Looooong Gig

photoatdv

So I have a gig coming up that will require myself and my ATD to be awake/alert/working/productive for 30+ hours on site. I know this isn't terribly uncommon in parts of the pro world.

How do you guys stay on your toes for that long?

I did a previous similar gig and know I didn't do my best near the end of it... and it wasn't really a huge deal... but this time I am TD and it's pretty crucial that I'm at the top of my game for the whole event.

Oh and lets stick to legal options :).

Split shifts. There is no safe way to work for 30 hours with out sleep.

If you're working in a place where OSHA has any kind of jurisdiction, I don't think there is a 'legal' way either.

OSHA does not have jurisdiction here for multiple reasons... nor am I going to have someone cover for me anyway. If I sleep at all (which is doubtful it'll be onsite in case I'm needed).

By "legal" I meant don't suggest getting high...

Whether or not it's "legal", it is done commonly... I've known guys to stay up for 40-50 hours straight working ... I just don't know how.

Last edited:
Any event I have worked that spans more than 14 to 16 hours in a row rotates crew. If not complete replacements the lead will hit the hay for a few hours and the second will run the ship. It may not be quality sleep but 3 or 4 hours is better than nothing.

Being able to stand up with your eyes open could be called awake but that doesn't mean your useful. I know personally I can give 14 solid hours of supervision or programing before I need more than a quick meal break. Much after that I hit a wall, mistakes start becoming more frequent and I find myself looking into a case trying to remember what I was going to grab. Not good.

Roster on a couple more crew than actually needed so that you can let a couple of people catch a few hours sleep at any one time. No other way to do it safely.

Maybe I should look into starting load-in a few hours earlier so I can take a break while my second does his part of the setup then he can take a break while I do mine. I can usually go 18 hours before I'm not as on the game, and by about 20 I start making mistakes (these are considering something that keeps me busy and the adrenaline flowing). Unfortunately 18 hours will be right smack in the middle of the event.

I do plan on rotating the hands-- probably have one group for in/out and one for show. I guess I need to look into another ATD/assistant... with everything going on on this event there need to be two leads, plus the hands there the whole time.

I will have more hands and/or do split shifts... the issue is just the ATD and I. I'm trying to figure out how much adrenaline and caffeine will do... of course it doesn't help that I hate energy drinks.

When I do long events I have learned to do a few things.

1. Adjust my sleep schedule so that by the time I would normally be getting tired the sun is already up.
2. Take a shower before you go to bed the day before, have everything packed and ready to go (in your car already if you feel comfortable with that), including laying out clothes shoes. This allows you to wake up go to the bathroom and get out the door right away.
3. Eat, eat, eat. This is very important, if you keep eating every few hours you'll have more energy to keep going. Don't eat crap, eat something with nutritional value. I like Protein bars for breakfast and snacks. Take a real lunch break, get some more good food in you. Take 5 minutes to eat a bar every few hours. Take a real dinner break, again eat good food.
4. Drink lots of water, you don't want to crash because you were drinking soda/energy drinks. You will be going to the bathroom a lot, but that's okay.
5. Take any time not alloted for food where you don't have something to do and take a 20 minute nap if you can, otherwise just sit down.
6. If you don't need to stand, then don't! Standing uses more energy than sitting or laying down.
7. If you have time, and possibility of, depending on the venue, take a shower.
8. If you are in a space with temperature control, turn the heat up a little bit. You are looking for that temperature range that is too annoying to sleep in buy not so hot that your sweating profusely due to the heat.
9. If you need a break take one. Simple as that, better off sleeping for an hour or two while your not directly needed (they will wake you if it's that important), than dragging your body around all day and losing focus.
10. Talk to your employer about getting more venue time to spread out the hours an extra day next time (in my expierience this has actually worked).

Tea, and Coca Cola...

Also, sugar... Lots of sugar... It's a vicious cycle though, you need to keep feeding the caffeene and sugar into your system, or you'll crash.

I get 'punchy' after about 20 hours... By Punchy, I mean yelly, snappy, and giggly, all in jest mind you... My crew are used to it, we play off each other, funny voices come out, and instructions get repeated slower and louder, until everyone understands.

Also, regardless of how long you plan on working... Be sure to get at least SOME meal breaks in there... Sugar and Caffeene will keep you going, but you'll have the worst case of gut rot in the world, unless you put something REAL in your stomach.

I've never done 30 in a row, and really, I advise against even doing 20... Or really, more than about 10 or 12... There is just no way to stay at 100% over that amount of time.

Caffeine and sugar are the reason you crash, that's why it is a vicious cycle. Your best bet is to avoid caffeine and sugar as much as possible. However, simply put, there are different types of sugar and the good kind is needed to maintain good energy. The sugar found in soft drinks and energy drinks is the bad kind. It gives you a boost and you crash 20 minutes later and need more, much like caffeine. The kind you want is sugar that is naturally in things and unrefined. It will give your body what it really needs and will not just give you a quick boost.

Other than that, everything Arez said is dead on. I would say those tips should be in a collaborative article where they are easy to find.

I've never done 30 either, but for The Celtic Roots Festival I do every year, I am going for more than a week with the last 4 days all being at least 16 hours long, plus time at the bar... This year we've added more days as well so it will be more.
I'd suggest trying to fit in 20-minute cat-naps once and a while when you can. As long as you have a 2nd in command who can wake you if needed, it should be fine. If you are going to nap I would limit them to 20-min periods unless you are expecting to go for a hour. I find anything more than 20-min but less than a hour makes you feel more tired when you wake up.

Avoid caffeine (perhaps indulge near the home stretch) EXPECIALLY the caffeine in energy drinks (there is a lot of potent caffeine in them and you'll crash hard)... Try drinking green tea (smoother caffeine high I find), or herbal teas (have lots of good stuff in them... Perhaps ones with things like Ginseng, etc)...
Use honey or something as a sweetener instead of white sugar (takes longer for your body to process the sugar, so you are less likely to crash).

Nutrition is important! You'll need carbs for fuel. Avoid heavily fatty foods, or foods that take a lot of energy to digest (like red meat, celery and cucumber).

GET LOTS OF SLEEP THE NIGHT BEFORE (even though I know it's hard because your head just wants to tick away I find before a big gig)...

Other than that, have fun.

Hey, photoatdv, has this gig happened yet? If so, how'd you make out? I have a dance marathon coming up in a couple of weeks that will require running lights all day, all night, into the next morning. I did it last year and it was tough, but it's not the worst stretch of gig I've ever done. Twice in my life I have worked three full days without sleep. I'm talking: get up in the morning for Gig 1, finish late that night, drive to Gig 2 in time for load in, work all day, then drive to Gig 3 in time for breakfast/shower/load in. Then work all day there and drive 3 hours back home. The last drive I pulled over on the side of the road and slept for a few minutes before going home and passing out for a couple of days.

I do not recommend this at all, especially if you are driving! One of those second nights was driving from Boston to New York (around 4 hours) and I could have easily killed someone. Red Bull and other energy drinks have no effect on me, so thankfully my passenger was there to help me out.

If you have to be awake, alert, and active the entire time then you'll probably do better than if you have down time. Stay away from climbing, rigging, and working with power tools if you do not feel alert enough to do it safely. If you can find any time to sleep then take the opportunity. The gig I have coming up is extremely simple. We're loading in (and I'm programming) the day before, so it's just a show up and run a couple of scenes for 36 hours kind of gig. The load out will go slowly (that's okay) and the worst will be the drive home at the end of it all.

Good luck!

Meditation works well also, usually a 20 minute mediation break and you can be refreshed for a quite a while

Sharyn

Nope. Still a bit out.

When I did a bit of a marathon before I had rehearsal for show A, school, meeting for show B, show C, strike from show C, prep for show B, sleep 3 hours, loadin show B, run show B, catch an hour's nap, finish show B, load out show B.... all of this taking place between 6am day 1 and 10:30am day 3...

Meditation works well also, usually a 20 minute mediation break and you can be refreshed for a quite a while

Sharyn

Hippy!

I have always wanted to try meditation. The Wii Fit wants me to do it. I just have to get over me doing it. Any advice?

Just take regular brakes, don't have energy drinks (hey, i have never had one and no problems staying awake), avoid soft drinks, and eat healthy nutritios food. Take breaks reguarly, and if you feel you are compromised in a way that could affect you or your work detrimentaly, take another brake IMMEDIATELY.

Me 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back