Automated Fixtures Moving Light Integration.

rthally94

My high school is wanting to use some intelligent lighting for our next production. Our current lighting system is a series of conventionals with DMX on the dimmers. Our lighting board is incapable of running the moving lights due to the lack of enough DMX channels ( I believe 48). Would it be more cost effective to purchase a console such as a pilot 3000, a USB dongle for the grandma on pc, or rent a console with the lighting? I have experience with automated fixtures outside the school. Thanks for your help.

Try contacting a local dealer for some consoles and see if they can demo any out to you for the production. I know at a university level it's not uncommon, not sure about high schools.

I would definitely try to get a free demo before renting one or purchasing anything.

My high school is wanting to use some intelligent lighting for our next production. Our current lighting system is a series of conventionals with DMX on the dimmers. Our lighting board is incapable of running the moving lights due to the lack of enough DMX channels ( I believe 48). Would it be more cost effective to purchase a console such as a pilot 3000, a USB dongle for the grandma on pc, or rent a console with the lighting? I have experience with automated fixtures outside the school. Thanks for your help.

First of all, what console do you have and how many dimmers? If I had to guess, given the fact that you are in a high school, I would say an ETC Express as it was one of the most common consoles found in high schools. Odds are though, no matter what console it is, it probably supports more than 48 DMX outputs. It may not have more than 48 physical faders on it, but, while they do exists, there aren't too many consoles still in use that don't suport more channels/outputs than they have faders.

Now, depending on what you want to rent it may still be possible to go over the limits of your console. The ETC Express series was limited to either 192 or 256 control channels I believe. This would be plenty for 4-5 moving lights, but if you were going to rent say 10, it might be an issue. In terms of cost effectiveness, if you are going to need a different console, I would find out what your local shops have available for rental. If you actually tell us where you live, we may have members who can help you find the places with the best deals. I wouldn't go with any of the options you mentioned, for what you are doing I would look at an ETC Ion, Strand Palette, or a Hog system. While any of those three is going to have a much steeper learning curve than what you have, they will be easier to learn than want you mentioned. You also can probably rent them for a reasonable price.

I would like to add on to icewolf08's comment and say, from experience, that even with as few as 3 or 4 moving fixtures, they are a PAIN to use on an express. I would seriously consider at least renting a board along with the moving lights, even something like a smart-fade ML would do the trick, you could then control that via midi from the express, or run both consoles independently if that is easier for you.

Hope that helps

All ETC Express consoles are capable of 1024 outputs/addresses/dimmers (2 DMX512 universes).

Maximum channel count is as follows:
Express 24/48 - 96 max. channels
Express 48/96 - 192 max. channels
Express 72/144 - 240 max. channels
Express 125 - 125 max. channels
Express 250 - 250 max. channels

And do the Express consoles treat a single fixture as a channel, or as however many DMX addresses it takes. Ie, does a 6 channel LED use 6 of the 192 channels of a 48/96 or does it take 1?

I asked our teacher and she believed it was a strand console. I know it is an older one. It has been in the theater since it was first installed, probably 20-30 years ago. I do know that it has a golf ball looking encoder in the bottom right corner if that helps. I also know it only has 1 universe of DMX.

Nothing says Strand GSX like "golf ball looking encoder":

proxy.php

That's it! Buy what I read, it can control up to 125 channels of dimmers or scrollers. So I assume no movers.

You could control movers, just not very many, and it would be a PITA. Not impossible though. I'm sure MrsFooter or Footer could give suggestions if you wanted to use a GSX to control movers.

You could control movers, just not very many, and it would be a PITA. Not impossible though. I'm sure MrsFooter or Footer could give suggestions if you wanted to use a GSX to control movers.

We may end up using 6 of the Martin Roboscans for the production. I know the fixtures use 5 channels in tracking mode and 7 in vector. We may end up renting others if the current deal doesn't work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back