Martin Lighting MAC 2000 Profile II

Mckin89

Good evening. I’m looking for help with my moving light fixtures. We had a company donate 16 of these for our kids in drama theater, and for some reason I have replaced the bulbs, and when I try to spark them, they won’t turn on. Even when I try to spark it from the ion lighting board, it loses dmx, but if I don’t do it from the board, it still won’t come on and it loses dmx. I really need to figure it out. The kids were starting to get anxious. I really appreciate it for anybody who can help.

Attachments

• IMG_8381.jpeg
    IMG_8381.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 40
When you replaced the lamps did you reset the lamp counter on the fixture? I know some Mac 2ks had a safety feature for lamp hours, another thing to try if you're comfortable is to reseat any cables in the base of the fixture as the heat from operating may be loosening enough to drop a connection.

When you replaced the lamps did you reset the lamp counter on the fixture? I know some Mac 2ks had a safety feature for lamp hours, another thing to try if you're comfortable is to reseat any cables in the base of the fixture as the heat from operating may be loosening enough to drop a connection.
I will try this tomorrow when I get to the school. I have been getting the run around even from Martin, so hopefully this is the safety feature. I will let you know tomorrow once I try both hope this works!

Look at the lamp sockets, more important the lamps replaced. Putting a perfectly good lamp into a bad socket won't make it work. Putting a good lamp into a semi-working lamp socket will make that lamp last on average 100 hours less each lamp until it stops working. You might have the lamp sockets that have expired.

Look at all the lamps you replace as easier to see that heat damaged B&W or Osram burnt in tattoo on the base with heat damage and even arch welding on the bad lamp as an indication of bad socket. Believe spec is every four lamp change the socket, but short of doing gaff tape fixture count down on the fixture notes (perhaps not a bad idea,) look at your bad lamps to see lamp socket condition. Assuming clean filters and working fans, even a lamp over hours should still have the silver or gold coating on their bases that they came with. Short of that, above normal causes - filters, fans the fixture might warn you about, or sockets which is often more heat damage to the bad lamp socket.

Not aware of DMX issues but am aware of upgrades that are frequently done, are these to the newest upgrade?

As a lamp inspector, I grew to love these lamps. I really can tell within about 100 hours how long one of these lamps had been in use - tested many times on this. Other than Willie' the tech person that kept putting good lamps into bad sockets inspite of numerous e-mails to teach him..... 1,000 hours was a reliable well maintained fixture lamp life norm. In my opinion as opposed to those that use the fixture... I really liked that fixture.

Good luck and have fun with these fixtures. I grew up in the days before moving light and never learned them.

Last edited:
As a lamp inspector, I grew to love these lamps. I really can tell within about 100 hours how long one of these lamps had been in use - tested many times on this. Other than Willie' the tech person that kept putting good lamps into bad sockets inspite of numerous e-mails to teach him..... 1,000 hours was a reliable well maintained fixture lamp life norm. In my opinion as opposed to those that use the fixture... I really liked that fixture.
Is Willie an Irish fellow living on an Island off of Spain, if so I've toured with him and can understand the situation.

Just to confirm- did these fixture work prior to relamping?

Look at the lamp sockets, more important the lamps replaced. Putting a perfectly good lamp into a bad socket won't make it work. Putting a good lamp into a semi-working lamp socket will make that lamp last on average 100 hours less each lamp until it stops working. You might have the lamp sockets that have expired.

Look at all the lamps you replace as easier to see that heat damaged B&W or Osram burnt in tattoo on the base with heat damage and even arch welding on the bad lamp as an indication of bad socket. Believe spec is every four lamp change the socket, but short of doing gaff tape fixture count down on the fixture notes (perhaps not a bad idea,) look at your bad lamps to see lamp socket condition. Assuming clean filters and working fans, even a lamp over hours should still have the silver or gold coating on their bases that they came with. Short of that, above normal causes - filters, fans the fixture might warn you about, or sockets which is often more heat damage to the bad lamp socket.

Not aware of DMX issues but am aware of upgrades that are frequently done, are these to the newest upgrade?

Good luck and have fun with these fixtures. I grew up in the days before moving light and never learned them.
Hello thank you for the help this is a picture of the lamp fixture

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpeg
    IMG_1612.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 38
Is Willie an Irish fellow living on an Island off of Spain, if so I've toured with him and can understand the situation.

Just to confirm- did these fixture work prior to relamping?
That I don’t know the company said they did so I just thought it needed new lamps for the 3 I been using

I recently had some fixtures of a similar vintage (Roboscan 918's) that needed a new lamp striking capacitor. If everything else checks out that may be your issue. I didn't ever find a good way to test. Once they were replaced everything started working. I suspect like many things the capacitors have started going bad after 20 or so years.

I recently had some fixtures of a similar vintage (Roboscan 918's) that needed a new lamp striking capacitor. If everything else checks out that may be your issue. I didn't ever find a good way to test. Once they were replaced everything started working. I suspect like many things the capacitors have started going bad after 20 or so years.

I see good condition B&M lamp sockets and Phillips lamps both without indications of a lamp/socket problem,. For this one. Onto the next for ballast and other questions into what's the cause of the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back