Mixers/Consoles Mix bus output sent to input channel

I use a Yamaha LS9-32 mixing console. We have a lot of stuff sent to Mix 9, some as pre-fader and some as post. I would like to listen to the final output coming off that bus but don't think the Cue button on Mix 9 is the best way. I'm pretty sure that the Cue is not at the very end of the signal chain (isn't it pre-fader?).

My idea is to take an unused input channel and patch Mix 9 to be the input for that channel. Then I could listen in the headphones to the Cue on that input channel and get an exact audio picture of what is coming off that bus.

This would necessitate that Mix 9 be routed two places: the original output location plus to the input channel. My problem is that I can't find any way to patch a mix bus as input to an input channel. Would somebody please tell me the best way to hear the final output from a mix bus? Thank you very much!

I don't recall ever trying to patch a mix output to an input channel, but I'm not sure why you would ever need that. I only ever put mixes on a custom layer so I can conveniently do just what I think you want, solo them in my phones. Cue is always pre-fader, but that just means pre- the mix 9 master fader. You're still hearing the final mix 9 accurately including any upstream channel gains/EQ/dynamics that are flowing into the mix regardless of whether those individual channels are being sent pre or post-fader. If you're talking about hearing what the mix 9 level sounds like on stage or in the house or wherever you're ultimately sending that output for listening, then of course you have to actually walk there and listen for real, but if you just want to make sure you are sending appropriate amounts of different signals into the mix then you can use cue without worry.

Edit: Wait, actually I think there is a setting buried somewhere where you can change the global setting for the cue function to either pre or post fader. Manual should have it...yup page 149. I guess if you want to use cue to compare levels of different mixes rather than to evaluate an individual mix that would be useful.

Last edited:
Okay, I guess you have indirectly answered my question. I've always been suspicious of a "pre-fader Cue" because that sounds like something which doesn't give an exact representation of what is being sent out. If that just means pre the mix 9 master fader than I guess it's okay. You say I will hear the final mix accurately with all the upstream modifications, so I guess I will just listen to the Mix 9 Cue and not worry about trying to patch to an input channel. Thanks for your clear explanation in answer to my question.

Thank you for the comment in your Edit remarks. I looked at page 149 and, sure enough, there are pre-fader and after-fader options. Good to know. I also read the section in the manual on the custom layer and can see that this is the place to do what I was originally intending to try. No need for that now. Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back