Vintage Lighting Need help ID'ing this fixture...

dheckler587

Hello all,

Came across this light that I want to restore. I have no idea who the manufacturer may be, cannot find a model number of any kind. Would also like to try and figure out what year it may have been made. Only an extruded "BRITELITE" and "750", which I assume was the wattage. Pictures attached.

Thanks!
Derek

IMG_3828.JPGIMG_3829.JPGIMG_3830.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 378
Mr. Heckler -- I remember you from the Xanga days! You also know my friend Derek Deiterman. Small [-]world[/-] industry!

I am a bit perplexed by the fixture you have. It almost looks like a cross between a Strand Patt. 123 and something Major or Leco might have made (based on the rear ventilation slots). Here's a thread with a similar looking fixture, but I don't feel like it's the same manufacturer. The tubular yoke and odd clutch is what really throws it off, as well as the unusually tapered front-end.

The link in the first post is still active, surprisingly.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/4820-id-old-fixtures-major-leco.html.

We do have a few guys here who can give a pretty good shot at ID'ing it (ship, Derekleffew) and I'll be watching this thread since I'm curious now as well.

Last edited:
well considering it says Brite Lite on the side that would probably be a good term to search, Its a fresnel by the looks of it, the rear handle is for focusing as it doesn't look to be connected to anything inside for mechanics, the side has the reflector train knob which is that round black. My guess is it was a small companies version of a fresnel and to try and differentiate themselves made it look more "sleek" looking, gives me the 1970's era look.

Wow, that thing looks like it has literally been used as a boat anchor.

Def. a Fresnel, probably a studio Fresnel from the focusing handle and the Medium Bi Post G22 socket. If I was forced to guess a date maybe 50's/60's?

Wow......resurrection doesn't even begin to describe this project. Godspeed and good luck, brave soldier.

The castings do look pretty rough but I'll bet once they get sandblasted (or better yet, bead/soda blasted) it'll work out pretty well.

Wow!!!

I read "Poo Poo (yoke in the way) Lite" in initial reading of brand. Really bad name brand if Shi!! for a brand name. Very Farm fresh and agree in try to clean than match up the paint first if restoring before lost, than total sand blast. G-22 socket from the 36' thru later 50's period in funny how initially it was a P28s, than went to that (also easy to restore socket type in probably after wiring and in-depth cleaning and treating isn't needed to replace the socket), than back in history to the P-28s socket. Don't sand blast any gearing mechinisms or the lamp socket - they take extra care with vaious Dremmel wheels. Also the reflector will be interesting if silvered in not polishing too much or aluminum that will age it further.

First thoughts on what it is - looks a lot like a very early PC style to a Bantam Superspot combined with where Grand stage took it by way of at least rear casting vent shape. Love the bronze top cover to it and totally unusual. Thinking it's not a Fresnel given the angle of the reflector and probably made for a G-30 size or possibly larger lamp. I note and inventory fixtures with similar globe medium bi-post lamps from 1936-1957 in use on Fresnels. But I possibly don't think it's a Fresnel - reflector a little deep an length a little long. Might be a PC fixture. Rear crank style what ever it is given research and bronze parts like that hood going to be earlier than later.

Measure the exact lens size as very important, thinking a PC given length but could be Fresnel also. Thinking it will have been a globe lamp and probably some form of G-30 size at 500w or around that range in a very much pre-me knowing about globe lamp in depth for a Bi-pin version. Does that reflector hinge/spring backwards? Might be a detail in figuring out date of globe lamp in it or tube lamp (roughly the same era) but a little later in telling date and often a more shallow reflector was now able - also a shorter fixture.

Lots of re-viewing the photos... thoughts what's that bottom caster looking knob on it for? Only seeing a single hole for wiring to get out which is interesting but don't persay mean age - just perhaps lower wattage. See the pipe yoke and it in style says movie/photo type light in style used. Too bad we don't see the spud clamp type I think up there in confirming that it's not a stage light fixture but a photo or studio light fixture.

There are various lots of websites like this with experts on studio/movie lights. If search onto the namebrand cast into it doesn't go far in figuring it out, I would expand my search into the camera/Movie light industry websites. I don't think this is a theater light which at least for me is more inside my research area.

Certainly let us all know (especialy PM me as I'm a lot less active on the website these days) with anything you find. Sorry won't buy anything I advise on if selling, and you are a bit far away for me to work on for free if you say have a second one for my museum. You have something very rare from say 36' thru 57' but I would bank on earlier given other details above. Think it's a PC fixture and a studio type fixture in expecting a spud atachment above.

Last edited:
I should have been a bit more clear in stating that this is for sure a Fresnel-type unit. I had popped out the lens, made by Kopp Glass, to clean earlier. As you can see it does have pretty extensive water damage, as it has been sitting in a vacant building next to our theatre that has been decrepit for a years.. I'll have to look into local businesses for the sandblasting process.

Fresnel lens removed - Kopp being the most often used brand for new or replacement. Possible, but also possible a wide focus PC lens given the size of the snout.

Lack of gel frame bracket also says studio or photography light for place to start research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back