Looking to Rent Moving Lights IOWA

Hey everyone!

I'm the technical director at Ames High School in Ames (central) Iowa. In a couple of weeks we will be putting on Grease the Musical. I'd like to make this show extra special since it is my senior year... so I'd like to get my hands on a couple of moving lights.

I'm just looking for 2-4 (2 would be GREAT) bright moving lights. Scanners or moving head lights, doesn't matter. When I say bright, I mean I don't want a cheap light with a 150watt lamp.

We're a school, so we don't have lots of money, but we can definitely pay you somehting to rent them. I'd need them for about 1.5-2 weeks.

SO, on the off chance that you live close to Ames, Iowa and have 2 moving lights you wouldn't mind renting out for about 2 weeks, let me know! Thanks! :)

First I'd check with your local university, they might be willing to rent them to you.

Try calling Nate at 16th Ave. Music, (319) 362-1987. But it is 2.5 hrs away in Cedar Rapids.

You can also try PMing FatherMurphy he's also in the area and would be able to help you out.

Last edited:
Good luck with your senior show but a question, what board are you using? In other words, is it usable to run movers or are you going to need a board too.

Using an ETC Express 48/96.

I've used it before to run moving lights. It's not the greatest for live shows but it works great for theatrical performances!

edit: Oh, and thanks for the good luck! It should be a great show.

Last edited:
Central Lighting & Equipment, Inc. in Des Moines, only 30 miles away, is (among other things) a rental house. Contact Chris Jansen at 515-277-4190.

Michael Powers, Project Manager, ETCP Certified Rigger-Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment, Inc. Des Moines, Iowa

Update:

I contacted A to Z Sound near Des Moines and they wannted WAY too much to rent even one mover.
Then I called Chris at CLE. Very nice guy! Unfortunately all of his movers are rented out for next week when i need them.

Still no Moving Lights. Any more suggestions welcome!
Thanks!

Still no Moving Lights. Any more suggestions welcome!
Thanks! ...

306 miles from Ames to Chicago, closer to western suburbs, and I hear they have lots of moving lights there. Also, 227 miles, everything's up to date in Kansas City!:)

The closest production company I know of to Iowa is Upstaging, which is in Sycamore, near I-88. Farther east, there's ILC in Des Plaines, Performance in Elk Grove Village, TLC in Burr Ridge, Windy City Music also Burr Ridge, TLG in Wood Dale. But they're all 2 - 3 hours from the border.

306 miles from Ames to Chicago, closer to western suburbs, and I hear they have lots of moving lights there. Also, 227 miles, everything's up to date in Kansas City!:)

They might have a few in there...

Wrap up--

This was an interesting experience. I never expected to get so much local support from a worldwide online forum. So awesome!

Even though all the contacts listed in the thread didn't work out, a student at ISU (wo is the head electrician at Fisher Theater) contacted me through Facebook to let me know that he has some lights that I could use.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get them. It may be nearly too late, but that's okay.

Thanks for all the suggestions and helpful advice! You guys rock! :cool:

One of the main goals of the forum is to connect with like-minded theater technicians/managers/gurus/etc and the ControlBooth SHINES!

:clap:

After all, everyone is local to some degree- right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back