Megalite DRAMA LED Ellipsiodal Problems

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Robert F Jarvis, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Robert F Jarvis

Robert F Jarvis Active Member

We have ten of these on a cove bar. One of them turns off after about ten/twenty minutes of use only to turn back on some minutes later. It's running in "P" mode (Single channel/address) and there are no FX in the program. It's intensity is controlled by our Phillips Strand console. All the others are good. I've seen LEDs (and regular dimmer packs) come on - AFTER the console was shut down - but never this intermittent behavior. Ideas/thoughts?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

macsound likes this.
  3. jonliles

jonliles Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Easy enough to pull down and trouble shoot.

In addition to what @RonHebbard suggests,it could also be a break in a solder line. As the unit heats up the break opens causing it to turn off. As it cools down, the pathway is closed and it comes back on. Any decent electronics shop would be able to execute that kind of of repair.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. Robert F Jarvis

Thanks Ron. Didn't think to look at the vents when 30' up there the other day. Once this show clears i'll take another look. As I said the other 9 are good.
    Re the On after shutdown we mainly get this with legacy lights coming off a ETC Sensor dimmer rack - so no terminator issues there. I think it may be a 20 years old CEM the theater are too tight to upgrade. When I use LEDS - I'm careful to use terminators on longer runs. Sooo! I'll watch out for it happening again and seeing if I can find out anything.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

One other thing you might try then next time you can be 30 feet up:), trade places with the unit that is acting up with another one that works right. Is the bad boy still bad in the new location? If so, you might consider a trip for it back to the mothership in Texas.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. Robert F Jarvis

Hoping to get up there Tuesday. I think I'll take it down and run it from a floor DMX until we work out what is worng. Thing is the units are still supposedly under warranty and I'm waiting for the admin here to contact APA who set it all up. Them or me; it's going to be easier then getting a scissor lift out half a dozen times.

microstar, JohnD and RonHebbard like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice