Vintage Lighting Need a little help!

Hi all I am brand new to your forum and hope someone has a little knowledge on what I have acquired. My home town is getting a new high school built and is about two weeks out from demolition day. I rescued the stage lighting from the auditorium but am unaware of what they are, age, value, anything! All I know is that I got them home and they worked. They are all 16' long bars. I just couldn't see them destroyed for no good reason. I did find a Hub Electric ID on them and will attach all pics of them that I have. Anything on these helps! I know that the school was built in the 20's and the last update to the auditorium had been done in the 50's. Thanks! 20120916_153826.jpg20120916_153845.jpg20120916_153816.jpg

Many different names for what you have: striplight, borderlight, X-Rays.
... I just couldn't see them destroyed for no good reason. ...
Sorry to say that they are almost worthless, having been replaced by the brighter and more flexible R40 strip, which currently is being obsoleted by the LED batten.

Using a 75-150W A-lamp or PS-lamp, they were never very bright, and their heft and size makes them impractical to transport. Furthermore, with wiring in them as old as it is, they could be dangerous. It looks like you only have a couple of rondel s; those could be worth $1-$10 on eBay to someone who needs them.

The manufacturer, Hub Electric Company was a supplier to schools and institutions for a good long time. I believe they moved to the suburbs from their W. Grand Ave., Chicago address in the late 1960s.

[Click on any dotted yellow underlined word to be taken to its wiki definition for more information.]

The lights came with a full box of colored rondels red and blue while most on them now are clear. I know they couldn't be worth anything as far as comparing to new types of lighting. That is like comparing an Edsel to a new Cadillac. They will end up being hung in the rafters of my resto shop. I just didn't know if they would have any value as far as collectors or from a vintage standpoint. Thanks

Kinda OT, but you may want to see if there is any vintage audio or anything else worth saving in the space. Old horn arrays can usually fetch big bucks with collectors and audiophiles. The same goes for any old amps or RtoR decks.

Good ol' striplights. I have a bunch of similar strips in storage (4 - 8' sections and 2 - 5' sections). I forget who the manufacturer was, but I want to say Hub. If you can transport them, they're great for shows where you need a broad wash of color (if the facility's dimmers can support them), or footlights if you're doing a retro show and want that feel -- Chorus Line, Our Town and Grease come to mind. The lights themselves may not be worth much, but I'd hang on to them as long as you have the space because they're quickly becoming a thing of the past. Scrapping them would get you pennies on the dollar. I once scrapped a bunch of those aluminum A-lamp reflectors and only got about $15 -- definitely not even worth the hassle of removing them. If you're handy, you might could even cut them down to more portable lengths and have a sheet metal shop make new endcaps for the cut sections.

The roundels are becoming hard to find. You can still buy them new but they're something like $14 each. Even if you're not planning on using them, I'd hang on to them for as long as you own the lights. What all colors do you have? Oh, and I'd say these definitely came with the remodel in the 50's.

I also second what Aman121 says. I'd take anything you can carry out that is theatre-specific. Or not, for that matter. And I can vouch for the fact that old horn arrays can definitely be worth something. The Holy Grail would be an Altec Multicell.

Thanks guys. I was gonna do another walkthrough before it is tore down to see what else I can snag. I grabbed the original lit exit signs from over the doors in the auditorium and found they were worth about 250 a piece so I think I'm coming out alright on my findings overall =). By the way all the rondels I found were red and blue. The ones on the lights when I picked them up were all clear and frosted clears with just a few red and blues in them. Altogether I have probably 130 of them so I've got a good stack of em. I'm not planning on selling them anytime soon I just had no idea what they were or anything like that. I appreciate it!

You might call a few local community theater groups to see if they're interested in them. Maybe donate a few for a tax write off. They work well for lighting a rear cyc. Many theater groups work on a tight budget and would appreciate the donation.

Ah’ the long strip light shame.
This past Spring I worked on one that had porcelain reflectors that in addition to having to re-wire and work on the metal parts to, I also had to re-porcelain the reflectors which was a really messy process. At least your Major’s are Alzark process in spun aluminum reflector.

Done a few of these similar amongst other types a few years ago and they are still useful for color mixing say in a Junior High School or Grade School setting. Strip lights to wash with, side light in modern fixtures to badly light but let the kids get their lime light. Heck, six banks of 6' of them helped in any number of was especialy in doing blue to establish night both in small and large stages thru just plain wash of light. Color washing and mixing ability of a strip light beyond blue has an amazing effect on the broad lighting - you can make magic with what they can do when supplemented by other lighting. They are useful.

Dependant on what lamp this fixture was designed for - A21 or A19, you might need overall to do like at $6.00 each in going A-19 halogen lamp if the smaller lamp don’t fit in buying E-26 based socket extenders so as to lengthen the lamp socket in fitting the now shorter Halogen lamp. Osram/Sylvania #18970 amongst other brands possibly selling them solves this intensity and color temperature problem in using strip lights - though still large in wattage. A good dimmable LED - A-19 lamp replacement at like $50.00 each would also solve that problem. Could be cost prohivitive and LED’s in full color spectrum with the roundells could make for further problems though. As a LED boarder light though... It’s a concept.

A 16' bar of light is mostly obsolete these days, and they would need re-wiring no matter what you end up doing with them. There has been past articles on the forum about how to do so, and saving the lamp sockets that are probably toast, and at least hard to remove the wiring on them is hard, is still possible. Cutting them in half to make them more user friendly is also possible if you have a few of them and some of them become spare parts in making whole fixtrures.

Overall, I would look into if you for your shop want to use them, they are really viable given the Osram lamps above, this assuming they don’t need the socket extenders. If they do need socket extenders... probably not worth working on. As for donating for tax write off... should only be done if safe to use and no doubt in current condition they should be retired.

Sorry in as I do collect antique lighting fixtures for a museum, even specilize in them, strip lights as said are very obsolete and given their size limited in able to sell off. Even I don’t collect them for my own museum. Roundells are valuable at least as with probably the gel frames that mount them. After that, a lot of work that might be a lost cause in making something viable for a fixture once re-wired and reserviced, but really expensive in doing so.

Of all antique lights, sorry to say but old strip lights, while if you were local I would at least hang them, give them to Less if more local than me, they have no value and cost prohibitive to fix in making safe or viable. Metal scrap on them will get you something at least. Unless you can do the asbestos abatement and full re-wire, giving them away is no favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Van
Hello, I am looking for parts for a similar strip of Hub lights. Our set uses 5 5/8 roundels (see photo below). In the event you have the same size and have spare parts, we need 4 reflectors similar to those shown in order to restore what we have at our middle school. No funds to upgrade so we have to make due (luckily it all works)

Also - we have vintage Hub footlights and need a bunch of roundels for these as well. The roundels are about 4.25 inches in diameter and I need about 14 red, 16 green and 15 blue.

If you are anyomne reading this can help, we would much appreciate it.

ThanksEgan Family 415.jpg

Sorry, Ihave a bunch of Medium flood 4.3/8" frosted lenses and green medium flood 5.5/8" roundels plus a clear frosted one in stock. No help. On the reflectors... hmm that's probably an impossible find given how many just go to scrap yards. Remember visiting my home theater last year, the long strip lights that were in my day strapped to the walls behind the spiral stair cases to the gallery in saving, were gone and nothing saved. Granted I took part also in the 90's in removing some that were still myself given the others were in storage. Never thought of saving parts of them, and E-Bay was not thought of yet back than. Can forgive me for getting rid of them though - they were on a counterbalance system without rope lock with hemp rope so old that when I moved them each time, the rope broke and the bars crashed six feet above the floor - origional rope and installation from like 1911 that was abandoned in the 50's or early 60's and never moved again in taking up fly space since. I had no concept back than about antiques - though while I have at times worked on strips, I don't personally collect them - just take up too much space.

Consider cutting down the fixtures for the amount of reflectors you have and or the amount of roundels you can get. Also consider rewiring for four circuit - blue/amber/red and clear in eating up slots.

Obsolete yes, but magic can still be made with them.

Last edited:
Hello, I am looking for parts for a similar strip of Hub lights. Our set uses 5 5/8 roundels (see photo below). In the event you have the same size and have spare parts, we need 4 reflectors similar to those shown in order to restore what we have at our middle school. No funds to upgrade so we have to make due (luckily it all works)

Also - we have vintage Hub footlights and need a bunch of roundels for these as well. The roundels are about 4.25 inches in diameter and I need about 14 red, 16 green and 15 blue.

If you are anyomne reading this can help, we would much appreciate it.

ThanksView attachment 9050

I think I can help. I chimed in earlier about having similar strips as the original poster. I still have those strips and while I scrapped some others that were more purpose-built footlights, I did save about a dozen reflectors to use as spares. I am planning on going to my storage unit this weekend -- would you like me to take a look and see what I have?

If you need any 5-5/8 roundels, I have those as well. I have red, blue, green and clear in frosted and red, blue, clear, amber in un-frosted. Sorry to say, I don't have any of the 4.5" roundels, but Barbizon Stage Lighting could probably get them for you, or you could call Altman Stage Lighting (manufacturer) directly.

Roundels are extremely expensive (I think up to around $20/ea for the 4.5) so keep an eye on eBay for used roundels. The search terms "altman light" and "vintage stage light" sometimes bring useful results.

PM me if I can be of help!

Thanks for the reply to the PM about the lights before. I just sent a follow-up message. I am just posting here on the forum hoping it will send out an email alert to check for the message. Thanks!

Consider cutting down the fixtures for the amount of reflectors you have and or the amount of roundels you can get. Also consider rewiring for four circuit - blue/amber/red and clear in eating up slots.

Obsolete yes, but magic can still be made with them.
This manufacturer is known to have used asbestos wiring in their lighting fixtures of this era, you should probably avoid trying to modify them on your own.

I mean, *most* from this era used asbestos wiring somewhere, but still.

And if it's not asbestos, the insulation can be doped with PCBs (no, not the circuit board kind.), though good information on this is incredibly hard to come across.

EDIT:
oops. This is old.
I clicked new post, saw the above post, and didn't think to check the original post date 😓

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back