Control/Dimming MicroTech DMX vs. Swisson DMX Tester

Just wanted to let people know, I got the Swisson for Christmas, and so far, I think its a great device for the more advanced lighting tech to own.

Last edited:
Well it seems my Swisson XMT-120 is now out of date.

There is now an XMT-120A and an XMT-350.

Oh, and apparently the newer models also allow one to control all channels simultaneously, which mine does not.

Time to find out about upgrade costs I guess. However, it's not like I'm really using mine enough to justify paying for updating the hardware/software. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, I kinda want one bad.... anyone hear price points on these?

Good Morning all

Be careful when sending to ALL ch.
If you bump a full rig, the transformer may not like it much.
If your on a geny you'll get a lot of black smoke as the engine boogs down.

Production Advantage lists the X-MT-120A:
Swisson X-MT-120A-SET DMX Measurement Tool Set, w/ case and adapters
As far as free shipping from Premier, from the looks of it, it only applies to select items:
Premier Lighting - DMX, etc
Scroll down to the bottom of that page, the Lex Isolator seems to be the only item that has FS.
Something I really, REALLY like is Jack H's use of the word "BOOGS", yeah it is probably a typo, but I like that word, great term for a genny that has been severly taxed and is belching out black smoke.

Ah. Seems the price is about $60 greater on the XMT-120A as compared to what I payed for my XMT-120.

Swisson is going to be at LDI, booth 750, perhaps someone can stop by and find out price info on the XMT-350 and perhaps get a dealers list.

JohnD said:
Swisson is going to be at LDI, booth 750, perhaps someone can stop by and find out price info on the XMT-350 and perhaps get a dealers list.

If they could also inquire as to the cost of upgrading existing XMT-120's, why, that'd just be swell.

I have a Swisson and its saved my ass on numerous occasions. I also treat it roughly and it still works perfectly. I've even run a 3rd stage on it when one of my controllers failed mid-show.

I've never tried the other(s), but my toolbox never leaves the shop w/o the swisson aboard.

The only downside: It needs a feature/function that turns all channels to full.

Does anyone know if the current version of the Swssion added the capability to turn all channels at full?

Interesting. Still a tough decision. I like the data analyzation of the Swisson but I like the intuitive input on the Microtech.

One day I'll probably own both :p

I've used both. I own a Mico. Had it for years, never let me down. Swisson has some cool features, but has some options missing I think are important. First one is rate test. This has saved my ass on many occasions. The "all" channels test in the Micro is key. But I do like the cable test on the Swisson, none on the Micro. Lastly, if you are doing a lot of ML testing the Swisson has the fixture library, on the Micro you have to record a scene then use the edit scene function to maintain the 50/50 tilt and shutter open etc. etc. etc. Once you get used to it is easy, but can be a pain at first. For the money Micro is best.

My 2 cents,

Lorin Sly

Does anyone know if the current version of the Swssion added the capability to turn all channels at full?
Yes I have the 120A. It can do all channels at full. the 120A(maybe the 120) can also do interleaved channels. eg every 2nd, 3rd, 4th. The 120a adds a usb port and a fixture building software for windows. You can create profiles and load them to the 120a.

You can create scenes to playback; useful for focusing a conventional rig before flipping a desk. The moving light profile maker lets you fire up movers too. Also great if your guest LD kills the desk without lamping off your fixtures; you can do it from the tester.

There were also some more advanced diagnostic test features added to the 120A, but I have not really ever used them.

A big feature of the 350 is the addition RDM, but I have not used this product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back