Mixers/Consoles LS9 and MY16AT Expansion Card

sdauditorium

We currently have the 32-channel version, and I'm looking into expanding the number of mic inputs beyond that. Ultimately, we'll go for a digital snake in a 3-5 years, but at this point, I was looking at the MY16AT expansion card with optical I/O. Just to make sure I'm correct before we purchase, I would just need to purchase 8-channel mic preamps with equivalent sampling rates and optical I/O?

It seems straightforward but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

ETA: I realize I transposed the card model in the thread title.

Last edited:
That sounds right to me. I bought a My16AT for my 01V96V2 a few years back, started with a pair of Behringer ADA8000's, and then replaced them with Digimax D8s. Spent a lot of time getting a clean BNC word clock setup, and then I ended up never using it :|

The my16AT card worked fine though -- as soon as you plug it in the extra I/O channels appear on the board right away.

I should clarify though ... there is a "word clock" that needs to be synchronized between the mixer and the ADAT devices. You have two choices -- internal syncing via the ADAT cable itself, and external syncing via BNC cable. The internal syncing is not supposed to be as reliable, therefore it is recommended that you use the external BNC. A bit messy to set up because the BNC has to have T-connectors to device and terminators at the ends of the cable.

We do this with dm1k all I would say is do not use the dumb t bnc even though that's what yamaha manual says ... use a good Ole analog video da. Take bnc out of console into da then to mic pres.

I'd say though if you need more inputs try and bite the bullet for the digital snake that's what we do with ls9s and much better solution for sure.

How to distribute clock depends upon whether the sync input is terminating, or not. The ADA8000 does not terminate (input impedance 750 ohms or more), so T connectors, 75 ohm cables, and a 75 ohm termination on the end is perfectly acceptable and low cost. If the device has a terminating input (input impedance = 75 ohms), then a distribution amp is the way to go when running more than one box.

I'm late to this post but another option is yahama makes an analogue card with like a DB25 connector and a XLR break out fantail. Then you just need a (depending on your needs) a quality or cheap 8 channel preamp. something like the Saffire Octipre (which I think contains the option for ADAT as well. but going analogue means not having to futz with a word clock as well.

Thanks for the alternative Nick. It's not something we're needing in the short-term, but I'm gathering some info to figure out which direction I'm going to want to go when we proceed.

Don't forget that you won't be able to save/recall the settings of these additional preamps. Unless you get Yammie stuff, but then you are talking big bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back