Automated Fixtures Martin Light Questions

Hi guys,
The club i work at runs nothing but Martin lights and im expected to fix them and run them all.
Currently there are a bunch of broken 2000s and few broken 500s ...some of them are minor like a bulb but others need everything from new gobos and motors. There iseven one with a power cord cut off. I don't have much exp in the fixing of lights (more of the running them type) but my new awesome job wants me to fix them. also i dont know how to rig them right

Any advice?

Depending on what's wrong with each unit and how many problems, it MIGHT be better to just have Martin send a tech out to work on them. Or contact someone who is a certified repair tech. Depends on your skill and experience, too. Either way, I'd contact Martin in FL and ask them whether sending them back, sending a tech out, or using a third party is best.

As for rigging, impossible to say. 1. Don't know what the situation is and 2. the CB creators have fairly strict policies about discussing rigging.

thanks ive sent Martin a few emails with details of whats wrong and theve yet to respond.
Also i think im my job expects me to fix what i can with as little $ as possible. I know i can fix the problems if i just have a little help.

I think your task might be a lot more difficult than you or the company might want to think. These units tend to be pretty complex and out side of the common problems can get to be difficult for the new comer. it is one thing if you had an experienced person to work along with, another to sort of be dumped into the deep end

Martin parts are not cheap,

Typically you are going to need to deal with belts and harnesses that may have problems, then it is on to the motors but there are also driver chips that can go bad on the control boards.

On the lamp side of things you are dealing with somewhat complex circuits with ballasts, and ignitors with fairly large capacitors so you need to be careful what you are doing or run the risk of getting a nasty shock from a unit that has been fired up and is even disconnected.

So it depends on the problems

usually there are lamp problems and then there are "sticking" gobo's colors' etc or pan and tilt issues

Will be a fun experience ;-)))
Hope your boss has a lot of patience and does not expect immediate miracles. Martin typically is not set up to "teach you"

Sharyn

well martins has the manuals for every light online that includes step by step details to changing the bulbs and other like problems and the lights im working on are disconnected for at least a day or two so im not worried about getting shocked or bulbs. I know some of the 2000's have burnt out boards but for the most part what i want to start working on is one 500 that has the end of its powercord missing. I figure i could just cut the end of one the same models thats been gutted at reattach it to the missing one ...please let me know if im wrong.

well martins has the manuals for every light online that includes step by step details to changing the bulbs and other like problems and the lights im working on are disconnected for at least a day or two so im not worried about getting shocked or bulbs. I know some of the 2000's have burnt out boards but for the most part what i want to start working on is one 500 that has the end of its powercord missing. I figure i could just cut the end of one the same models thats been gutted at reattach it to the missing one ...please let me know if im wrong.

What type of plug is on the 500? If it's a regular Edison then just go buy a new one. If it's something that you can't get locally then taking it off another unit may be an option. If it's hard wired leave it, don't go splicing wires together.

one the same models thats been gutted

:neutral:
Gutted?!
Poor light...

This tells me that the person responsible for maintaining the lights before you, was using fixtures as a source for spare parts...

I suspect you're right in your assessment that management would like you to repair these lights for little to no money... It seems to be a common theme in the club world.

The Martin manuals are comprehensive... And given enough time, you can figure out a large portion of the basics of Moving Light repair for yourself... It's helpful if you have a background in Electronics, mind you.

The biggest issue I've run across myself with Martin gear, are sensor issues... Some of these can be disabled safely (Pan Feedback Error, Tilt Feedback Error, etc)... Some of them cannot (Overtemp Heat Sensor)... When in doubt, leave a safety in place.

Your local lighting shop may have someone who has been trained with Martin fixtures... Or the dealer who sold the club the lights may have someone on staff.

Try and talk to your employer, about getting someone trained with these lights sent out to do some of the repairs. Watch them, ask if they mind explaining a few things along the way... Most people don't mind giving the basics as they go along... That way, you'll know the correct way to repair some of these issues in the future... And won't need to go through trial-and-error and cause damage along the way... You may even be able to sell the 'tech visit' to your boss by explaining this to them.

Moving Lights are complicated pieces of technology... Thankfully, most operate in a fairly similar fashion to each other, so what you learn with these lights, will carry on being useful in the future.

Above all, good luck!

what i want to start working on is one 500 that has the end of its powercord missing. I figure i could just cut the end of one the same models thats been gutted at reattach it to the missing one ...please let me know if im wrong.

Just a caveat...
I personally do this to a piece of gear that has something dangerously wrong with it... To prevent someone else from accidentally plugging it in and trying to use it... If you're going to attempt to repair this fixture, first check and make sure there's no obvious interior damage in the base (melted components, etc) or head (jammed motors, etc)

Last edited:
Make friends immediately with LightParts and CB member CWake2. They're in Austin, and their customer service is superior to Martin's.

for the most part what i want to start working on is one 500 that has the end of its powercord missing. I figure i could just cut the end of one the same models thats been gutted at reattach it to the missing one ...please let me know if im wrong.

Be aware, if the fixture is a Mac 500 and not a Mac 500E then the power for the fixture is 208v and up. Only the Electronic ballast version can be tapped to run at 120v.

I would also suggest caution, if a fixture has a cable cut off, it was done for a reason.

First off : Thanks to everyone so far for the information ^.^ This first week running 9 million $$ in Martin lights has been fun and a little bit informative. Today i fixed my first Martin 2000 that had glass in just about everywhere from a bulb that exploded (before i was working there). I had to take the entire thing apart and remove bits of glass for hours. But fixing my first martin light has helped me decided to tackle some more
(by the way i decided to leave the cut cord alone after all the advice-thanks guys)

friday night after lowering the Truss i found a Martin MAC 600E NT whos head had fallen off the base and was still being held on to by the wires. After removing it from the rig it appeared two screws had been loosened enough to cause the head to remove and bend the third screw that holds the head into an L shape. The wires appeared to be intact and connected. Should i just remove and replace the screw and put it back up or should i check something else too before i give it the green light to go back on the dance floor?

Last edited:
Hi guys,
The club i work at runs nothing but Martin lights and im expected to fix them and run them all.
Currently there are a bunch of broken 2000s and few broken 500s ...some of them are minor like a bulb but others need everything from new gobos and motors. There iseven one with a power cord cut off. I don't have much exp in the fixing of lights (more of the running them type) but my new awesome job wants me to fix them. also i dont know how to rig them right

Any advice?

Fixing such stuff is beyond my skill level. Paying to fix properly is also a safety thing. Part of the cost of running such or any wiggle lights in in factoring in the cost for fixing it just like buying a say BMW.. yea, you can perhaps. Able to keep it running on your own... At some point it being beyond your pay grade or skill level might limit your job status but on the other hand is honest.

Can send you for training, hire someone else or pay to get it fixed in the end I see. Not what you are there for other than in changing lamps and programming type stuff. The rigging part is seperate and serious but if at this point in other than factory in how they are easy to rig, that's also a someone more experienced problem to solve in getting to do and or teach.

Here boy, we need to drain off some stuff right here by touching this. Don't worry, it's unplugged. Do read the manuals but I think the concencious is to at least for the worst of them to send them in and or get someone out to get trained from, or can you go to the shop fixing them for some training?

Granted I don't mess with such fixtures but know many that do service them. Simple enough with training to fix stuff on them but as with knowing how to wire up an Edison plug poperly, it's a training thing.

friday night after lowering the Truss i found a Martin MAC 600E NT whos head had fallen off the base and was still being held on to by the wires. After removing it from the rig it appeared two screws had been loosened enough to cause the head to remove and bend the third screw that holds the head into an L shape. The wires appeared to be intact and connected. Should i just remove and replace the screw and put it back up or should i check something else too before i give it the green light to go back on the dance floor?

I've never worked on a 600E NT...

But... And I'm just throwing it out there... 'Three Screws' holding a moving head onto the yoke or the yoke onto the base sounds wrong... Oh so very wrong...

This is one of those 'judgement call' situations... If you think that the repair you make will be safe, and the head will not come down the the dance floor from the dance ceiling... Then by all means...

Asking us for our opinions is one thing, but at the end of the day, if it all goes horribly wrong, you'll be footing the blame.

If for any reason, you're uncertain. Stop. Evaluate. Trust your instincts.

If I recall these are actually bolts that hold the plate. They are supposed to have (If I recall correctly) lock washers on them. Sadly this is what happens when someone who might not be all that familiar with repairing these, or takes them apart and then some "minor" parts get lost or misplaced. Typically what happened (again just my opinion) is that the belt broke and it was replaced, but to do this the yoke needs to be removed from the base and the wires disconnected. when it all gets put back together I am quessinng someone for got to put back the lock washers, and so with the constand movement and vibration, they came loose, and with the torque on the belt the unit dropped down and then bent the bolt.

My earlier comment re the danger of shock is that when you try to TEST the unit (not after it has been sitting around for days or longer) but during testing when you need to apply power, you need to be careful since the cap will be fully charged and you can get a bit of a shock.

Sadly looks like the company is not willing to send you to any sort of schooling, and so your education will be sort of hit and miss.

Anyway make sure the belt is tight, that the stop is set correctly, and that the bolts that hold the yoke to the plate have the lock nuts and are tight, If the plate is bent or the attached nut for the bolt is damaged they you are going to have a problem. Check to make sure that the pan motor is secure, and that all the wires are correctly attached and not damaged or in a position to get damaged. Put the unit thru its test to make sure that it operates smoothly. I am guessing that the whole head with the pulley for the belt just came loose and dropped down so hopefully there is no damage to the shaft/pulley assembly that is driven by the belt. Check the belt to see if it is damaged, and needs to be replaced

Sharyn

Last edited:
I would like to clear a few things that i think might have been misunderstood. I am not a completely unexperienced Light tech/LD. I have a good amount of knowledge of how to fix many problems from 1980s models of lights to current lights. I know my DMX and i know my safety and programming too. Im just not very familiar with Martin lights. Due to the typical cost of there models and parts this is my first time working with them. Also this is my first job where i have had to rig lights to a movable truss. Also a lot of problems im facing come from the last LT/LJ that was employed before me, many of the lights problems are unlabeled and parts removed and left everywhere. Its taken me 3 days just to find what goes to what and ive just now started identifying the problems with the lights. (This is why i dont know if the edison plug was cut for a reason or not)
I have already successfully fixed 4 models and cleaned 10 (4 month old coke-a-cola really sucks when is all over a light)

Thanks much sharynf-- following your instructions i fixed the mac600 (it was as you said the whole head with the pully had come off and thankfully did no damage to light other then the bent bolt and and a broken bulb. I tested it today and everything seemed to be in order. I plan on putting it back up tomorrow.

I relize everyone here is just trying to be helpful and keep me from damaging equipment and possible hurting myself in the process. I understand that if i mess anything up it is on me and i am being very careful. I assure everyone here im not just running around with tools in my hand unscrewing things willy nilly and jamming parts together hoping they work :) (although it would be fun to make a Frankenstein light)

thanks again to everyone for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back