Miking a Live Orchestra

Musykel

Hey Peeps!

Trying to decide.... Is it best to individually mic the orchestra or mic the atmosphere or even just mic each section? Its a 12 piece orch in a pit in front of the line arrays. The set is being built partly over the Pit on both sides. Which will make everybody alot closer than normal. Your thoughts?

Generally, I prefer to mic as specifically as possible, especially when there is the possibility of mains feedback. At a minimum, without knowing the style, layout, or instrumentation, I would go with 3 mics on a drumset (Bass, snare, overhead), an overhead for any additional percussion, a mic for each flute, a mic for clarinets, a mic for additional woodwinds, one or two mics for brass, and another mic if there is a standup bass or anything.

Working at the high school level, I personally haven't ever had to mic the pit before. I take a feed from the keyboard, but for the most part I just let the conductor take care of volume control and I will only mic something if it really needs it. I have never had the problem that the pit was too quiet, usually I'm asking them to play softer (I'm looking at you trumpets).

Like I said though, I'm at the HS level, and I have been spoiled by new auditoriums for the last three years so I may be getting soft. If you need the sound reinforcement, I would second Marshall's advice. You are in real danger for feedback so keep your mics close to the source.

At my high school, we constantly yell at the band director because he is too loud during our musical. When filming, we have to mic them so we ca record the sound and we just have a single shotgun mic in the back pointed at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back