Mixers/Consoles mixer's phantom vs recording device's phantom

fultibor

Hello everyone! I got a bit confoused about something and I would like to ask your help. I would really appreciate it if you could help me. I have a digidesign 003+ and a yamaha mg166cx, and I would like to record my band's concerts, with Y cables (because mg166 doesn't have direct out). on the mixer the phantom is only one button for all of the channels (1-12) but with the 003 I can choose the channels singly. If I put phantom on one channel on the 003 (for example for a condenser microphone) will it ruin the mixer, or the other stuffs on another channels?

Using a "Y" cable and phantom power might cause a noise problem. I don't think it is a good idea to have two boards that are Y" together. I feel that you could have power going back into the board that dose not have phatom power turned on ...there are other tools like an active Y (Splitter) that will give you phantom power and NO signal lost

Last edited:
Using a Y cable is perfectly fine and is done every day. You only need to supply phantom from one source, so in this case I would use the 003 since you can apply it individually. If you end up sending phantom from both sources it won't hurt anything, but in general keep it from one source at the very least for the sake of consistency and avoiding confusion.

Also, just because it says "phantom power" doesn't necessarily mean that it's providing the full 48 volts (which some mics like to see). I'm going to guess that the Digidesign is built to better spec than the Yamaha so, again, power it from the 003.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back