Loudspeakers New head units for school

macwhiz

My school does many dances and was looking for a sound system to use for the dances and also be used as a PA system. They were thinking of getting 2 15 inch subs, 2 15 inch heads, and 2 10 inch heads for reinforcement. Would this be good for a large gym? (100x150)

How long is a piece of string?

What I mean is, we need a few more details. For example, are there any particular products being considered? What are their wattages and sensitivity ratings? What type of amps are being considered? Passive or active? These factors tell us a lot more than woofer size. There are great 10" cabs out there that will outperform lower-end 15's in certain situations.

Last edited:
How long is a piece of string?

Shorter...now that we've cut it.

What I mean is, we need a few more details. For example, are there any particular products being considered? What are their wattages and sensitivity ratings? What type of amps are being considered? Passive or active? These factors tell us a lot more than woofer size. There are great 10" cabs out there that will outperform lower-end 15's in certain situations.

What is budget like? How much is that suppose to cover? And, what do you have now as far as power, cabling, existing equipment, etc.? Would this be an installed system, or will it be expected to be used in other locations?

I just got a disappointing call from our theater engineer, we were on low budget and they just ended up getting a kit with 2 15 inch gemini GSM speakers...:evil:

Last edited:
I thought "head unit" referred to the receiver of a car stereo system. Wikipedia confirms my use of the term. Does it (miss) apply to speakers now?

Then there is the screwy term of "head amp," which apparently is one manufacturer's bad english translation for mic preamp. I ask that we please attempt to use proper terminology here.

Last edited:
Only time I've heard the term head in professional audio describes an amp head sitting on top of a speaker cab for guitar or bass.

Only time I've heard the term head in professional audio describes an amp head sitting on top of a speaker cab for guitar or bass.

Our techs use the term head for the speaker cabs on top of our subs...Whats the usual term for those speakers?

Our techs use the term head for the speaker cabs on top of our subs...Whats the usual term for those speakers?

"Cabs" as in cabinets is pretty standard slang.

Ex: 15" cab, 12" cab, etc. You can also say '15" full-range cab' if you're wanting to make sure the recipient knows that you're referring to a box with a 15" woofer and horn/tweeter. You can go further to emphasize whether it's passive or active (built-in amp). The main thing is to try not to cross in to terminology frequently used for other gear. As mentioned above, I've mostly seen 'head' describe a mixer/amp combo unit.

Or, you can just say 15" speaker. Usually it will be assumed that it's full range; otherwise you'd call it a subwoofer.

"Mains" is quite common and refers to the function, e.g. mains, subs, floor monitors, front fills, practicals, delay fills, under balcony fills, side fills, etc. You may even use the same speakers for multiple of these, but in each case they are referenced by the related use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back