Moving Light Rentals

Anonymous067

I've gotten a couple options for rental of moving lights in my area...

Which of these is preferable/will work for my application (see other thread about concert lighting moving light patterns).

Options...

mac250
Elation 300E
ETC Rev

How big is your space? I'd take the Mac250 any day, but that's because I know it well (are we talking standard 250, 250+, 250Krypton or 250Entour?) - but it could be way underpowered for your space if you have hundreds of parcans which the movers are trying to punch through, or a throw that is really too long for the 250s. More info?!

Personally, I'd grab the MAC250 Entours. It has some solid stock gobos. With a small rig that'll give you some extra flexibility.

The 300s have a lot more punch and have the benefit of color mixing and can work as a wash fixture - plus i have to say I prefer the elation gobos over the mac250s

As long as you don't use the revolution.... ever, you'll be okay.

Space is a 400 seat auditorium. Right now the plan is looking like mac250 Entours.

Planning on rigging them on first electric, using first electric dropped down to like...12 feet above the stage. This saves me the hassel of dealing with rigging the lights from the catwalks.
It looks like the mac250's come with some type of mounting bracket to attach to a light bar (like a 2" diameter bar??).

Most of our stage lights are 575 ETC source 4 series, ellipsodials and pars.

On a side note (possibly worthy of a new thread)...how would one go about adding a DMX cable temorarily to a flown electric bar. We have a fly system but I don't know how I would run an xlr cable from the wall up to the electric and still be able to fly the electric all the way in and out.

Thoughts/suggestions?

...Planning on rigging them on first electric, using first electric dropped down to like...12 feet above the stage. ...
This may prove problematic, unless your electrics are equipped with constant-power, non-dimmed circuits. Running moving lights through a dimmer is a much-discussed topic, use the search.

...It looks like the mac250's come with some type of mounting bracket to attach to a light bar (like a 2" diameter bar??)...
The moving lights will come with an appropriate clamp attached to the mounting bracket. May be a C-Clamp, Half-Coupler, Trigger Clamp, or Mega-Claw; any of which will work with 2" tube or 1.9" O.D. pipe.

...On a side note (possibly worthy of a new thread)...how would one go about adding a DMX cable temporarily to a flown electric bar. We have a fly system but I don't know how I would run an xlr cable from the wall up to the electric and still be able to fly the electric all the way in and out. ...
The simplest way is off the end of the pipe and dropping to the floor. If the electric must fly all the way out during the show (doubtful), the data cable could be attached (taped, tied, or zip-tied) to the Borderlight cable feeding the electric. Obviously this method uses much more cable, and requires access to the grid.

On a side note (possibly worthy of a new thread)...how would one go about adding a DMX cable temorarily to a flown electric bar. We have a fly system but I don't know how I would run an xlr cable from the wall up to the electric and still be able to fly the electric all the way in and out.

As Derek said, you'd also need to get power up to the electric as well. Since all your options can run on AC power, you can just run a number of circuits (depending on how many fixtures you have) through power cable up to the electric along with a DMX line. To get it up there, the easiest way is to do a simple cable pick from the grid if you have one. With the electric at working height, tie a knot around the cables from a rope in the grid and pull the knot up until it's about halfway between the stage and the grid. This will allow the electric to travel from low trim to grid height without pulling on the cables, and will keep them high above the stage floor. If you'll need to grid your electrics, this is basically the only option. If you won't be flying your electric out much past trim, you can simply attach the cables to the wall above head height (6-8 feet) and then run them to the electric with a little bit of slack. The locking rail lights work really well for this, just tie your cables off with tie line and remember not to take the pipe too far out.

If the show(s) have specific requirements, check with the visiting LD or whoever is in charge of their tech.

Sounds like these are more rock type shows than theatrical. If so, I would go with either the Mac or the Elation. BUT if it's the Mac 250 or 250+, get the Elation. If it's the Krypton or Entour, I like the gobos better than the Elation, but I think Elation's colors are a little better. Overall, I like Martin better than Elation, but it's more a personal preference.

One thing I wouldn't do is get some of each, unless it's all that's available.

My two options as far as AC power are concerned...

Either set a dimmer to non-dim on the board and independant on the board...

Or...check and see (I seem to remember..) our electrics actually having 120 on them...
Maybe I'll surprise myself and find DMX in them too....

Either way, I own heavy 10 gauge extension cords, which will run with the DMX onto the electric from the stage left wall...

so many options....

BTW-as a student, I don't have access to the grid. Our district strictly prohibits this, even under strict supervision of the TD. He won't even SHOW me the grid. :[ (apparently he isn't really allowed up there, nor is there a reason on a regular day for him to go up there...)

A funny thought crossed my head today...the weight on the bar. I'm going to have to use other lights to balance the weight on that electric, because I'm also not allowed to throw weight, only remove and add lights. If I add two 50 pound movers, I'll need to pull off enough pars, parnels, and lekos to make up 100 pounds, give or take, and considering that particular electric is already out of balance (pretty sure it's arbor heavy right now...)...grr...

GREAAAAAT... another one of those fun situations where no one can re-weight. Not surprising they don't let you guys up there. I was actually up on the grid working today and intended to take some pictures for a friend, but forgot. Too bad... otherwise I'd post those for you.

With movers you CANNOT just set dimmers to non-dim. As has been explained many times around here (do a search if you want the science), the waveform is different and can badly damage the fixtures. You need to use a ML distro or outlets.

You're going to run DMX through an extension cord? Like edison? Uh, how bout a DMX cable... edison would be a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back