Need advice/recommendations about intercom system

scantine

Need advice/recommendations about intercom system. I operate a 102 year old restored Opera House in KS. We currently have an ancient telex master box with 3 headset stations which was probably installed in 1980 when the place was restored. I'm not sure they have ever been used much. The boxes are not in places that we really need them anymore. We do need communication between back stage, light/sound tech area and second & third floor balconies (for spot). We suffer from the same budget constraints as most small theatres in rural Ameica do. We have a set of Motorola walkie talkies with headsets that have sufficed for basic usage.

We have a show coming in that wants us to provide clear com or telex stations (4-5). Should I try to rent these? I've been thinking that we should just bite the bullet and purchase something but we can't afford the telex or clear com. I've found some Eartek that seem reasonable. Should we be looking for wireless/ digital? I would say the distance between units would be a max of 150 feet.

Do you have wiring in place to plug the headsets into? If you do, Production Intercom is the way to go. You should be able to pick up something cheaper then telex or clearcom. Their gear is also pretty rock solid.

If you don't have the wiring in place and have to go wireless, it still might be cheaper either get the cable properly installed or to temporally wire the place up with cable and install the cable properly down the line. Unless eartec has changed drastically in the last 2 years, I would not touch that stuff with a 30' pole with a clown on the end. Wireless com systems are not cheap, and they are not cheap for a reason.

If you just want to get a wireless system for the time the show is in, you might want to give a call to the guys at TSI in Wichita. If they don't have what you need, they should be able find it for you. They are big supporters of theatre in Kansas.

Before replacing your current system, I would look into expanding it. Since cables are already run to some locations, half your work is done.
My suggestion would be to determine where you want to have beltpacks, and find out of there is cable run to these locations. For instance, if you want headsets backstage, is there an audio snake that runs there? This could easilly be tied into the preexisting system, and then you just need to purchase a few beltpacks and headsets.
Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back