Mixers/Consoles LS9 Omni Out Newbie

Spaz

Hello there,

First let me say that you folks have helped me build a lot of practical knowledge in the last month. Unfortunately, I'm having a brain freeze concerning this one topic.

Background: I help coordinate the AV, Lighting and Sound controls for a newly opened high school in Los Angeles. As the school year ends, there are many opportunities for bands, presentations and events in our theatre space. This means that I get to really stretch the legs of the space, but I've hit a snag.

We're having a telepresence event soon, which can be dialed in by students on the site. We'll be having a 5 piece band play, which will be routed to our LS9-32. That we can handle. But what we also want to do is set it up so that the entire band's mic/line in signals can be consolidated into an omni out mix that will then be sent out.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to set the individual fader elements for the instruments and performers onto a mix, and then have that mix pushed to the omni outs.

Previously, I've relied on the Direct Out function of the board to push out one fader to one monitor on stage, but this will be impossible given the connections that the master streaming computer has (2 XLRs).

We've tried using a random Omni Out as a monitor line for press a few months ago, but the signal was hopelessly low and full of noise (static or crunch). It's safe to say I need some handholding in respects to using the Mix and Omni outs.
:oops:

We're having a telepresence event soon, which can be dialed in by students on the site. We'll be having a 5 piece band play, which will be routed to our LS9-32. That we can handle. But what we also want to do is set it up so that the entire band's mic/line in signals can be consolidated into an omni out mix that will then be sent out.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to set the individual fader elements for the instruments and performers onto a mix, and then have that mix pushed to the omni outs.

Previously, I've relied on the Direct Out function of the board to push out one fader to one monitor on stage, but this will be impossible given the connections that the master streaming computer has (2 XLRs).

We've tried using a random Omni Out as a monitor line for press a few months ago, but the signal was hopelessly low and full of noise (static or crunch). It's safe to say I need some handholding in respects to using the Mix and Omni outs.
:oops:

As I sit in front of an LS9 waiting for this show to start...

Hit the setup button until you get to system setup, then you'll see the omni out routing under the output port setup. This will route your mixes/matrices to the actual ports.

Outputting on the mix is on the individual screen of any selected channel. Or, if you hit the mix button twice, the faders will represent what is going to that mix. If you're on the master fader bank, then the mix buttons will be the matrices.

See pages 62 and 95 in the manual for more information.

MisterTim hit the nail on the head. Be sure to make sure the master fader for the aux is up and on. Press the master layer button and be sure the fader that corresponds to the output you are using is up (you probably want it at unity "0" for starters). Also be sure that the master is ON. If you still have problems, feel free to email me with your show file, and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

~Dave

Depending on the level of "volume" tunning to your broadcast feed. set the Pre/Post fader option for your channels to the omni correctly. For recording, (because we are also sending audio to our house system), i set the mixes to be pre fader and set a my own balanced mix going out to an omni for the recording. This can be good and bad, but with a band i think this would be your best bet. this way if you change a level in the house to prevent feedback, you arn't dropping the signal on your outgoing broadcast feed.

Any time you give someone a feed, make sure it's not a mic input with phantom power turned on - many outputs do not like seeing phantom power - all sorts of nasties can happen, including low level, static/cracking, and failure of the output.

You can route any channel to an omni out.
(But you cannot route multiple channels to the same omni.)

You can route any bus to an omni.
(But you cannot route multiple buses to the same omni.)

You can route any matrix to an omni out.
(But you cannot route multiple matrices to the same omni.)

You can route any channel or number of channels to any (or all) bus(es).
You can route any (or all) bus(es) to any (or all) matrix(matrices).

But you cannot route a channel directly to a matrix.

The easiest way to inspect or change the routing is in Studio Manager.

Hey guys, quick (late) update.

The show went pretty well, despite having way to many people in the booths coordinating and running things. Thanks to all the tips, we eliminated an annoying buzz running to the transmitter that would beam the show out to our internet bridge and I (at last) learned what what the Sends on Fader mode on our mixes did.

It's been a great learning opportunity that our students are already seeing benefits from.

Thanks again for the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back