on either side. So now I have 8 ETC's in house, but the placement angle is a good deal less than 45 degrees, hence some of the issues. The layout really isn't that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back