Lycian Club Spot restore.

Bobby

So I just bought a Lycian clubspot for 30 bucks. Im looking to restore it and I just have a couple questions.

1) Is it possible to buy rosco gels in small sheets, the frames on this are small as all get out! I wouldn't want to waste the extra gel.

2) What gel numbers would you suggest for it.. I have already seen Rosco101 for a diffusion, what would you say for a color correction, red,blue, etc...

3) Should I have to worry about the temp on the gels? It takes a 360w bulb and I have never bought gels for something this big. Would you suggest a special kind for follow spots?

4) Just for fun, I know they discontinued this light, anyone know when or why?

1) Some DJ suppliers sell "gelpacks" of eight or ten assorted colors in 10"x10" squares. You don't get to choose the colors, and the brand of the color media is rarely specified. I'd suggest making friends with a local theatre and "begging for scraps." You might also try your friendly local lighting dealer.

2) Type "followspot color" into the search box. Lots of different opinions, most depending on a particular show.

3) Roscolux, LEE Filers, GamColor, and ApolloGel will all be fine. Extremely saturated colors may fade or burn through after a long time, but it's unlikely you'll be wanting them in a followspot.

4) When? Within the past few years I believe. Why? Because they brought out more modern replacements.

Enjoy your new light. How do you intend to use it?

proxy.php

http://www.usedlighting.com/view/2641/lycian-club-spot

Because I really enjoy when the color of the handle resembles the color of the filter, I would recommend:
1- R02 BA
2- R33 PNK
3- R51 LAV
4- R73 B/G
5- R65 BLU
6- R26 RED
7-Blackout (douser)

Last edited:
Woa. does the thing turn on? Was it dragged behind a truck? How did you pick that up for 30 bucks?

Thanks for the colors Derek.. I agree on doing that, it its kinda nice not having to memorize the colors. I could not really pass it up for 30 bucks, but I do small productions around Halloween and Christmas, so I plan to incorporate into one of the shows.
Footer, yeah the light turns on and everything. I do have to get a new lamp for it and clean out the fan. My buddy works at a storage unit and they had stuff from a club that had closed down. He just saw it and figured I would want it. He didnt know what he had.

$30 ! Wow! Anyway, the only thing I would add is that if you have gel fade problems, move them forward. As you can see by Derek's list, the darker the gel, the further away from the lamp the better! Make sure your fan(s) and venting are in good shape before lamping and use.

Something to keep in mind (and a flaw in the design of that fixture, as well as many others): the blackout slide is after the colors. So even if no light is coming out, the gel is still in the optical path. With dark colors, get into the habit of taking them out when not in use. Bobby, your picture is a good example of a filter that has burned.
bobby-albums-spotlight-picture827-new-spotlight-gel-frame.jpg

I also like to use a 1/2" piece of gaffers tape to tape down the tails of the brass paper fasteners so they don't catch on adjacent frames.

I don't know why they do that! The Lycian HMI I have was the same way, so I modified it to put the douser first. Makes no sense to be burning the gels in blackout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back