Minimum needed to run automated lights?

I need a guy to run the console for Friday December 2nd. The dates changed and the guy I had lined up cant do it. PM me if you're interested. I dont yet have enough posts to post in the classifieds section. The gear list ended up being:

I'm booked that day but I'm in central Jersey with a Pearl console (and the rest of the lighting rig). Let me know if you have anything in the future.

Forgive me if I missed it, but which console? You probably don't want someone who knows only LightJockey if the control is a GMA2. OTOH, perhaps Gern could fly out with his Ions.;)

Yep, I gladly would have: have ATA flight cases, will travel! Yet, I too, am booked this Friday. Sorry.
In my world, (seems like) 99% of the time I get hired, THEN asked what console I want.
I'd add this about the gear: Safety First!
Sure, lots of folk might not, but, I ALWAYS use a UPS battery back-up on the complete console system( desk, monitors, opti's, gateways, switches etc. & paperwork computer. I use at least 1000w UPS's. If necessary -due to occupancy loading & venue constraints & level of down time acceptance by production- I will use small UPS's on opti's that are away from my desk, ie. dimmer rooms, out on the floor or perms.
I've only owned 2 (APC brand) UPS's in all this time!! First was a RM1200-built in 1989! Only 3 battery changes in all those years. I only traded it in for a Smart-UPS SC 1500 last year because I was bothered by the white residue inside the unit, I found on a battery change. I bought direct, with shipping it was under $400.
BTW, 2 new S.O.P. notes I got from company reps; ETC says: Power down console, leave the UPS turned on. Until ETC told me that I powered down my UPS every night as well. They say it will possibly make the console PSU live a little longer. APC: When UPS is not in use(read storage for months) leave it plugged in so the batteries don't drain. Draining to nothing and sitting is hard on the batteries. APC suggests that is why my circa 2001 batteries didn't last thru the repeated long hiatus' unplugged in the shop.

Isolated Optical splitters- I think a lot of people forget that opti's are not JUST beneficial for DMX signal distribution. They are a huge electrical surge safety valve! In the early 1990's I was on a show where 120V travelled down info lines burning up expensive gear along the way. Since I was told the opti wouldn't pass that surge through, I've used them EVERYTIME since at the desk for this reason. Safety first, yes, secondly over the years, it has been quickest to add a fixture to the show at a moments notice and run the new DMX line from my desk, as it was closer that the new fixture than the next open DMX slot elsewhere.

Last edited:
Gern is wise. And I echo all he says about both UPS and Optis. The bit about leaving the ups on with desk off is new to me. I turn my ups off at night (if I don't the thing beeps itself to death when the bullswitch is thrown on stage everynight.)

jesse - contact me off list - I might be available this Friday.

eiread at earthlink.net

Thanks,
In regards to my Ion, As I understand it being a computer, and most computers don't get unplugged each night, throwing the UPS switch applies power each time & the PSU lifespan will (probably) be shortened. I didn't realize that either till this year!
BTW, in the same conversation, ETC Techs told me they have heard of theaters NOT even powering down their console @ night. They kill the cans I'm told. Personally, while I may leave my computers on over night occasionally, I'd never leave the console on overnight in an unattended venue. But, that's my training.
Antidote below*

When working on studio lots, I have always preferred plugging into house power for my console work station and learning where the circuit breaker is for that outlet.
I always have at least a 100A lunchbox, for my peripherals, like work lights(If I was not able to run a dim line for my work lite!) heaters, chargers, iDock gear, and testing gear.
I figure, if the house breaker pops off, I walk around the desk and swap UPS tails into the rigs lunchbox. Then someone can try a breaker reset at the panel.
That way I didn't have to 'run' anywhere to restore power, it's right there at my station.

If it was the other way around; say I lost just the leg or the run of power the console is on, I'd be scrambling.

When, as a union crew member, working on locations, I will not plug into house power unless the boss above me takes responsibility. As I've been trained, if we plug into a location and there is a fire, for any electrical reason, say the locations old wiring caused the fire, not the rental gear we brought, WE ARE STILL RESPONSIBLE not the location. I don't feel like gambling THAT way in life...
We already brought the genie with us, I say use it, right?

Here's a story:
One TV 'pilot' gig I took, they had the rig hung, but were having trouble ringing it out. They didn't NEED a board op. cuz the LD was gonna do the board.
Would I come in and solve 3 issues, probably take me a 1/2 day they guessed, for an over-scale full day pay?
What are the issues?
1. It's an Expression3, & I can't get channel 501 to come up.
Uh-Huh. Next?
2. It's weird we have CD-80 Packs. But only the first 4 Channels work. Nothing out of Breakouts 5 & 6, for the whole rig.
Hmmm, yep. Next?
3. How do you get the board to go from one look to another?
Hmmm, what's the rate?
$600, just those problems & you're gone.
So, I get there.
1. Its an Expression3 400 Channel. I explain. Next.
2. "Not a CD-80 brand" dimmer phasing wasn't set correctly and was only powering 2/3 of the pack. I explain, we fix. Next.
3. I like to call them "cues". I explain...Set the light levels (1-400 only remember) to what you want. 1 @ FL, 2 @ 75, etc., till your done adjusting. Then Press Record Cue 1. etcetera. Stop/Back, Timing, Subs. I tell them all they want to hear.
He got it. I think, Of course he got it it's easy. I was gone in an hour. Then after 2 days they hired me to program the show. I was not available for shoot day, but I could do Tech the day before. I showed up early and was scared to find the Cans energized, the console on, GM down. I suspiciously Slowly raised the GM and sure enough: The set came up to a full look cue! WOW, Really. I programmed the show.
Before I left I explained recording to disc, suggested he get multiple discs, telling him I used 4 with Expressions since the early 2000's. They tend to fail. The following morning when I'm at my own show, he calls franticly saying he "lost the show!!" He had turned the board off & on repeatedly, read from disc: nothing. We went through his procedures to find the show, but, it was GONE. I explained calmly he needs to rebuild his cues. He cried to me he would ALWAYS hire a board op from now on.

?

They didn't NEED a board op. cuz the LD was gonna do the board.

I like to call them "cues".

I showed up early and was scared to find the Cans energized, the console on, GM down. I suspiciously Slowly raised the GM and sure enough: The set came up to a full look cue! WOW, Really. I programmed the show.

So Classic!!!! I feel you my brother.

Mostly I, too, have gone into house power. Here at Kaufman Astoria i walked into a show allready built and my cave allready configured...just add Ion. Lunch box included. Since I power down my console at night I never thought to re-configure. Tomorrow is our last day of this season here on Nurse Jackie. If I'm back next season I will probably follow your advice.

BTW jesse says he found a guy.

So Classic!!!! I feel you my brother.

Mostly I, too, have gone into house power. Here at Kaufman Astoria i walked into a show allready built and my cave allready configured...just add Ion. Lunch box included. Since I power down my console at night I never thought to re-configure. Tomorrow is our last day of this season here on Nurse Jackie. If I'm back next season I will probably follow your advice.

BTW jesse says he found a guy.

You're on Nurse Jackie? We should meet up some time, I live a short walk from kaufmann. (well the next time you're working there since tomorrow is the last day of that shoot)

You're on Nurse Jackie? We should meet up some time, I live a short walk from kaufmann. (well the next time you're working there since tomorrow is the last day of that shoot)

Victor

Tomorrow is the last day of shooting. We'll be wrapping for the next 2 weeks. More than happy to meet up. Lunch?

teddy

eiread at earthlink.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back