New to the forum. Just to drop by and say hi :)

Hi guys I am a year 12 student from Hong Kong... yep, i guess quite far away from anyone on this forum i guess. I discovered this forum while i was doing some google-ing and found the forum quite impressive... Just wanna sign up and should come back here for help when I need it for a production :)
Basically there're not a lot of people working on technical stuff in my school and I had tried a bit a everything... Control room management... Sound control... Lighting design + control... Spotlight operation... umm... you name whatever a school production
should involve and I should have at least touch onto it at some stage. (Besides acting... Despite that I used to be a drama student and it was drama which brought me into all of this)
I have i should say more of "specialized" into lighting lately but it's really still very amateur compared to most who visit the site.
My school is honestly speaking pretty well off as we are a private school and we have pretty nice equipment that i deal with and productions that i have participated in include Beauty and the Beast, Joesph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Godspell most recently (my school has actually brought right to do these shows... huge sum of money spent seriously...), but yet the problem I often face is that our school has most of the stuff fixed and we ain't allow to really modify them so we're really bound to what we have (simply changing the gel color for a couple of stage lighting took me two weeks...) There're professional-ish people in our school who are in maintain the system but they have got a lot to do and it's usually us the student who does the operating...
Another trouble that I often have to face is that no one really appreciate technical work in my school... Our director for all of out school production and my friends who know how hard it can be sometime through me are the only ones who appreciates it but everyone else simply assume that it should be done in a click of a switch...
It's sometime annoying to have to face these people and it's good that there's this forum where people actually understands the toughness of the task and how I have to press more then one button for a light to go on :)

Welcome to the board. Since we know what you are doing, why don't lust what you are using, dimmers, board and lights.

well i am not too sure what equipment i work with exactly lol as i do not have to buy them but mostly only operates them...
for sound we have a reverb unit (which i had just learn to use recently...) and a couple of eq unit (which i still don't dare touch...). we have a 32 channel soundcraft soundboard(i don't know the model...) for our auditorium(which is where i usually work in... but we have equipment elsewhere as well...) since it's a analog soundboard the tech people had gotten a 16 channel (or is it 12? unsure) digital soundbard... i have no idea how they are gonna wire everything up as they are going to keep the analog board so i'll just have to wait and see...
as for lights... i work with four intelligent lighting which doesn't work too well... it takes them a long time to warm up and the response is not that good for some reason... the tech people said there's a problem with the wireless transmission of signal but they haven't figure out a way to fix it... it has gone dead in previous shows but since it's not completely dead i guess my school aint gonna replace it... i don't even know the brand of my light board... but i have a A B master for the board which i can crossfade with... but since what i do is usually rehearsed i simply programme everything before hand...
the best thing about our auditorium is that we had recently got infra-red cams on the stage so we can actually see during a blackout from the control room and it's kinda cool to see when no one else can LOL

oh and yeah... i have 4 face light for the stage and around 30 colored light on the stage...

If you are using wireless for your DMX, signal to your movers, that is very unreliable. At some point when you are at school, see what board and dimmers you are using. It sounds like it make be possible to get wired DMX to your lights, for little money, and greatly improve reliability. When you find out, post a thread in the lighting section and maybe we can help you out.

Cool to see people from all over the world here. We've heard from people from people in everywhere from Isreal to Russia. Hehe I was just thinking about my one college room mate who was from Hong Kong the other day.

Im sure you will find this site a HUGE resource. The Wiki is packed with useful reference information, and with a quick search on most any topic you'll find lots of cool information and discussion.

We have people from many walks of life here from people who do tech for weddings and special events to people who work on 'the big shows'. And pretty much all of us are more than willing to render help or advice.

Kind of curious to what kind of gear you are actually working with.

Cheers from Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back