Martin Console Verses Hog

Not having used either, but having a fair bit of experience in the business, I can guarantee the following:

You'll get a fair mix of opinions, but the bigger issue is, which better meets your needs? The Martin M series is a new series, so it doesn't have the track record of a Hog. But then, there have been instances of a long product series, and then a new version comes out that's just horrible. Martin and HES/Barco are both stable companies and they both have good customer support. I could go on, but for more definitive answers it might be helpful for you to outline your needs a little more thoroughly.

Martin M series is easier for effects (since they're parameters of fixtures), has better playback functions, allows more advanced playback, and is much more stable. We had a demo Hog 4 and it crashed twice in as many days, and it was while we were doing easy stuff. One of the crashes was triggered simply by hitting "Setup" in a new show. They haven't improved the reliability issues they had with the Hog 3 line, and I still thought the Hog 3 software felt like beta - missing features here & there, so to jump to Hog 4 and still be missing certain things doesn't help. Martin M series all the way. I've programmed a lot on the M1 and it's a great desk. I would not have said that when it first came out or even for a while thereafter, but they've ironed out the issues they had and the latest software release really adds some new powerful functions.

While the M1/2 series of hardware are new, the software has been in continual development since the maxxyz classic came out. The current state of hog 4 is a lot of promises, but not a lot of substantial improvements over hog 3, to date. The new hardware does have some nice features, but I'm not sure if that's enough to make the jump. Personally, I prefer the M-Series. I like the software better, and I get more physical playback options on my M1 than the Hogs. Now, with the M1/2 consoles you're going to be limited on the high end for number of universes (16 and 8, I believe).

What are you looking to do with your console? If you're in need of more horsepower, Martin also recently unveiled the M6, to replace the Maxxyz Compact as their large format console.

The M1 software will support up to at least 64 universes (advertised as an option with the M2PC). The M1 says up to 16 with an optional licence, but if that was really a problem you could probably contact Martin and get something worked out, especially since the older Maxxyz Compact (that runs basically the same exact software) will support 32 universes out of the box.

I'm not the biggest fan of Martin consoles. In my experience they tend to have random, hard to reproduce, hiccups that are very frustrating. That being said if you have no experience with either console currently it's hard to beat how easy it is to learn to use the Martin consoles.

Thanks for the reply's everyone! I am a hog user but the Martin stuff in my eyes is pretty equal to be honest. to me it seems like its preference. I am just having a hard time deciding if I should get the Hog 4 PC or the Martin M2. The Hog 4 has some cool scene play backs but the Martin console has the really cool ability to make an effect live with in a fader. from what I gather can the Hog 4 do that too?

The M1 is ready now, and will be running 2 of the 3 largest grossing concert tours of 2013. Hog4.... Not big show ready yet. If you need a desk now, than between the two, I would only recommend an M1 or M2pc. If you need is farther in the future.. wait and see. The Hog may be the next best thing since sliced bread, Or it might suck.. too soon to tell.

Interesting, considering that NO flavor of Martin console was used on the Top 10 Tours of 2012, and a Maxxyz was used on only one tour in 2011. Good for Martin. Good for the consumer. Competition fosters innovation (in theory at least).

Hello Derek!
Maybe I can put some "light" on this...

Over the last three years we've been mainly concentering on the midsize events with the M1 and M2GO and gain a lot of success there.
Although the M1 was originally designed for small tours, festival and corporate events, it is used on major tour such as Pink, No Doubt, Lionel Richie, Lenny Kravitz … Not bad at all for a relatively small consoles!
But the focus is now shifting upward with the new Martin M6 to be shown in just one month in Frankfurt. It is already beta testing on Pink tour.

With the M-PC being free to use with Artnet and Enttec devices we have seen its popularity going up very fast. In April we will release a new version that will make it even easier to use on PC.

We are very dedicated to make the M-Series the most easiest yet powerful controllers out there.

P.S. I might not post often, but I do read the forum and I love it, I feel like the real questions are asked here.

Keep up the good work!

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back