New DMX Splitter

highschooltech

I was wondering if any one could recommend a good yet cheap1 in 4 or 5 out dmx opti splitter. I was looking at the elation Opto Branch 4 and was wondering if it is any good due to the name and low price (under $200 from the right dealer).

It's more durable than Chauvet and less so than Fleenor. I've never had any problems with the one I have (rack mount).

I have used a couple, both of which have been highly abused for a year+ or so now. By abused, I mean riding around in a road case with cables, lights, dimmers, gel frames, and safeties thrown all over the things. They are both still working, and no problems thus far. I also a lot of times link them over 200+ feet, then the 2nd has another few hundred feet on it till the fixtures as well, so they do there job. Don't ask me why they aren't in a road case, it is not my company.

I have the Elation Branch 4, and it has been working just fine. In reality (though not recommended) you can get 8 outs from it as it has both 3 and 5 pin outs for each of the 4 outputs. So, in a pinch you can connect up a bunch of gear. The combination of having both 3 and 5 pin outputs is also nice if you have both types of devices, in that you need fewer adapters.

Mine lives in a fixed position mostly to feed FOH positions, so it doesn't get beat up or anything (though it does collect dust). So far no problems, so I can't complain. Plus, it was so inexpensive that if it ever does fail it isn't a huge deal to replace.

The Martin RS-485 is pretty much bulletproof.
Way better than any Avo models that love failing when you're programming!

I have a martin RS-485, internally it looks identical to the elation splitter. My martin was built back when martin was switching over to led free soldering and it had lots of bad internal traces and solder joints. I should take a pic of the inside, I have jumper wires jumping everything together, bypassing the pcb. Primarily it was the power side of the pcb failing, internally you have a seperate transformer for each dmx output and that is what was failing as far as solder traces go. But it is a good little splitter and I would like to pick some more up one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back